John Coltrane Birthday Thread

NoTrend

John Coltrane's birthday is Sept 23rd, in honor I figure why not a thread?

Let's discuss all and everything John Coltrane

I'd like to start with my favorite live recording of Coltrane's,, which is also the final known recording (I still wish someone would surprise us with that Baltimore recording)

Love this, I was just sorting out some records to post on my instagram on the 23rd. So many fantastic ones. Im lucky enough to have first pressings of quite a few of his albums, but I will share a vinyl oddity here to kick off my contribution.

This album is 'John Coltrane ‎– Chambers' Music' from 1960 on the Swedish Sonet label. In reality, it's actually a repackaged Paul Chambers album 'Chambers' Music: A Jazz Delegation From The East'. Sonet obviously believed Coltrane to be the bigger star and I can only assume this rebrand was done to push more sales. Of course, Coltrane plays a fundamental part in the recording so I guess he deserves some of the credit :ROFLMAO:

IMG_4267.JPG

Rhino just sent me the giant steps 60th vinyl, has anyone heard it?

Rhino just sent me the giant steps 60th vinyl, has anyone heard it?

Not yet, seems to be allot of outtakes which I usually do not care for. But interested to get feedback about the remastering.

Not yet, seems to be allot of outtakes which I usually do not care for. But interested to get feedback about the remastering.
The fact there is not much more that can be done with this masterpiece. A new mastering of worn tapes can only consist of some knob tweaking to make it sound a bit different, but fundamentally it is as basic a two track recording as they come.
I have the Rhino Grundman 45 stereo and that, along with the recent mono, is it.

The alternates significantly take away from the record for me. They diminish it.

Just sorting out an instagram post and decided (regrettably - nightmare to put back) to pull out some of my JC records and books...

IMG_2618.JPG
IMG_2620.JPG

Back