The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

I agree with the opinions that found this to be a bit too long, and like others there was a lot I liked with my brain, but it largely didn’t connect with me emotionally or soulfully. They are obviously excellent technical musicians and have creative ideas, but need someone to be the one to table some of those ideas. This was enough for me to take notice of them if they release something else, but it didn’t fully connect.

I’ve given this one 3 spins but no one session got me through the whole thing as it is a bit long.This kind of jazzy is not really my thing to begin with. It strikes me as the type of music I am supposed to like if I am going to consider myself a serious connoisseur of music.

I like some things kind of like this but more things closer to this I’m just not into. It reminds me somewhat of The Brand New Heavies which I am not really into or maybe Jamiroquai which, again, not into. Someone mentioned Morcheeba which I am into and I am not hearing much overlap.

I don’t want to nor do I think I can be very critical of this album. Clearly there is a ton of talent. I did often wish the singer would just back off and the groove be. I realized her voice is like a horn, like she often just vocalizes without actual words like she is playing a trumpet. I don’t care for very forward trumpets in my music so there is that.

I appreciate the recommendation and there are plenty of people I know who will really dig this and maybe I can get some faux cred for introducing someone else to it since I am clearly a music poseur for not really clicking with this, lol.

Also I wanna shout out @Splunders cuz I appreciate how vulnerable it can make you feel to share something you really like.
It's all good. It is weird to throw something out there for active criticism. The reactions have been in line with what I guessed, because they're really similar to what I experienced. It IS too long, it CAN be difficult to latch onto, it isn't for everyone, but that's the cool thing about this thread. If you turn just a few people onto something they really like, and wouldn't have found it otherwise - awesome. You don't like it? That's cool too. This forum to me, if anything, is about being open minded and accepting of dissenting opinions.

Last edited:
It's all good. It is weird to throw something out there for active criticism. The reactions have been in line with what I guessed, because they're really similar to what I experienced. It IS too long, it CAN be difficult to latch onto, it isn't for everyone, but that's the cool thing about this thread. If you turn just a few people onto something they really like, and wouldn't have found it otherwise - fucking awesome. You don't like it? That's cool too. This forum to me, if anything, is about being open minded and accepting of dissenting opinions.
im a fan. It is long but I’ve listened to this at work a few times this week and it was excellent background music. Thanks for the pick. Boarderline with my atoms is one of my favorites .

It's all good. It is weird to throw something out there for active criticism. The reactions have been in line with what I guessed, because they're really similar to what I experienced. It IS too long, it CAN be difficult to latch onto, it isn't for everyone, but that's the cool thing about this thread. If you turn just a few people onto something they really like, and wouldn't have found it otherwise - awesome. You don't like it? That's cool too. This forum to me, if anything, is about being open minded and accepting of dissenting opinions.

And that's something that we, as human race, we need ASAP. Of course we're not going to like everything, and that's great. And we should (must) have the right to say it. Because in the process, perhaps we'll learn new things and GODDAMN WHY DOES THIS THREAD TURN ME INTO DEEPAK CHOPRA?????

I've enjoyed Hiatus Kaiyote this week. There's a familiarity to the album for me as it was featured quite a bit on radio here. I haven't quite connected with it though, I feel a sense of passive appreciation versus really getting in to it. I think that's largely my own distractions and reliance on music that I really love at the moment. Will revisit this one for sure.

I've enjoyed Hiatus Kaiyote this week. There's a familiarity to the album for me as it was featured quite a bit on radio here. I haven't quite connected with it though, I feel a sense of passive appreciation versus really getting in to it. I think that's largely my own distractions and reliance on music that I really love at the moment. Will revisit this one for sure.

Feel pretty much the same at this point. I bet seeing them live would be a great way to connect with it more.

I have been bumping this Hiatus Kaiyote and will be buying it ASAP.
I have also been recommending it to anyone who will listen to me.
[True story: I mentioned it to the nurse at the school I work in last week. A few hours later, I passed by and her and two kids were dancing to it.]

