Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

That damn Opus3, lol. While its not on my deck as often now a days, its never leaving my home. Like you it always found a way back on to the TT, lol. What I can share is this, I was kind of in the same circumstance and decided to reach out to Rich Grado and flat out ask him if the move up was worth it (Platinum3), would I gain some big sound jumps, also explaining that I really like how the Opus sounds. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but the nuts and bolts of his answer were that there would be an audible difference, but nothing that was going to blow your socks off, he also added, if you're happy with what the Opus is giving you, stick with it and enjoy the music.

So to that, I would say I agree with him. Unless you're looking to try something new, a different sound characteristic, then, I've always felt that you need to try another brand, or, move up more then one rung of the ladder of the current brand. I've tried a lot of carts and can tell you the vast majority sound great, it just boils down to personal preferences and budget.

I don't know if that helps or not, but thought it was worth sharing ;)
Yeah, it does help.

My Opus is a high output. Now that I have the Insight, I'll probably just switch to a low output Opus since I have a preamp that can handle it. Or maybe ponder the Platinum for a little while lol. LO Platinum 3, I mean since I gotta trade in that would ease the price :)

I have 3 MCs floating around, and a damn drawerful of MMs I can throw on the table. I should just take a few years using those up. But that Opus just sounds RIGHT in a way the other stuff doesn't. I've spent some time playing with head shells, and that makes a difference on my table. The SL-1500 really likes a light shell, the lighter the better. I even found a light shell where the Opus doesn't jut way out in front of it, it lines up real nice for the 52mm Technics setup.

I really do like what the Opus gives me, though. I might make a little post in a couple weeks if I change to Platinum. I was pondering a Sonata, but I see above where HiFi Guy reports that isn't a nude anymore. That's a bummer.

Decisions, decisions...

I was kind of in the same circumstance and decided to reach out to Rich Grado and flat out ask him if the move up was worth it (Platinum3), would I gain some big sound jumps, also explaining that I really like how the Opus sounds. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but the nuts and bolts of his answer were that there would be an audible difference, but nothing that was going to blow your socks off, he also added, if you're happy with what the Opus is giving you, stick with it and enjoy the music.
Honestly, really cool of Rich. That's a very honest answer.

Back