Jumping into Jazz: Introductory records for beginners

Glad this thread is back, the one in the old place was really helpful. My first pickup was Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil and the other week I grabbed Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers and Sidney Bechet - Jazz Classics Vol. 2. I really like the Wayne Shorter and Art Blakey albums, the Sidney Bechet album isn't quite my thing, the style isn't for me. I've just been going to my locals and browsing for stuff I've seen recommended, not really ordering specific albums. They just posted an update that they received a big order of Bluenote's Tone Poet and 80s series so I'm going to take a walk over after work and check it out.

Edit: picked up Dexter Gordon - Doin' Allright and Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off

Last edited:
My introductory into jazz came from digging into my Fathers Collection. Lee Morgan’s Sidewinder was the main one I’d be drawn to. Then as I got into Hip Hop, that’s when I became a student of Jazz. I remember there was this group called The Future Sound that sampled Pharoah Sanders “Creator has a Masterplan” and for years and years I looked for that album. Then one day I was looking through my records and found a copy I didn’t even remember buying. The other place I got a lesson in Jazz was From was this Mixtape I bought from a DJ named Kenny Dope. This Tape was absolutely amazing as he had nothing but Rare Groove on it and that’s when I went all in on Jazz.
Now we have Forums where we can talk about artist and Spotify to get an idea of what we like before diving head in on an Album so any beginner Jazz fans can start there. Also if you have Goodwill near you, take the dive on a Jazz Record especially at 99 cents I mean what can it hurt? You might find an artist or album you enjoy despite any monetary worth. Recently I found a New Orleans artist I never heard of playing Dixieland and man I love it. Listening to it transports me back to the French Quarter. Paid like 1.49 for the record and it’s probably worth 10 bucks at most but the feeling it gives is priceless.

Keith Jarret’s Koln Concert. It’s a similarly free-flowing piano work that couldn’t possibly disappoint. You really don’t have to be into jazz to appreciate this one.

Back