Mono Table Setups

JohnnyCashFan

Anyone happen to be running a table rig in Mono ? Is is just a matter of say using a Grado mono cart on a older vintage rig ?

What are opinions about doing that way or using the mono setting on a preamp? Is a mono swicth jon a stereo pre ust ganging the stereo signal ?

What are opinions about doing that way or using the mono setting on a preamp. Is a mono swicth just ganging the stereo signal ?

That’s exactly what a mono switch does, it’s sums the stereo signal. I think most people that run a dedicated mono cart tend to have a tt with a removable headshell so it’s an easy straight swap when they play a mono record rather than running two turntables which is a significant extra cost and space consideration.

That’s exactly what a mono switch does, it’s sums the stereo signal. I think most people that run a dedicated mono cart tend to have a tt with a removable headshell so it’s an easy straight swap when they play a mono record rather than running two turntables which is a significant extra cost and space consideration.

So there is no need to do both mono cart and switch ?

Nope. It’s not going to do any harm but it’s not necessary either.
Good to know. I think I will keep my VPI for Stereo/Mono play then and dust off my Dual for 45/78/beater duty (was thinking about making it a mono rig).

It’s a bit more involved.

Some mono cartridges are really stereo cartridges with the channels strapped internally to produce mono. So- not a real mono cartridge. This would be A/T VM and Ortofon OM and 2m series, recent Shure and some others. Basically the same as a mono button. This isn’t true mono.

A mono record theoretically has signal only horizontally- left and right. Nothing vertically. And that’s exactly what you get with a mono record made from 1948-1967, at least in the US. In 1968, mono records were phased out. Mono records were made for a few more years in other countries. Real mono records cut with a mono lathe have zero vertical groove information. All that is there is groove damage and noise, which a true mono cartridge will ignore.

From 1968 onwards, mono records were cut with a stereo lathe. There is some signal in the vertical, but it’s not musically relevant- it’s around 25 dB down and you won’t hear it.

Did you ever see the notes on an older stereo record that says not to play it with a mono cartridge, but you can play a mono record with a stereo cartridge? Here’s why:

A mono cartridge designed to play pre 1968 mono records has zero compliance. The cantilever is totally stiff vertically and will only move side to side. It picks up zero signal vertically, so it’s quieter as far as surface noise. It will damage any stereo record, as well as modern mono records made with a stereo lathe.

There are true mono cartridges that are safe for any mono record regardless of age. These ignore any vertical information, so they are much more forgiving of surface noise and previous damage. But the cantilever is flexible, just like a stereo cartridge. Examples here would be Grado, Lyra, and the Ortofon Quintet mono.

You can still buy a new mono cartridge with zero compliance, just like a vjntage cartridge. These are usually pricey and the manufacturer will specify zero compliance. These are only to be used on 1948-1967 pressings, otherwise groove damage is certain.

A stereo cartridge can play any record whether mono or stereo because a stereo cartridge must by definition have vertical compliance. Hence the warning on vintage records. You’ll get more noise with a mono record than with a true mono cartridge because the stereo cartridge picks up the noise and groove damage vertically that a true mono cartridge doesn’t, but you won’t damage the record.

Also regarding @Joe Mac ’s comment about removable head shells, if you have a stereo and mono cartridge mounted in two identical head shells, you can swap without making any adjustments assuming the styli profiles are also identical.

For example:

Grado Prestige Stereo and ME+ Mono
Same weight, output voltage, elliptical stylus.

Ortofon Quintet Bronze and Quintet Mono
Same weight, resistance (important with moving coils) output voltage and styli profiles.

Once you’ve set both (overhang, tracking force, azimuth) and set the VTA (same cartridge bodies) you’ll be able to swap back and forth without altering any settings.

Anyone have experience with the Ortofon 2M “white” mono cartridge? I’m starting to get more mono LPs and wonder if it is worth purchasing a dedicated mono cartridge to get the best performance. I already have the 2M Blue and I can do the headshell swap.

Anyone have experience with the Ortofon 2M “white” mono cartridge? I’m starting to get more mono LPs and wonder if it is worth purchasing a dedicated mono cartridge to get the best performance. I already have the 2M Blue and I can do the headshell swap.
The 2m Mono isn’t a true mono cartridge. It’s strapped stereo- the same as pressing the stereo button on your amp.

Back