Heads Up: I'm Selling my Rogue!

kvetcha

Just in case folks don't typically check the Buy Sell Trade forum, I'm looking to tell my Rogue Sphinx v2. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just too much power for my setup. It's a great amp, and I recommend it to anyone who's looking for an integrated.

Just in case folks don't typically check the Buy Sell Trade forum, I'm looking to tell my Rogue Sphinx v2. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just too much power for my setup. It's a great amp, and I recommend it to anyone who's looking for an integrated.

What’s next to pair with those Fortes?

What’s next to pair with those Fortes?

Not sure, honestly. Some flavor of tube amp, but I'm wavering between something new like a Decware Zen (6w/ch) or trying to snag a deal on an upmarket used amp (such as a Primaluna Dialogue or a Line Magnetic 518ia). The Decwares are really tempting, but if you want more than 6 watts it gets you into used-LM territory.

To much power? whahhhhhhhhhh? You can never have enough power! lol:) J/K GL with your sale......Rogue Sphinx v2 is a great amp!

The Fortes are 99db efficient. :/

The Decware Zen is a sweet sounding amp.......I mean that literally. Steve Deckert builds amps that sound so rich in the midrange and with your speakers being 99db...................you will have power to spare for bass...................you cant go wrong with Decware....................they have a cult like following in some circles.

The Decware Zen is a sweet sounding amp.......I mean that literally. Steve Deckert builds amps that sound so rich in the midrange and with your speakers being 99db...................you will have power to spare for bass...................you cant go wrong with Decware....................they have a cult like following in some circles.

Thank you! Literally the only thing that concerned me was whether 6w would be enough - the Zen Integrated otherwise has everything I want - auto-biasing + subwoofer out.

I'm very intrigued.

Thank you! Literally the only thing that concerned me was whether 6w would be enough - the Zen Integrated otherwise has everything I want - auto-biasing + subwoofer out.

I'm very intrigued.

I'd definitely go Decware over Line Magnetic.

And I wouldn't rule out an amplifier because it isn't self biasing. Setting the bias is an easy process.

One more idea- I've seen Manley Labs sell B Stock Stingray Series I integrated amps on eBay for very reasonable money, all things considered.

I'm very intrigued.
With my plan to convert to tubes, I’ve been looking at Decware a lot lately as well. They could certainly make a lot of sense with high efficiency speakers. 6W should be plenty for you at 99dB. Read through the Decware forum (@Tanqueray is spot on with the cult-like following there!) and you’ll see tons of people driving less efficient speakers with 2W just fine.

And I wouldn't rule out an amplifier because it isn't self biasing. Setting the bias is an easy process.

One more idea- I've seen Manley Labs sell B Stock Stingray Series I integrated amps on eBay for very reasonable money, all things considered.

I love Manley Amps.........I considered the Neo Classic 500 Mono Bloc's many times https://www.manley.com/hifi/neo500

l4E171j.png

I've considered Manley, but the Stingray II, even used, is pretty steep. Cool, weird-lookin' amp, though, and I'd think about it if the right price came through.

With my plan to convert to tubes, I’ve been looking at Decware a lot lately as well. They could certainly make a lot of sense with high efficiency speakers. 6W should be plenty for you at 99dB. Read through the Decware forum (@Tanqueray is spot on with the cult-like following there!) and you’ll see tons of people driving less efficient speakers with 2W just fine.

Yeah, I tend to listen...enthusiastically. That said, I had a good time with the cheap little 3w TubeCube I played with for a couple days, so I imagine the extra 3dB of overhead should be sufficient for most scenarios.

If I'm willing to skip the subwoofer out, I may consider the Torii Jr. But that's quite a bit of coin.

You might want a bit more power than you think. Even with 99 dB sensitivity speakers, I'm thinking the 40 watts I'm getting with the 7581A tubes I'm running isn't overkill. Looks insane on paper, but extra power gives extra dynamics. Also I have the option of concert level listening should I want to do that.

Here's the B Stock Stingray-

B Stock Stingray

You might want a bit more power than you think. Even with 99 dB sensitivity speakers, I'm thinking the 40 watts I'm getting with the 7581A tubes I'm running isn't overkill. Looks insane on paper, but extra power gives extra dynamics. Also I have the option of Rconcert level listening should I want to do that.

Here's the B Stock Stingray-

B Stock Stingray

I've got a pretty modest space to fill, though. My Rogue never goes over 35% on the volume pot.

Of course, all of this is just daydreaming until I sell the Rogue.

I've got a pretty modest space to fill, though. My Rogue never goes over 35% on the volume pot.

Of course, all of this is just daydreaming until I sell the Rogue.
If you’re seriously considering Decware you should get your order in ASAP.

I ordered a Zen Triode in October 2022 and they are currently working on orders from January 2022 so best case I’ll see my amp by the end of this year or early 2025.

In the meantime I’m trying to determine what speakers I should get for the Decware. Forte IV are on the list, but I’m also thinking about Cornwall IVs. I have an 18’ x 18’ room and think I can fit the Cornwalls, but it might be overkill. I need to find a place where I can hear them both. They are too big to bring in house and ship back.

If you’re seriously considering Decware you should get your order in ASAP.

I ordered a Zen Triode in October 2022 and they are currently working on orders from January 2022 so best case I’ll see my amp by the end of this year or early 2025.

In the meantime I’m trying to determine what speakers I should get for the Decware. Forte IV are on the list, but I’m also thinking about Cornwall IVs. I have an 18’ x 18’ room and think I can fit the Cornwalls, but it might be overkill. I need to find a place where I can hear them both. They are too big to bring in house and ship back.
This was a few years back, I actually auditioned a Zen Torii Jr against my KingKo and ended up keeping the KingKo. The Decware was awesome but it was a little too esoteric for my SO and I would have needed an active preamplifier to feed it the 2V input it wanted. Ended up reselling the Dec for as much as I bought it for.

I was considering Cornwall IVs, but the Fortes have been so nice in this space that I figured Cornwalls would be overkill. I have listened to them and enjoyed them quite a bit, though.

This was a few years back, I actually auditioned a Zen Torii Jr against my KingKo and ended up keeping the KingKo. The Decware was awesome but it was a little too esoteric for my SO and I would have needed an active preamplifier to feed it the 2V input it wanted. Ended up reselling the Dec for as much as I bought it for.

I was considering Cornwall IVs, but the Fortes have been so nice in this space that I figured Cornwalls would be overkill. I have listened to them and enjoyed them quite a bit, though.
😂 I completely did not look at the date of the posts. Don’t even know how I got in this thread.

Back