What's up everybody? Well this week you get subjected to my musical taste. A younger version of me would have strapped you down to a chair and cranked the most experimental and challenging music I could find. I was insufferable. Lucky for you guys I have wizened with age. What would be the point of after three minutes people would turn it off. This week's pick will be a stretch for some, but it will be politely so. It's quietness and intimacy will make the more experimental parts more palatable. It even features a familiar artist to most that have been VMP subscribers.

It will be Tag Eins Tag Zwei by the duo Nils Frahm & F. S. Blumm. Most people know who Nils is, but maybe less around here know who F. S. Blumm. He's a composer guitarist that from Germany, I believe. His music is a blend of contemporary classical, folk, and jazz. His music is kind of like Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

This is the third in a series of collaborations. The first two were albums that are completely digitally edited, but on this album they choose to use the guiding principals of those albums in a live setting. All these pieces are completely improvised duos, with the exception of My Funny Valentine. What makes this album so interesting is that it is so quietly experimental. The melodies are often small fragments, notes get stretched out beyond what they typically are, and form is often given a back seat to spontaneity. They play with sounds that put you in a place kind of like a movie. You hear maybe fabric rubbing together or items dropping into a container. These little sounds we ignore everyday become musical.

Well, I hope people can enjoy the album.

DT Knuckles

Last edited:
I love Nils Frahm so i am very excited to be listening to this album for the first time!

This is an album to listen to while unwinding, it is subtle and peaceful. F.S. and Nils create a very chill atmosphere and rarely stray away from it. Hints of electronic effects, soothing guitar riffs, celesta, piano and various toys and spoons can be heard throughout the album. I feel like I am in an empty room, and these two are playing a personal show in front of me, each strum, each hit of the key seems deliberate and purposeful exhibiting different emotions throughout each song, ultimately creating a very visceral experience. It seems like a very personal album, they were dealing with something raw and their emotions are on full display throughout this album. I can certainly feel the connection between Nils and F.S. as they compliment each other quite nicely, each understanding what the other is feeling as they build upon one another.

My favorite songs in order from favorite to least:
Day One Two,
Valentine My Funny,
Is love what you don't know,
Day One Three,
Day One Four,
Day Two Three,
Day Two Two,
Day One One,
Day Two One

Certainly has a very ambient vibe to it, so it certainly may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Overall Score: 8.4

I love Nils Frahm so i am very excited to be listening to this album for the first time!

This is an album to listen to while unwinding, it is subtle and peaceful. F.S. and Nils create a very chill atmosphere and rarely stray away from it. Hints of electronic effects, soothing guitar riffs, celesta, piano and various toys and spoons can be heard throughout the album. I feel like I am in an empty room, and these two are playing a personal show in front of me, each strum, each hit of the key seems deliberate and purposeful exhibiting different emotions throughout each song, ultimately creating a very visceral experience. It seems like a very personal album, they were dealing with something raw and their emotions are on full display throughout this album. I can certainly feel the connection between Nils and F.S. as they compliment each other quite nicely, each understanding what the other is feeling as they build upon one another.

My favorite songs in order from favorite to least:
Day One Two,
Valentine My Funny,
Is love what you don't know,
Day One Three,
Day One Four,
Day Two Three,
Day Two Two,
Day One One,
Day Two One

Certainly has a very ambient vibe to it, so it certainly may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Overall Score: 8.4

Yea that is pretty much how I reacted when I first heard the album.

Jumping in late for the HK album. I finally got it off my wall and spun it this afternoon. I'd forgotten just how good that album is. It's just pure vibes! For me, it's probably the pinnacle of the whole neo-soul movement, the melodies and the music are so complex without losing that awesome groove. Seriously, so good! Thanks for reminding me to listen to it again. I love this thread!

Back