Incense appreciation thread

pijo

Ok, I know there's a cliched "faux hippy" image around incense these days but I'm interested in looking beyond that if anyone's up for it. I find a good incense can be immediately calming and can transport me to a different time and place in the right setting.

I feel like incense and music are intertwined in my life. I remember getting my first hit of Nag Champa at a gig in the 90s. It's funny I can't remember the band but I remember the experience, there was a stick of incense poked in the mesh of a guitar amp by crew as they prepared the stage for the band. I loved the scent in that space, there was something so exotic about it, I was still new to going to gigs and the excitement of it all was mixed in with that scent, the way the incense danced with the smell of beer and sweat in the room. And yes I realise as far as "first hits" and "new experiences" at gigs go this is pretty tame but I lived a sheltered life!

I started slowly exploring the (initially overwhelming) world of incense from that day on. I'm fascinated by the differing styles - the dense, sweet, heady scent of an Indian incense compared to the earthy, campfire smoke of an American or the light, delicate, subtlety of a Japanese variety.

I've since come to approach my search for the perfect (for me) incense in a similar way to my search for the perfect music. Both are searches I never expect, or want, to end but the sense that there is something out there - just out of reach - that is closer to my own personal perfection than anything I've yet experienced is something both those searches have in common, as well as the sense of endless discovery along the way.

I recently discovered the adventurous Japanese incense brand Kuumba after Nabihah Iqbal included a sample pack of a custom scent with preorders of her debut album. She referenced this brand as an influence on her music during the writing and recording process. I have dived down the Kuumba rabbit hole much in the way I dive in to a newly discovered artist or record label.

I wonder if there are others here who share this passion, and if we can help each other out along the way. I'd love to know about favourite incense brands or varieties, local specialities, traditional uses, reviews, personal experiences or anything else really!

My Fav is patchouli and sandalwood................either of these I love to burn for hours.

I love the idea of incense--it speaks to the hippie influence in my childhood and my mildly pagan soul--but I have never met an incense that my eyes, nose, and throat could handle. It's cool that there's so much to learn about it.

I love the idea of incense--it speaks to the hippie influence in my childhood and my mildly pagan soul--but I have never met an incense that my eyes, nose, and throat could handle. It's cool that there's so much to learn about it.
I hear you, and how often is the idea better than the reality?! I think it's easy to be put off by some of the cheaper, overpowering stuff out there, and some spaces just aren't suited to being filled with smoke of any kind. I like the sound of your mildly pagan soul though.
My Fav is patchouli and sandalwood................either of these I love to burn for hours.
Ahh yes, those are two of my favourite scents and are at the heart of so many wonderful blends. There's an Australian sandalwood plantation who produce two incense sticks - one made from fresh wood and one from deadwood collected on the plantation. I love the subtle differences between the two, purely emerging from the difference in the nature of the wood.

I have a handful of incense burners in my home, often with at least one going. It helps to keep the nerves calmed and remain centered.

Lately, I've been burning a lot of sage incense sticks as well as extra thick mexican copal resin. I use some of those little japanese incense sticks that are low smoke emitting and use them in a lotus burner in my bedroom. It was a gift from my reddit secret Santa years ago.

I have found that my mild anxiety can be relieved by spinning something along the lines of "The Legend of Zelda" or "Bury Me at Makeout Creek" and burning some lavender or sage incense and its 💯

Nag Champa or bust!
I also like to burn Palo Santo. It's a fragrant wood, kind of like cedar, and I think it's a very relaxing smell. It's also used like sage (which I also burn occasionally) in some places to help remove bad energy from your home. It might not be for everyone, though, because it's literally a piece of smouldering wood and it can get smokey.

I have found that my mild anxiety can be relieved by spinning something along the lines of "The Legend of Zelda" or "Bury Me at Makeout Creek" and burning some lavender or sage incense and its 💯
Yes! I am 100% with you on this. There is something so immersive in combining music and incense. Something I used to do but haven't for a while is pick a record, quite late at night, light some incense, turn the lights out, lay back on the sofa and just absorb the music. It becomes a multisensory experience. I also use incense at work, I find it really helps in moments of heightened anxiety, I think in part it's the direct connection to somewhere else - a "happy place" as I associate it so strongly with relaxing and easing stress.

I also like to burn Palo Santo. It's a fragrant wood, kind of like cedar, and I think it's a very relaxing smell. It's also used like sage (which I also burn occasionally) in some places to help remove bad energy from your home. It might not be for everyone, though, because it's literally a piece of smouldering wood and it can get smokey.
I love the raw purity in using wood or resin like this. It's taken me a while to find the best way to use it but Palo Santo or sandalwood chips are so nice. I haven't used the larger pieces of Palo Santo which I think you're using, where you literally light an end and let it smoke? I should try. I have some smaller chips but it's a lovely scent. I have also used sage smudge sticks at work to help drive out negative energy. I really am revealing my inner hippy but it's all good.

... I'm also thinking there's a gap in the market for a vinyl subscription club with a matched, custom incense to compliment the music :unsure:

I love the raw purity in using wood or resin like this. It's taken me a while to find the best way to use it but Palo Santo or sandalwood chips are so nice. I haven't used the larger pieces of Palo Santo which I think you're using, where you literally light an end and let it smoke? I should try. I have some smaller chips but it's a lovely scent. I have also used sage smudge sticks at work to help drive out negative energy. I really am revealing my inner hippy but it's all good.
Yeah. I just use a chunk of the wood and light it with a brulee torch..a lighter works too, but takes a minute to catch. I usually just set it on any surface because it doesn't smolder that long, but to be safe it would probably be best to put it on some type of incense or smudge stick holder. Palo Santo is my favorite woodsy scent..I actually have a beard oil and aftershave with pure Palo Santo oil in it.
20190606_202543.jpg

I can’t mess with those incense that people sell on the street for a dollar a pack as it just offends my sense of smell to no end, but I do love Morning Star incense sandalwood scent. That’s the only ones I ever buy.

I can’t mess with those incense that people sell on the street for a dollar a pack as it just offends my sense of smell to no end, but I do love Morning Star incense sandalwood scent. That’s the only ones I ever buy.
Morning Star are an absolute classic range, and actually the first incense I ever bought myself. They are a perfect example of that Japanese style with a lighter fragrance and lower smoke than many others. Classic choice 👌

I prefer cones over sticks. Harder to find but my favorite seem to be clove cones from Wildberry brand

Back