Looking to upgrade my turntable.

Sparks_03

I have a U-Turn Orbit turntable that I have had around 4 years. I am looking to get something else, and was wanting recommendations. I really like the ProJect Beatles Turntables, and was wondering about those. I also like the look of the Audio Technica AT-LP1240. What would be my best bet?

Audio Technica AT-LP1240
As much as I'm a Beatles fan, I'd pass on the Beatles table, you're paying for the IP more than anything else.

That said, if you like the Audio Technica AT-LP1240 style table, I'd push you to the Pioneer PLX-1000 ($700) over the Audio Technica, if your open to a belt drive a Fluance RT85 ($500) or Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO ($600) are well regarded decks at you price point. Keep in mind the PLX does not come with a cartridge, but the Fluance and Pro-Ject do.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure you'll get a few more recommendations :)

As much as I'm a Beatles fan, I'd pass on the Beatles table, you're paying for the IP more than anything else.

That said, if you like the Audio Technica AT-LP1240 style table, I'd push you to the Pioneer PLX-1000 ($700) over the Audio Technica, if your open to a belt drive a Fluance RT85 ($500) or Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO ($600) are well regarded decks at you price point. Keep in mind the PLX does not come with a cartridge, but the Fluance and Pro-Ject do.

I appreciate the advice. I’ve heard from a few people that the Fluance isn’t much of an upgrade other than the Ortofon Blue over my Red. Is there much difference other than that?

I appreciate the advice. I’ve heard from a few people that the Fluance isn’t much of an upgrade other than the Ortofon Blue over my Red. Is there much difference other than that?
Well, I'd say depending on the type of Orbit there may a smaller or larger difference, but the Fluance is a much better overall turntable than even the "all option" U-Turn, in my opinion. And the Blue is much better than the Red, that's just an added bonus.

The Fluance has a better build, tonearm assembly and belt drive.

I’m not sure how it’s priced in the US, but it will be around the top end of the budget, but of the project debut line the newish carbon pro has been getting rave reviews over here. Also has quite a lot of stretch with upgrades like the improved bearing and sub platter like I have and adjustable VTA allowing you to play with more exotic platter mats like the Funk Firm Achromat 5mm. Rumour is that one with a removable headshell is to be released pretty imminently too.

I have a U-Turn Orbit turntable that I have had around 4 years. I am looking to get something else, and was wanting recommendations. I really like the ProJect Beatles Turntables, and was wondering about those. I also like the look of the Audio Technica AT-LP1240. What would be my best bet?
Honestly, I would pick the cart and then narrow down the TT choices that match it well.

I think the Beatles table would be a great upgrade and I definitely considered it when looking to upgrade from my debut iii some years back! I would swap the cartridge thojgh. 👍 (I'm referencing the white album TT)

Well, I'd say depending on the type of Orbit there may a smaller or larger difference, but the Fluance is a much better overall turntable than even the "all option" U-Turn, in my opinion. And the Blue is much better than the Red, that's just an added bonus.

The Fluance has a better build, tonearm assembly and belt drive.

And auto stop which is my favorite part

+1 on the Pioneer PLX-1000.

I've had one for a few years now in my office system and I've enjoyed it. Rock-solid speed control, adjustable VTA, good isolation, and a removable headshell. Very hard to beat at US $700 new; probably have to go to the Technics GR to do so. It's staying in place until I get the nerve to upgrade the VPI in my main system. I've mostly used my PLX with an Ortofon 2M Blue, which is a good match.

Last edited:
I had a uTurn before I upgraded to a Technics SL-1200GR. To be honest, my research was that you'd be hard pressed to get a worthwhile upgrade in that budget range versus spending the money on a new cart/phono stage. While the Fluance is a better all around table, I was unconvinced it was a big enough leap to justify the outlay. I considered the PLX, but with a cart you'll be pushing a grand.

What I did was upgrade my cart to a Grado Gold 3 for $260 and saved the rest for eventual upgrades. In hindsight, it was a great move as I learned what the table really could and couldn't do and the time allowed me to put together a system I really wanted versus chasing the next step up. Just my two cents.

A stepwise upgrade might be worth considering. You can upgrade the Ortofon 2M Red to the Blue for just the cost of the replacement stylus alone. I think @Selaws found this to be a significant upgrade by itself.

If you want to still move up on the turntable after that, you can do so with the 2M Blue in tow. I’ve found the 2M Blue to be a surprisingly good performer even on more expensive turntables.

When you upgrade both the turntable and cartridge at once, it can be harder to determine the relative contribution of each.

Back