How Quiet Is Your Listening Room

OMC

Using the SPLnFFT Sound Level Meter v7.0 app at the quietest moments my room averages about 26.5dB with lowest readings of 25.9dB.
Whatayagot?

Our oldest moved back home. Happy to see him but RIP to my proper Listening Room.

Picture taken after 4.5 hours of moving everything into the basement, to construct an impromptu Mixed Media room.

Even with the walls bathed in different hues and some Floyd earworms, my bones need respite.

Still needs improvement, but will sound euphoric in due time.

Attachments

• PXL_20240226_004357043~3.jpg
    PXL_20240226_004357043~3.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 9
27db at the chair.

For reference.. take away what you will with the final number.

20x24x8 fully treated dedicated room separated from house, concrete slab, separate transformer , oversized air ducts, closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, 8" on center staggered stud room 20 amp dedicated lines, fully corning/ rockwool , GIK, Vicoustic, etc blah blah....

People say when they walk into the room for the first time that it's deceptive because their entire hearing kind of folds up and freaks them out till they get used to it. I don't know any other folks with treatment to degree but it can be maddening quiet. The apps are good for reference but every time accuracy and technique.... with numbers so close to mine that I am seeing I defiantly have to wonder, but either way for me the room is everything and people might be surprised how much some of that expensive gear has nothing to do with the final sound outcome. It makes an amazing room all around and I find solace in it when things get coo-coo.

Last edited:
Back