Classical music

The-NazZ

Modern classical music is something I have always been interested in, but I never knew where to look. I have Gorecki's Symphony No. 3, it might be one of the most beautiful thing I have ever listened to. I also have Max Richter's From Sleep and some Philip Glass, but I did not manage to find something that gets me like Gorecki did yet.

Does anybody have some recommandations ? I would really like to dig deeper into classical music like I did with jazz.

As a hip hop head I don’t know shit about classical music. But I do know I would take a bullet for Chopin’s Nocturnes. Any recommendations that are similar to the Nocturnes?

Modern classical music is something I have always been interested in, but I never knew where to look. I have Gorecki's Symphony No. 3, it might be one of the most beautiful thing I have ever listened to. I also have Max Richter's From Sleep and some Philip Glass, but I did not manage to find something that gets me like Gorecki did yet.

Does anybody have some recommandations ? I would really like to dig deeper into classical music like I did with jazz.

The Gorecki is very "emotional" and if I remember correctly, at the time of release, that fact caused the music critics to dismiss it. Dawn Upshaw (the singer) is a legend in her own right. I've tried seeking out her performances on vinyl but haven't found much.

There's an album by Conin Stetson called "Sorrow" from a few years ago which is a reimagining of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony that is very good.

Here's a song from composer Morten Lauridsen's "Les Chanson Des Roses" called "Dirait-On". This song has all the dips and swells...

Here are some other suggestions I have. Many of these I got from members here:

• Ola Gjeilo "Northern Lights' - Choral/Emotional. My favorite choral album. I could listen to it every day.
  • Julia Kent - Asperities (Cello)
  • Johannsson - Englaborn
  • Ralf Hildenbeutel - Wunderland, pretty sure I got this one from @Captainfog ..he might have more recs.
  • Craig Armstrong - Sun on You (UK composer, mostly know for soundtracks but has some albums too)
  • Alexis Ffrench - Evolution (UK Piano Composer)
  • Rachel Grimes - The Clearing (formerly of Rachel's...another good group to check out)

The Gorecki is very "emotional" and if I remember correctly, at the time of release, that fact caused the music critics to dismiss it. Dawn Upshaw (the singer) is a legend in her own right. I've tried seeking out her performances on vinyl but haven't found much.

There's an album by Conin Stetson called "Sorrow" from a few years ago which is a reimagining of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony that is very good.

Here's a song from composer Morten Lauridsen's "Les Chanson Des Roses" called "Dirait-On". This song has all the dips and swells...

Here are some other suggestions I have. Many of these I got from members here:

• Ola Gjeilo "Northern Lights' - Choral/Emotional. My favorite choral album. I could listen to it every day.
  • Julia Kent - Asperities (Cello)
  • Johannsson - Englaborn
  • Ralf Hildenbeutel - Wunderland, pretty sure I got this one from @Captainfog ..he might have more recs.
  • Craig Armstrong - Sun on You (UK composer, mostly know for soundtracks but has some albums too)
  • Alexis Ffrench - Evolution (UK Piano Composer)
  • Rachel Grimes - The Clearing (formerly of Rachel's...another good group to check out)

Thank you very much ! I will try to go through the recommandations this week.

I listened to the Colin Stetson album back when it released and it did not do much for me. Maybe I need to go back to it and try to appreciate it on its own without trying to compare it. I remember the electric guitars turning me off a bit and giving me GYBE! feelings. Which is not bad by any means, just not what I was looking for when listening to it back then.

Here are some works from recent years I’ve enjoyed:

In 27 Pieces: The Hilary Hahn Encores

Phillip Glass, Piano Concerto #3

Esa-Pekka Salonen, Cello Concerto

Kevin Puts, Symphony #2

Alrighty, I've been really digging some classical recently...

This one isn't new but damn, I just found it and it crushes:

This is new and is quite impressive and maybe better than his earlier version:

This may be in my top ten for the year:

This came out earlier this month and I am obsessed with it:

I am really looking forward to this new album, I really liked her early stuff but stopped following somewhere along the way. The single is quite impressive:

I am really looking forward to this new album, I really liked her early stuff but stopped following somewhere along the way. The single is quite impressive:

Have you checked this one out at all?

I agree, the new Max Richter is amazing. Thanks for these other recommendations.

I really am loving all this new classical music. It makes the ballerina in me immensely happy.

so, I just joined Qobuz and they have these Qobuzissimes where they give recognition to an up and coming talent... since I just started the service, I've been digging through their magazine and came upon an article about the first ten years of these awards and this was the album they chose to represent the first year 2011:

Pedro Soler and Gasper Claus - Barlande

It's flamenco guitar and cello and it's pretty awesome. Evidently, they are a father and son duo too.

Back