My vinyl podcast to finish my Media degree.

djdavedk

After 30 years, I am finally going to work to complete my BA degree. I’m working on an independent study under the supervision of one of the department heads.

First draft proposal I sent off:

Title of the Independent Study Project: Podcast writing and production
My proposal for the Capstone Program for Fall Semester 2020 is an ongoing podcast covering the topics of music and music collectors, focusing on the history of the vinyl record and its role throughout the years. I would like to interview collectors, record store owners, DJs, and possibly some label owners to talk about their opinions and experiences with the resurgence of an old-time analog medium in the digital age. The final project will be a series of episodes that can be downloaded from the internet or streamed. I will create a roadmap with some preliminary ideas for each episode, and contact potential guests for their input and expertise.

Possible topics:

Origin of the shellac and vinyl record

Trends in popular music on records

Preservation of important musical genres

Sampling from records as creative art form

Album art and design as part of the overall experience

Manufacturing industry and process from start to finished product

Limited editions, colored vinyl, marketing and intentional scarcity

Record Store Day, history and evolution

Music enjoyment from the viewpoint of younger collectors compared to people who grew up with it

Stories of best, rarest, or most valuable finds

Trends in popularity and their causes, such as death of artist, film biopics, books, soundtracks, etc.

Nostalgia as a driving force in the need to own physical media

The role of radio throughout history, from drama to talk to music

College and non-commercial radio and its role in exposing listeners to new music

What was your first record received as a gift? What was the first you bought yourself?

You never know what interesting stories might come up during each episode as guests share their memories and secrets!

After 30 years, I am finally going to work to complete my BA degree. I’m working on an independent study under the supervision of one of the department heads.

My proposal for the Capstone Program for Fall Semester 2020 is an ongoing podcast covering the topics of music and music collectors, focusing on the history of the vinyl record and its role throughout the years. I would like to interview collectors, record store owners, DJs, and possibly some label owners to talk about their opinions and experiences with the resurgence of an old-time analog medium in the digital age. The final project will be a series of episodes that can be downloaded from the internet or streamed. I will create a roadmap with some preliminary ideas for each episode, and contact potential guests for their input and expertise.

Possible topics:

Music enjoyment from the viewpoint of younger collectors compared to people who grew up with it

Trends in popularity and their causes, such as death of artist, film biopics, books, soundtracks, etc.

College and non-commercial radio and its role in exposing listeners to new music

What was your first record received as a gift? What was the first you bought yourself?

You never know what interesting stories might come up during each episode as guests share their memories and secrets!
Very cool. Good luck!

I'd be surprised if you aren't familiar with Dust & Grooves, but just in case, there are some great interviews with record collectors. Might provide some inspiration.

No, thank you.
Well, great! I think you'll be impressed by what's there and, as I said, it should be inspirational. Not only great stuff about individual collectors, but also the music they collect and, in most cases, their lives in music. I guess it was reading some of the questions you've listed that made me think of it, since some of that territory is covered in many of the interviews. (Some awesome photos too! In fact, there's a beautiful coffee table book you also might want to check out: Dust and Grooves Book - Dust & Grooves - Adventures in Record Collecting. A book about vinyl records collectors)

Possible topics:

Oh man, this sounds FANTASTIC! Right up my street for sure!

You have kind of picked up on it through the 'Limited editions, colored vinyl, marketing and intentional scarcity', but another topic which could be interesting (or link to that topic) is the way in which other industries have adopted vinyl as a marketing feature. We now have Record Coffee Shops, Record Bars (Which takes from the Japanese Kissaten), Record Hotels. Its really crazy how many industries have jumped on the vinyl resurgence as an extra marketing ploy.

Seriously, I love what you have set up here, sounds like its going to be a really great project!

Highly recommend these Vinyl Factory podcasts for ideas. I think one of them was all about lacquers, and highlighted the problems that game to pass when that place in the States went up in flames...

Highly recommend these Vinyl Factory podcasts for ideas. I think one of them was all about lacquers, and highlighted the problems that game to pass when that place in the States went up in flames...

Im 2 episodes into this and its great, really enjoyable with some great points raised. Thanks for sharing buddy!

Code:
https://soundcloud.com/davedecay/in-the-groove-podcast-episode-1-fall-2020/s-r14hY2ZicHP

Be gentle... it's only 10 minutes and it's mostly facts at this point...

Last edited:
I have 4 episodes up.

5 and 6 will be a 2-parter. An interesting interview with a used record reseller here in central PA.

main page link

Last edited:
Episode 5 part 1 and 2 are up, 23 and 25 minutes in length.

I got this from my professor:

Thank you for sending me your episodes. I gave them a listen and think they are your best work. I really enjoyed your interviewing style. You have a subtle but firm ability to ask probing questions. I liked it when you were asking about the secrets of selling records. Randy was not giving up all of his secrets. Haha. Great job.

I think your podcast has legs. Meaning, if you keep working at making episodes and publicize your podcast, it could turn into a revenue generator for you. It's a unique enough topic, and records are HUGE right now, that it could turn into something big. Plus, it seems like you really enjoyed making the podcast. Think about it.

I'm going to enter your grade as an A.

🥰 🎤📻

I got this from my professor:

Thank you for sending me your episodes. I gave them a listen and think they are your best work. I really enjoyed your interviewing style. You have a subtle but firm ability to ask probing questions. I liked it when you were asking about the secrets of selling records. Randy was not giving up all of his secrets. Haha. Great job.

I think your podcast has legs. Meaning, if you keep working at making episodes and publicize your podcast, it could turn into a revenue generator for you. It's a unique enough topic, and records are HUGE right now, that it could turn into something big. Plus, it seems like you really enjoyed making the podcast. Think about it.

I'm going to enter your grade as an A.

🥰 🎤📻
Congrats!

Back