Clamp 'n' Mat?

UnbalancedForce

1) Why do you clamp before you spin?

2) Why does your mat mat-ter (sorry)?

The answers I've seen to these are very confusing. & I love dissecting audio, looking at graphs, & even the sometimes-substantive yet emotional "just-tell-me-what-you-hear". Most importantly, I can see your answers potentially solving problems *and saving us money*.

So, for me, I don't "clamp-n-mat" yet for my first TT (Audio Technica AT-LPW30TK). I do have both the default rubber mat & just bought one of these (Rubber/Cork Slip Mats) to try. I also found this, which looks like it would even help sibilance?! (UK only so would love a recommendation for US to try) Trans-Fi Audio

I don't know anything about clamps, so if you wouldn't mind helping us out there.

Just cut through the BS – how would specific "clamp-n-mat" gear impact TT sound for us, the under $500 upgrades? Should we even address this "clamping-n-matting"?

And note, there are quite a few like me who aren't ready to enter the mine-laiden Field of Products known as The Law Of Diminishing Returns; so for us, I'm ruling out $500-$1000+ upgrades that do deeply impact (looking at you, Nagaoka MP-200). Yet, even in that mine-laiden Field, is it possible to play with these sorts of things... All for the goal of making (slightly more than subtle) differences?

The Ultradeck is designed to be used without a mat, but when I had a Pro-Ject deck I used a deer leather mat that seemed to work nicely. It was mostly an aesthetic/anti-static decision, as the default felt mat was a static magnet.

Clamp-wise, I use a relatively inexpensive Big Ben record weight, which mostly helps wish mildly dished records. My wife doesn't even bother with it when she uses the setup.

Items I've found to be genuinely useful investments:
  • A Squeaky-Clean vacuum record cleaner
  • A Zero-Stat for zapping static charge
  • A Zero-Dust (or, if you prefer, some Blu-tac) for cleaning the stylus
  • A Vinyl Flat (or access to someone with a Vinyl Flat)

The Ultradeck is designed to be used without a mat, but when I had a Pro-Ject deck I used a deer leather mat that seemed to work nicely. It was mostly an aesthetic/anti-static decision, as the default felt mat was a static magnet.

Clamp-wise, I use a relatively inexpensive Big Ben record weight, which mostly helps wish mildly dished records. My wife doesn't even bother with it when she uses the setup.

Items I've found to be genuinely useful investments:
  • A Squeaky-Clean vacuum record cleaner
  • A Zero-Stat for zapping static charge
  • A Zero-Dust (or, if you prefer, some Blu-tac) for cleaning the stylus
  • A Vinyl Flat (or access to someone with a Vinyl Flat)
HELPFUL!! love it

Sibilance I would generally connect to cartridge/stylus setup/wear or table setup.

Seems table dependent on Mats, I'm pretty happy with deer leather that someone made for me on my VPI, but have a rubber/cork composite on my list to try. Others like acrylic mats like Herbies and others. Felt and some cork mats seem like static magnets in the winter/dry months.

There are also different types of clamps and weights, not all of them work on all tables so do your research. Like a few others here I use the Michell Delrin Reflex clamp and like the results. At worst it helps flatten out not flat records, at best it helps isolate the album from the platter resonances. https://artech-electronics.com/shop/ols/categories/record-clamps

Good luck with your journey!

Last edited:
I use a mat because the uturn’s VTA is meant to have a mat. However, I have an acrylic mat which effectively functions as an extension of my platter. Acrylic is a good platter choice as it lowers vibrations etc, the idea is to make the platter an extension of the record to minimize noise etc.

I use a clamp and a weight. They have similar benefits sonically and a clamp has a different ancillary use. Again, the idea is to couple the record to the platter to reduce vibrations, outside noise etc.

A clamp as mentioned above can fix minor dish warps.

Check your manufacturer’s recommendations on weights and clamps.

Together, these “upgrades” provide a quieter sound stage and tighten bass response.

I also recommend the zerodust.

It’s also important to clean your records, I use a spin clean which is the best entry level wet clean you will find for under $100.

I’ve also isolated my table and my speakers which provided better, crisper sound over all and reduced noise.
Another good idea from brother Lee. A lot of people like these $20 Ikea chopping blocks for added isolation under there turntables.

I use a mat because the uturn’s VTA is meant to have a mat. However, I have an acrylic mat which effectively functions as an extension of my platter. Acrylic is a good platter choice as it lowers vibrations etc, the idea is to make the platter an extension of the record to minimize noise etc.

I use a clamp and a weight. They have similar benefits sonically and a clamp has a different ancillary use. Again, the idea is to couple the record to the platter to reduce vibrations, outside noise etc.

A clamp as mentioned above can fix minor dish warps.

Check your manufacturer’s recommendations on weights and clamps.

Together, these “upgrades” provide a quieter sound stage and tighten bass response.

I also recommend the zerodust.

It’s also important to clean your records, I use a spin clean which is the best entry level wet clean you will find for under $100.
Super good... Question about isolation.... What I've done so far is my TT on default rubber feet, on 1/2" mdf, on a 2-cube shelf, on 2 concrete blocks (I blacked everything out with India ink, spraypaint, and sealant for funzoes). I am above a garage unfortunately not grounded.

But is there another isolation fix I am missing?

Super good... Question about isolation.... What I've done so far is my TT on default rubber feet, on 1/2" mdf, on a 2-cube shelf, on 2 concrete blocks (I blacked everything out with India ink, spraypaint, and sealant for funzoes). I am above a garage unfortunately not grounded.

But is there another isolation fix I am missing?
If your having problems with bouncy floors you could try a few different ideas:

A wall shelf (DIY or Project makes one)

A DIY sand box filled with play sand

DIY bicycle tube partially inflated under mdf

There various isolation feet, footers, cones, balls, blocks, tweaks on the market or DIY

Last edited:
If your having problems with bouncy floors your could try a few different ideas:

A wall shelf (DIY or Project makes one)

A DIY sand box filled with play sand

DIY bicycle tube partially inflated under mdf

There various isolation feet, footers, blocks, tweaks on the market
NICE

is this what you're referencing that would work for a TT?

IsoAcoustics Orea Series Audio Equipment Isolators (Graphite - 4 lbs Max/pc)​

Yup, they can either replace your feet or be used in addition to. Those are the exact model I bought. I have three, one for each foot. This is on top of the shelf I have just for the table. The cutting board @JohnnyCashFan posted would do much the same for a sixth of the price.

Yup, they can either replace your feet or be used in addition to. Those are the exact model I bought. I have three, one for each foot. This is on top of the shelf I have just for the table. The cutting board @JohnnyCashFan posted would do much the same for a sixth of the price.
That sounds super convenient & slick, too. I have been diving into the world of soundproofing last year because I was fascinated with how the room affects everything we hear (confession I listen through HPs 90% of the time).

Then I saw a studio engineer use it on Andrew Masters channel & decided why not try stacking $2 blocks... ended up happy with the results (I have 8 between speakers & 2 for TT)

Back