Humming issue with preamp

folsom_lives

Recently upgraded from a Pho8 to Sutherland Insight and noticed a humming coming through the speakers the other night. Also noticed it became slightly louder when touching the tonearm when cueing a record. Don't hear a hum on any other inputs on amp so I am pretty sure it's coming from the analog signal path. I have a simple ground wire coming from the StudioDeck to the Sutherland but I'm curious what else I can troubleshoot.

For the record I did notice a similar faint hum/buzz with the same chain when I had the Pho8 in the system. Also the hum is present even when the turntable is off.

Recently upgraded from a Pho8 to Sutherland Insight and noticed a humming coming through the speakers the other night. Also noticed it became slightly louder when touching the tonearm when cueing a record. Don't hear a hum on any other inputs on amp so I am pretty sure it's coming from the analog signal path. I have a simple ground wire coming from the StudioDeck to the Sutherland but I'm curious what else I can troubleshoot.

For the record I did notice a similar faint hum/buzz with the same chain when I had the Pho8 in the system. Also the hum is present even when the turntable is off.
Try replacing your interconnects if you have a spare set. This happened on my UD and after trying everything with grounding it turned out to be a bad interconnect cable.

Ok. Tracked it down to likely the turntable or the Opus 3. Switched out for the Orbit and cycled between the built in Pluto pre amp and the Sutherland. The Orbit and Sutherland had a hum but it was far lower when I cranked the amp and had less buzz quality to it.

Aside from switching out carts, any other troubleshooting?

Ok. Tracked it down to likely the turntable or the Opus 3. Switched out for the Orbit and cycled between the built in Pluto pre amp and the Sutherland. The Orbit and Sutherland had a hum but it was far lower when I cranked the amp and had less buzz quality to it.

Aside from switching out carts, any other troubleshooting?
Ground loop hums can be kind of a nightmare to track down. How are the various devices plugged into the wall? Are they sharing a power strip?

Ground loop hums can be kind of a nightmare to track down. How are the various devices plugged into the wall? Are they sharing a power strip?
Turntable is in one receptacle and a power strip is holding the remaining setup (amp preamp DAC). Not ideal but I don't have the room for a power supply. Everything is on one circuit.

Hm. I've sometimes had these issues clear up by making sure they're all on the same strip. Maybe swap the DAC to the receptacle?
I'll give that a shot. It was one of the more recent additions and I was planning on getting it away from the main setup.

I'll add I pulled the Mofi with the Opus3 and switched back in the Orbit and Grado Gold and the hum reduced significantly.

Back