MoFi Precision Deck Fender Turntable - Beautiful Junk!

The_Chemist

I recently bought a MoFi Fender Turntable. I received it July 5, 2023.

The first thing I did after unboxing the turntable was to check the speed accuracy with a phone app called Turntable Speed RPM WOW.

The speed runs fast at 33.42 RPM. Worst of all, the wow is 0.32% RMS. MoFi claims 0.017 - 0.025% RPM. The speed varies from 33.29 RPM to 33.52 RPM. This reminds me of a 1970's BSR record changer! 😄

Okay, I know, you're thinking a phone gyroscopes is not accurate to measure speed and wow, BUT, all my other turntables actually meet the manufacturer specifications using the app. My quartz lock turntables read 33.33 RPM. My Pioneer PL-570, Thorens TD-520 and Technics SL-1300 MK2 all have exactly 33.33 RPM and wow under 0.03% RMS using the app. I do have an oscilloscope, but I do not have a record with a 3150 Hz test tone. I'm fully satisfied with the app's results as proved out by my other turntables.

I found that the platter bearing was void of lubricant. I lubricated the bearing and got the wow down to 0.21% RMS.

I contacted MoFi electronics and the portal sent my email to distribution. There is no phone number or contact email in the user manual. The distribution manager forwarded my email to the east coast where electronics is located and I got no reply whatsoever from the appropriate people at MoFi electronics. Pretty pathetic. I sent two emails no reply to either other than the distribution manager forwarding to the east coast.

Next I checked audio output and found that the audio output cables have a ground discontinuity. If they are disturbed at all, you get the loud 60 Hz hum like a guitar amplifier. Plus they are very poorly shielded and pick up stray electronic noise.

I purchased the turntable from Audio Advice. They sent me a set of Audioquest Evergreen output cables which worked well.

Still persuing the wow issue, I found that the factory supplied belt had a flat spot on it where it was joined together. Every time the flat spot would pass over the motor pulley, it would cause speed deviation.

Luckily I bought two spare belts from Audio Advice. I tried one and the wow dropped down to 0.04 % RMS to 0.06% RMS. I could live with that (Still not anywhere near factory spec though). Speed still varies and runs fast at 33.41 RPM

I started to audition the turntable after I thought I had all the major problems fixed. Now I found out that the cueing has two problems. For one, it sticks upon descent. Secondly, it abruptly jumps back towards the outer edge of the record on occasion while lowering, thus playing part of the previous band of the record ahead of the band intended to be played. This usually happens about 2/3 into the record. I thought the second issue may have been due to the antiskating weight, so I removed it, but the problem persists. 2 gram tracking weight verified with a digital stylus pressure gauge.

Audio Advice has been absolutely phenomenal throughout my contact with them. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat. MoFi on the other hand has the worst customer service I have ever encountered in my 63 years of life. Well, 50 years or so buying electronics. It's kind of like buying a used car from a disreputable dealer who sticks you with a lemon. How does MoFi electronics expect to support customer needs with this abysmal service?

Audio Advice is taking the turntable back. I've had it with fixing myself, what should have been perfect out of the box. These units are havd built. Absolutely no excuses. Do they even quality test?

Anyway, Audio Advice is going to order me a Technics SL-1200G-S. I have had it with MoFi electronics!

Yes, the Fender edition is "Beautiful Junk"

• Sad
Reactions: OMC
I recently bought a MoFi Fender Turntable. I received it July 5, 2023.

The first thing I did after unboxing the turntable was to check the speed accuracy with a phone app called Turntable Speed RPM WOW.

The speed runs fast at 33.42 RPM. Worst of all, the wow is 0.32% RMS. MoFi claims 0.017 - 0.025% RPM. The speed varies from 33.29 RPM to 33.52 RPM. This reminds me of a 1970's BSR record changer! 😄

Okay, I know, you're thinking a phone gyroscopes is not accurate to measure speed and wow, BUT, all my other turntables actually meet the manufacturer specifications using the app. My quartz lock turntables read 33.33 RPM. My Pioneer PL-570, Thorens TD-520 and Technics SL-1300 MK2 all have exactly 33.33 RPM and wow under 0.03% RMS using the app. I do have an oscilloscope, but I do not have a record with a 3150 Hz test tone. I'm fully satisfied with the app's results as proved out by my other turntables.

I found that the platter bearing was void of lubricant. I lubricated the bearing and got the wow down to 0.21% RMS.

I contacted MoFi electronics and the portal sent my email to distribution. There is no phone number or contact email in the user manual. The distribution manager forwarded my email to the east coast where electronics is located and I got no reply whatsoever from the appropriate people at MoFi electronics. Pretty pathetic. I sent two emails no reply to either other than the distribution manager forwarding to the east coast.

Next I checked audio output and found that the audio output cables have a ground discontinuity. If they are disturbed at all, you get the loud 60 Hz hum like a guitar amplifier. Plus they are very poorly shielded and pick up stray electronic noise.

I purchased the turntable from Audio Advice. They sent me a set of Audioquest Evergreen output cables which worked well.

Still persuing the wow issue, I found that the factory supplied belt had a flat spot on it where it was joined together. Every time the flat spot would pass over the motor pulley, it would cause speed deviation.

Luckily I bought two spare belts from Audio Advice. I tried one and the wow dropped down to 0.04 % RMS to 0.06% RMS. I could live with that (Still not anywhere near factory spec though). Speed still varies and runs fast at 33.41 RPM

I started to audition the turntable after I thought I had all the major problems fixed. Now I found out that the cueing has two problems. For one, it sticks upon descent. Secondly, it abruptly jumps back towards the outer edge of the record on occasion while lowering, thus playing part of the previous band of the record ahead of the band intended to be played. This usually happens about 2/3 into the record. I thought the second issue may have been due to the antiskating weight, so I removed it, but the problem persists. 2 gram tracking weight verified with a digital stylus pressure gauge.

Audio Advice has been absolutely phenomenal throughout my contact with them. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat. MoFi on the other hand has the worst customer service I have ever encountered in my 63 years of life. Well, 50 years or so buying electronics. It's kind of like buying a used car from a disreputable dealer who sticks you with a lemon. How does MoFi electronics expect to support customer needs with this abysmal service?

Audio Advice is taking the turntable back. I've had it with fixing myself, what should have been perfect out of the box. These units are havd built. Absolutely no excuses. Do they even quality test?

Anyway, Audio Advice is going to order me a Technics SL-1200G-S. I have had it with MoFi electronics!

Yes, the Fender edition is "Beautiful Junk"
I had no such issues with my Ultradeck, but you are going to love the Technics.

I get similar measurements on my Ultradeck (33.43rpm and 0.21% w/f) in RPM Pro but I’ll be damned if I’ve ever heard anything wrong with it.

(For the record, the reported measurements on your Garrard, Technics and Pioneer would be the among best ever submitted for those makes according to RPM Pro’s World TT Database.)

Back