Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 1 - July 2019 Lou Reed - The Blue Mask

Okay, I am not manually reading through 3,000 plus entries 250 per page so I will just throw this one on the table.

Timbuk 3 just because it’s eighties everyone forgot about that I actually really liked probably because I was young and stupid but whatever it was awesome on the roller rink. I think it was my first cassette tape I got with my own money, either that or License to Ill, coincidentally is 80’s not jazz that is a far more likely pick over Timbuk 3 but probably much more expensive.

Nice guess. As heard in Tommy Boy, one of the most likeable movies ever.

I once went to a Pere Ubu show just because Nels Cline was playing with them. Great show!

Here’s to going to shows alone in your early 20’s because no one has any idea what a Ubu is.

Lovely early 20s, when going to a concert by yourself was fine and no one blinked an eye. I was in the front row, full of youth, cigarettes, alcohol and vigour. Nowadays i’d Just be that grey haired weirdo lurking in the back row by himself full of coffee, tiredness and a fear of youth itself.

Lovely early 20s, when going to a concert by yourself was fine and no one blinked an eye. I was in the front row, full of youth, cigarettes, alcohol and vigour. Nowadays i’d Just be that grey haired weirdo lurking in the back row by himself full of coffee, tiredness and a fear of youth itself.

I still go to gigs on my own haha! No one I know in Dublin is really fussed lol!

It does mean I don’t go to big outdoor ones though, they are pretty shit on your own lol

Greetings all,
Following the great success of the initial AOTM choice by @Skalap I have been handed the poison chalice of following him. After his well thought out clues and arty, tasteful pick I am obviously the perfect pick to follow on with something similar. Or maybe it’s time for something completely different.

The main reason for picking this album was to get something that I genuinely love and think should be in your collections. The same reason we will all apply in our choices. As this is the announcement I will provide you with 3 clues to start, they may be of little use to you now but I will be happy to see your suggestions which I have always found to be as interesting as the actual announcement. Good luck.

Clue 1 - It’s 80s

Clue 2 - Not Jazz this time.

Clue 3 - It’s not in the Discogs accounts of @Skalap @Woob_woob or @Enoch when I checked them last night (but seeing the way those guys buy records that might have changed)

If they have every 80s U2 album then no.

Oh wait! So it's not the artist that is not in our collections, it's the record, right?

So it's not U2, Smiths, Joy Division, David Bowie, Bauhaus, Cure, Cocteau Twins, Stone Roses, Pogues, Queen, Prince, Depeche Mode, Police, Dire Straits, RUN DMC, Metallica, Sonic Youth, Beastie Boys nor Pixies. [EDIT] I misunderstood the hint and it actually can be any of these, it can even be Wham!

So I spent some time browsing your Discogs collection and I'll guess Pere Ubu - Terminal Tower.

Released in 1985
Not jazz
Not in our collection
Man I’d love it to be Wham! :ROFLMAO:

So I’m going to posit a guess that’s a little more serious than my last one...

I think this is one of the top 5-10 albums of the 80s, it’s not jazz and it’s not in any of the discogs. It is in @Murfocakes discog (I’d have been very disappointed if it wasn’t!)

Straight from Scotland, a band that sounds like The Beach Boys reinterpreted through distortion and feedback drenched guitar white noise...

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

Back