Go to the mattresses! Help.

EmeryRK

Hey guys.

No, I am not starting a war and I am not in an Italian mob family. It may be a silly series of questions but, you guys are friends that I have trusted with opinions and I hope you can help me.

I am looking into buying a new mattress. My partner and I are looking heavily into memory foam(but will consider other options) because I have had one before and it lasted for a long time. It didn’t move, it was comfortable and It was better than what I was given about 5 years ago.

A mattress is a very big purchase in my opinion and it’s been a week of reading reviews, brands and sizes. Currently have a Serta extended pillow top queen mattress with a metal base frame. The frame is very sturdy and less than a year old.

I want to give you some facts about us so it’ll be easier to guide and advise.

Weight: Me - 250lbs
Her - 215lbs

Sleep Positions: Me - Side and back
Her - Stomach and side

Budget: Up to $1,000(Maybe a little more)

Mattress height: Preferably 12” and up

Size Preference: Queen and might be looking into a king.

We have looked into Serta, Lull, Necter, Casper, Ashley, Purple, etc. Necter has good reviews for people who are “heavier” We don’t need anything fancy like an adjustable frame, albeit nice, but not a necessity.

So my big questions are: What do you currently have? Where did you get it? What are some warning signs? What do you look for in a mattress and what do you need to look for?

Thanks guys!

Hey guys.

No, I am not starting a war and I am not in an Italian mob family. It may be a silly series of questions but, you guys are friends that I have trusted with opinions and I hope you can help me.

I am looking into buying a new mattress. My partner and I are looking heavily into memory foam(but will consider other options) because I have had one before and it lasted for a long time. It didn’t move, it was comfortable and It was better than what I was given about 5 years ago.

A mattress is a very big purchase in my opinion and it’s been a week of reading reviews, brands and sizes. Currently have a Serta extended pillow top queen mattress with a metal base frame. The frame is very sturdy and less than a year old.

Her - 215lbs

Her - Stomach and side

We have looked into Serta, Lull, Necter, Casper, Ashley, Purple, etc. Necter has good reviews for people who are “heavier” We don’t need anything fancy like an adjustable frame, albeit nice, but not a necessity.

So my big questions are: What do you currently have? Where did you get it? What are some warning signs? What do you look for in a mattress and what do you need to look for?

Thanks guys!
This might be too pricey but you never know with your dollar down there. This is... by FAR the most incredible mattress I have ever slept on. It's split in the middle and each side can be flipped for a harder or softer sleep. So one side of the bed can be hard, the other soft. Depending on how you and your partner prefer it. It's non toxic vegan foam. Has the same toxicity rating as baby clothes. It's bonkers.

I’m a big fan of the Purple mattresses. We have one at home, I have one in my semi and we even bought my in-laws one to replace their 30yo mattress.

No matter how I end up falling asleep, I sleep comfortably. They do work better with a flat, solid base over a box spring. If you choose the Purple I highly recommend getting the base for it.

I have seen ads for a mattress by a company called purple on YouTube. It's hard to say if it's legit or informercial junk.

But there are several reviews online and they are mostly all positive. The review below has a good breakdown on the mattress.

It looks like it is a memory foam alternative that is cheaper / more affordable. Might be something worth looking into

Hey guys.

Her - 215lbs

Her - Stomach and side

Thanks guys!
Reviews are great And all, but go lie on them. It’s kind of like shoes. Everyone is a little different.

That being said We have a Serta pillow top (forget which model) and it has been amazing.

There aren’t many stores that stock the Purple, but they do have a pretty awesome trial period. Then if you don’t like it they have you donate it instead of trying to ship it back.

A bit off topic, but considering the post, I have to share this- a long read about mattress comparison websites, that reads like a true crime story.

That's wild but I must say not all that surprising. All these blogger sites and influencers are about a legitimate when it comes to journalistic integrity as the National Enquirer. When I went to buy mine, I checked out a whole whack of different mattress blogger sites and they all had their clear favorites which in most cases appeared to be due to whatever payments or freebies they were getting, there was little to no consistency which was kinda the biggest giveaway. So I took a few tidbits from each one in terms of pros and cons of some mattresses then I went and lay on about 50 different mattresses until I came across the Magniflex which was mentioned exactly zero times on any site I ever went to, and why was that? Because it's one of Europe's biggest mattress producers and they don't need to pay off north american bloggers to gain market foothold. And sure enough their mattress kicked the hell out of every single other one I tried both in terms of comfort and build quality but also it's vegan and almost entirely non toxic, which is a place where all of these memory foam mattresses tend to fail, most of them off gas like a mofo.

So yeah, just go try a bunch, find a couple you like and research the fuck outta them.

My husband and I have a Casper and I hate it. But I thinking I'm not a foam fan.

I knew eventually you'd say something that I don't agree with!

I have a Casper and I love it (side note: their pillows are also my favorite ever). A lot of people like Purple but that grid thing weirds me out for some reason so it wasn't an option for me.

I have a Casper and I love it (side note: their pillows are also my favorite ever). A lot of people like Purple but that grid thing weirds me out for some reason so it wasn't an option for me.
I just need a much softer mattress. I like them basically stuffed with the feathers of angels wings.

It’s inside the cover so you don’t have to see it and it makes it super comfy. Love my Purples.

Team Casper here. I used to be a spring mattress fella until I married a foam mattress gal, and now I really enjoy our Casper.

I have this mattress 12” Queen. Purchased it in 2016 and still going strong. Honestly significantly cheaper than any other mattress in a box brands, it was <$300 when I bought it. Comfy, supportive but soft, holds it’s shape well. Was using a full size IKEA mattress before and it was terrible. My girlfriend and I are about your size give/take so it might also work for you.

I like it so much I also bought a full size mattress in the same style for our guest room and several people who’ve slept on it really like it too. I highly recommend it.

Back