Boston, MA

debianlinux

Hey, so, I'm not actually in Boston but I will be for 3 days in June. I know about Newbury comics but where else should I be looking for cool record stores or underground/scene live music? My trip is work related but I'll be making the most of the evenings. I'm staying at the airport so I'll get a week long charlie pass and probably stick to the North End, West End and Back Bay areas. I'm open for restaurant recommendations especially since the company will be paying in that regard. I know the North End has the best Italian food I've ever eaten.

Some sleuthing on /r/boston found Newbury has significantly declined since I visited >15 years ago. So far, the best pick I'm seeing is In Your Ear Records?

Found several music venues but my dates are shit (nights of 06/09-06/11). Looks like my only hopes will be the The Sinclair or Toad?

Hey @debianlinux. Sorry for leaving you hanging, I just saw this.

What type of music are you into?

For live music, the Sinclair gets some good shows, but it's mostly touring acts so you are at their mercy. Smaller venues: for live local stuff Toad can be solid, or Atwoods for largely americana and bluesy stuff (in Somerville, and not on the T), The Lizard Lounge usually has some eclectic local stuff (in Cambridge, not far from Toad - between Harvard & Porter), Red Room at 939 has booked some interesting stuff (on Boylston and run by Berkeley).

For records, yeah, In Your Ear is a stalwart. Again, depending on musical tastes, there's a new(ish) record place in Union Square (Somerville) called Vinyl Index that is supposed to be solid.

So, scratch the Vinyl Index. Everything else should be within walking distance (Atwoods Tavern is a bit of a hike, but I love that place).

If you have any other specific questions, I'd be happy to help.

In your ear was every thing I had hoped it would be. I loved the guys running the place. I bought a stack of cheap records I have no idea how I am going to pack home. I packed a mailer thinking I might snag one or two records not a dozen, lol. My cleaner will be getting a workout as these things are the dustiest records maybe I have ever seen but otherwise appear in great shape. If I lived here I would go broke in that place. I got some serious cred with those old crusties because I was hunting for some of the records from our listening club (Dr John and Howard Wales) ans also some old local band I heard of called Apollo Sunshine (can’t reme if that rec came from here of RED).

So far I have eaten at Eastern Standard and Shojo. Both top notch in very different ways. Shojo is the kind of hip Atlanta tries so hard to be and can’t quite cut.

• Cheers
Reactions: mgp
Awesome. Nice finds - you did your research. What else is on tap?

Shojo is one of my favorites and a must when in that part of town. I haven't been to Eastern Standard in a while, but their cocktail program is top notch. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Did Myers and Chang tonight. I know it’s a bit on the trendy side but it is truly no-fail. Speaking of trendy I did duck into Newbury. Selection is better than anticipated. Prices are steep. I bought a couple things and felt guilty because I could likely have gotten the same between a couple local shops at home. Still they were glaring holes in my collection that needed to be filled.

Flying home tomorrow after training so my trip is basically over. It was great and I am thinking about bringing the wife and leaving the kids behind in the not too distant future. I need to find a cheap place to stay and am thinking airbnb is the way. The fucking hotel I stayed at (Hilton Logan) was over $500 a night!

Here’s hoping the Bruins bring home the cup tomorrow evening!

• Cheers
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing. I'm not originally from here, but I've come to love (most things about) my adopted home.

It's a good place to visit with wife or with the whole family. Maybe shoot for an airbnb though, I've heard the hotels are ridiculous.

And I won't shout it too loudly, but I kind of like Newbury Comics. I have a few friends that worked there (not the one on Newbury) in high school and college, so I've spent a fair amount of money and time there over the years. I think they get a bad rap for their mail order business!

For anyone in or around Boston stop in and say good retirement to Jack At Stereo Jacks in Cambridge. He is retiring in August and selling stock to a new owner elsewhere.

• Sad
Wow, thanks for sharing. I've spent a ton of time in Stereo Jacks over the years and just drove by it on Sunday. I will make it my business to get over there in the coming weeks.

I guess I should be used to these things, by now, but Stereo Jacks was an institution (for me and my friends anyway). The end of an era, for sure.

Back