Need some help with a decision...

eatdogs

Ok, so here's the deal. I'm needing just one more release by Burial and if I can get it I'll have my first complete collection of records by one artist. The issue is that the one record I need is the very rare and expensive Massive Attack "Four Walls / Paradise Circus" remix album.

Only 1000 copies were made and hand numbered plus an exclusive silk screened cover made by 3D of Massive Attack I think.

At the moment I don't have the expendable cash to buy this, but I could possibly get it if I sell three of my rarest records. The records come from a label that only does super limited runs of specific metal artists and they sell out within minutes of being released. I recently sold two of them and got almost 300 bucks. I figure now is the time to sell these while they are still wanted and get the money and then go try and buy this one record.

My question is, what would you do? Sell some records to earn enough money to buy one big whale album, or perhaps just sit back and keep waiting? I'm not attached to the three metal records honestly. But just the thought of spending that huge amount of money on one record really hits a nerve and I'm having conflicting thoughts...

Personally, I would go with whatever makes me the happiest. I don't often sell my records, but if it just sits on my shelf for ages without being played and doesn't have any other sentimental value to me, I would rather get rid of it so I can get something else.

It sounds like you don't really care about these valuable metal records and really care about the Burial record, so from that perspective I think that's clearly the move. Assuming there's nothing else you want/need the money for more right now, I don't see anything wrong with going for it. I get that it's a lot of money, but at the end of the day I would just go with what feels right to you.

OK SO CHECK THIS OUT!

I took a shot asking a collector on Discogs and they wrote me back this:

"I do still have two extra copies - they're in plain white inner sleeves, basically unplayed because it just doesn't make sense to play them, the pressing's so FUBARed. I've been thinking about selling them every now and then, but the problem is that I don't want them to end up with someone who just wants to make money by re-listing them at a higher price someone is willing to pay for them. It's a conundrum, because I can't in good conscience ask too much for them myself because of the pressing quality, but if I set the price too low there's always the chance that it will be resold for profit due to collector value.What would your fair price be?"

Ok so it's looking like there's something maybe happening here. I gotta be careful what I do now. The issue is that there's nothing but a plain white sleeve. The artwork is one of the best things about the record. Of course if I got this I would maybe try to get a custom made album cover with my own cool images or theme.

What do you all think about this now? Is $100.00 bucks too low ball? The seller is hesitant because like they said, it's a collectors item and they don't want to see it go up for sale and make money off of them.

Hmm...

If you're going to do this (catch your whale), you should do it right. Don't settle for the FUBAR record in a plain white inner sleeve. Either go for it all the way or sit back and wait. If you can sell three records and pay for what you want, that seems like a real good move to me.

if he's all about making sure no one flips it for profits, tell him you'll pay what he paid for one and you'll sign an agreement to never sell it for over cost. :D

i'll say this- i paid a much lower price than 'market' value for a mispress (labels on wrong sides) of a high cost record that also came in a generic sleeve simply because i wanted the music. i didn't care much about the complete package in this instance- i just wanted to be able to spin it, and i don't regret my decision. and i'm definitely far less inclined to seek out a 'complete' copy now.

If you're going to do this (catch your whale), you should do it right. Don't settle for the FUBAR record in a plain white inner sleeve. Either go for it all the way or sit back and wait. If you can sell three records and pay for what you want, that seems like a real good move to me.
OK, well I took a chance and spoke with a Discogs seller about possibly buying the record at a lower cost and we agreed on a price that works for us both! I figured since their listing has been posted for so long that they might be willing to sell it for cheaper than what they are asking for and that seemed to work!

So this morning I posted three of my rarest records and sold two of them within 30 minutes to one collector. I now have the funds to buy my white whale.

I only have one more whale item (Massive Attack singles box set), but that one is way more common than the Burial record.

Thanks for the advice! I'm complete now and have hit a milestone for myself. This is going to be a wall mounted record!

Personally, I would go with whatever makes me the happiest. I don't often sell my records, but if it just sits on my shelf for ages without being played and doesn't have any other sentimental value to me, I would rather get rid of it so I can get something else.

It sounds like you don't really care about these valuable metal records and really care about the Burial record, so from that perspective I think that's clearly the move. Assuming there's nothing else you want/need the money for more right now, I don't see anything wrong with going for it. I get that it's a lot of money, but at the end of the day I would just go with what feels right to you.
I took your advice and I'm now in the process of getting my Whale! THARRR SHE BLOWS!!!

OK, well I took a chance and spoke with a Discogs seller about possibly buying the record at a lower cost and we agreed on a price that works for us both! I figured since their listing has been posted for so long that they might be willing to sell it for cheaper than what they are asking for and that seemed to work!

So this morning I posted three of my rarest records and sold two of them within 30 minutes to one collector. I now have the funds to buy my white whale.

I only have one more whale item (Massive Attack singles box set), but that one is way more common than the Burial record.

Thanks for the advice! I'm complete now and have hit a milestone for myself. This is going to be a wall mounted record!

That's awesome! Glad it worked out for you :D :D

Back