HARMAN Luxury Audio introduces JBL Classic Series

Jbraswell

New direct drive TT with removable headshell and some other cool components.

Good looking turntable.. love the silver and wood combo.. and if I'm reading correctly its $1k, so could compete for the 1200gr/1500c buyers.. interesting.

Harman is really leaning into this strategy of killing off every other brands slowly and just dropping designs into a vintage package with a JBL logo.

The higher end TT looks sharp, but I have to wonder if both tables are just dressed up models made by other companies once again (maybe Audio Technica this time?). Harman isn't really known to make anything with motors themselves, so it would be interesting if they are actually producing the TTs in their own factories.

The amps and electronics look good. Given the "class G" amp section, I would assume this is all basically Arcam products being repackaged as JBL. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I would expect Arcam with a little more V shaped sound signature.

All in all, great looking pieces at reasonable prices. I just hope they have some type of character in the sound.

Harman is really leaning into this strategy of killing off every other brands slowly and just dropping designs into a vintage package with a JBL logo.

The higher end TT looks sharp, but I have to wonder if both tables are just dressed up models made by other companies once again (maybe Audio Technica this time?). Harman isn't really known to make anything with motors themselves, so it would be interesting if they are actually producing the TTs in their own factories.

The amps and electronics look good. Given the "class G" amp section, I would assume this is all basically Arcam products being repackaged as JBL. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I would expect Arcam with a little more V shaped sound signature.

All in all, great looking pieces at reasonable prices. I just hope they have some type of character in the sound.
I am not sure. I am not their customer for these since I am not shopping grear currently. I suppose they have a good supply base for the Levinson gear already and should get some lift from there.

I am not sure. I am not their customer for these since I am not shopping grear currently. I suppose they have a good supply base for the Levinson gear already and should get some lift from there.
Levinson is a weird exception in the Harman umbrella. They have put out some products that are truly deserving of the Levinson logo. But they’ve also put out TTS made by VPI and Clear Audio, and they’ve slapped their logo on some car audio gear for luxury vehicles. They’ve done headphone that are just over priced AKGs too. It’s an odd combo.

But it’ll be interesting to see how they leverage Arcam moving forward. Will it just become all JBL branded gear, or will Arcam become the home theater line?

AKG has been interesting too. They have made several attempts to make that brand more of a consumer name, even getting packaged with Samsung Galaxies. But headphones just seem to keep falling back on the JBL branding too.

It’s just interesting to me. All these brands used to have really unique sounds. But the longer they are with Harman, the more of their products get a pretty safe, plain jane flat sound. Some exceptions obviously, but overall that’s how I’ve felt about the majority of their stuff that I’ve heard.

The most exciting products to me from Harman are the lower cost ones. Ones you want to be simple and effective. BT speakers, headphones and earbuds. But I want hifi to move me. And most of their new products don’t. In my personal opinion obviously.

But the aesthetics have been excellent.

Levinson is a weird exception in the Harman umbrella. They have put out some products that are truly deserving of the Levinson logo. But they’ve also put out TTS made by VPI and Clear Audio, and they’ve slapped their logo on some car audio gear for luxury vehicles. They’ve done headphone that are just over priced AKGs too. It’s an odd combo.

But it’ll be interesting to see how they leverage Arcam moving forward. Will it just become all JBL branded gear, or will Arcam become the home theater line?

AKG has been interesting too. They have made several attempts to make that brand more of a consumer name, even getting packaged with Samsung Galaxies. But headphones just seem to keep falling back on the JBL branding too.

It’s just interesting to me. All these brands used to have really unique sounds. But the longer they are with Harman, the more of their products get a pretty safe, plain jane flat sound. Some exceptions obviously, but overall that’s how I’ve felt about the majority of their stuff that I’ve heard.

The most exciting products to me from Harman are the lower cost ones. Ones you want to be simple and effective. BT speakers, headphones and earbuds. But I want hifi to move me. And most of their new products don’t. In my personal opinion obviously.

But the aesthetics have been excellent.
JBL is a household name for sure, especially for speakers. So it sells when people see it.

But yeah I like to go with manufacturers who have heritage on an audio component. I don't want to be SOL for parts or repairs in a few years. Plus experience and design mean a lot for me.

This is a really competitive space to jump in.
Looks like they are trying to go head on with someone like Yamaha.

JBL is a household name for sure, especially for speakers. So it sells when people see it.

But yeah I like to go with manufacturers who have heritage on an audio component. I don't want to be SOL for parts or repairs in a few years. Plus experience and design mean a lot for me.

“The SA750 is inspired by the classic JBL SA600 amplifier from the ‘60’s”

The SA600 was a looker in its day. Harmon has tremendous resources for audio; no need for support to be a barrier.

The SA600 was a looker in its day. Harmon has tremendous resources for audio; no need for support to be a barrier.

Sure. They are a very competent Enterprise to design and supply the market. Citing a 60 yr production break doesn't really matter or yield any credibility.

I wonder who was the first guy in the board meeting that said, "Guys. it's completely asinine to have the inputs on the bottom of the amp."

You won’t be SOL for parts with any Harman parts. Especially as they continue to homogenize and use the same parts bins for 80%+ of their products 😂

no need for support to be a barrier.
Well… as long as your dealer can service it or facilitate a replacement. Good luck if you actually need Harman to service anything outside of a corporate professional account.

You won’t be SOL for parts with any Harman parts. Especially as they continue to homogenize and use the same parts bins for 80%+ of their products 😂

Well… as long as your dealer can service it or facilitate a replacement. Good luck if you actually need Harman to service anything outside of a corporate professional account.
The particular unit in the article I shared was serviced by Quirk Audio, who I have worked with before with fabulous results. There are still a few good technicians out there.

Back