Move away from my Nagaoka, or venture out?

inalone

Hello all,

I recently got a new stylus for my Nagaoka MP110, and noticed that it was extremely difficult to find ANY that were not eBay listings from Japan (I live in the UK). I managed to snag one from a seller who had imported one but didn't use it, but despite being sealed the cantilever was bent. Despite playing some records without anti-skate to try and move it back across, and trying to coerce it manually with a guitar pick (I know, probably not advised but I didn't want my 50 quid to go down the drain) it remained bent. Today I have given up on this stylus, but don't especially feel like importing a stylus - especially when in a few years' time I am just going to have the same issue, if not likely worse.

So I'm sat here wondering - should I invest in a new cart for my Rega RP2? I do enjoy the MP110's sound and have no issues with it other than the aforementioned bent cantilever, but I wouldn't want to spend more than 150GBP on a new cartridge especially, but spending this much feels silly when I can just import a new stylus from japan for much less. Does anyone have any killer carts for around this price? Or should I just bite the bullet and import from Japan, with the possibility of yet again getting a bent cantilever stylus that I am unable to get a refund on.

Thanks in advance.

If you like a Moving Iron like the Nagaoka the Grado’s are a lovely cartridge too.

I really like the Opus 3 but it doesn’t have a removable stylus so it needs to be fully replaced every couple of years.

The gold 3 is also a really nice cartridge as well

And it has an in built upgrade if you use the 8mz stylus for your replacement when the time comes

One little bit of a warning though you do have to use one of these humbuckers on your rega to use a Grado because otherwise the unshielded Grado cartridge will hum because of where rega place their motor.

If you like a Moving Iron like the Nagaoka the Grado’s are a lovely cartridge too.

I really like the Opus 3 but it doesn’t have a removable stylus so it needs to be fully replaced every couple of years.

The gold 3 is also a really nice cartridge as well

And it has an in built upgrade if you use the 8mz stylus for your replacement when the time comes

One little bit of a warning though you do have to use one of these humbuckers on your rega to use a Grado because otherwise the unshielded Grado cartridge will hum because of where rega place their motor.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the quick reply! I'm not really looking to spend that much due to money reasons, I think unless it were super special I wouldn't really like to spend above 175GBP, especially if I have to import that humbucker also.

Thanks again :)

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the quick reply! I'm not really looking to spend that much due to money reasons, I think unless it were super special I wouldn't really like to spend above 175GBP, especially if I have to import that humbucker also.

Thanks again :)

You might want to look at the AT VM95 then. The ML, micro line stylus, would be where I’d go in that line! It’s £149.

Here’s a review of that whole line from one of our other forumers Ed

You might want to look at the AT VM95 then. The ML, micro line stylus, would be where I’d go in that line! It’s £149.

Here’s a review of that whole line from one of our other forumers Ed

Brilliant thank you! Will think about getting the VM95ML, then! Hopefully won't mess up the VTA on my RP2, im sure it'll be fine :)

Brilliant thank you! Will think about getting the VM95ML, then! Hopefully won't mess up the VTA on my RP2, im sure it'll be fine :)

I think that one is fine but you can get shims to fit to lift the tonearm for regas as well. Probably worth googling to find out.

I'd move away from Nagaoka with their current prices and availability.

I'll echo @BazookaTooth 's recommendation for the VM95ML. It's my current cart, and I have used the MP-110 before that and still have one with hours left on the stylus. I don't have a Rega so I'm not aware if you need spacers for the VM95ML, but the compliance should be a decent match for your medium mass tonearm, and not too fussy with most phono stages. With the 95ML, you're getting the most advanced stylus shape on the market (MicoLine/MicroRidge is later tech than Shibata) with a nice thin aluminum cantilever. What this translates to is far better inner groove tracking, detail retrieval and sibilance handling compared to the MP-110.

Subjectively the VM95ML runs circles around the Nagaoka MP-110 to my ears, more detail, more neutrality, tighter bass, more transparent sound that leaves me listening to the music not the cart. I've had mine for almost 3 years, which is by far the longest I've ever been happy with a cart. Yes, the stylus is going to be quite a bit more expensive to replace than the Nagaoka 110, but it will also wear at a slower rate, and should be far easier to get your hands on.

I purchased a Naga replacement stylus from a seller in Japan through Ebay. It was fine and at a very good price. I believe the seller would have resolved any issues as he was very responsive, but Ebay guaranteed the purchase regardless and would have refunded my money if it was faulty.

Back