Any thoughts on D Class Amps ?

B

Black Sheep Audio

A slippery slope I know. Any thoughts, success stories, hate ? Particularly the Volt+ D amp ?

A slippery slope I know. Any thoughts, success stories, hate ? Particularly the Volt+ D amp ?
When I thought My MF M6i was buggered beyond the realms of unbuggery i listened to the Marantz KI- Ruby as a possible replacement and it was fantastic. Had mine not been rescued from the brink by a dreadlocked, catloving former MF engineer I'd be listening to one this exact second.

I owned a Rogue Sphinx and thought it sounded great. Ended up going pure tubes in my particular setup, but I’d have no qualms recommending class D to most folks, especially if their speakers don’t already edge toward being revealing.

Bang & Olufsen uses class D amps in their powered speakers. Or at least they used to. They recently dumped their HiFi line in favor of smart speakers.
I have a pair of BeoLab 2 that sound pretty good, but they would do better in a smaller room than I have.

Last edited:
I've never really given them enough time of day if I'm honest. But I've also heard a few in various systems, and none of those systems wow'd me either. I'm sure they can sound good, it's just a matter of other corresponding equipment and matching things up correctly.
For most speakers, I would probably prefer an A/B or A amp. But if you're working with speakers with higher power demands that already create a lot of dimensionality on their own (I'm thinking planar,) I could see that being a good fit.
But with any speakers with an efficiency above like 85db, I'd imagine I'd prefer at least an A/B most of the time. Assuming all prices are equal.

I've never really given them enough time of day if I'm honest. But I've also heard a few in various systems, and none of those systems wow'd me either. I'm sure they can sound good, it's just a matter of other corresponding equipment and matching things up correctly.
For most speakers, I would probably prefer an A/B or A amp. But if you're working with speakers with higher power demands that already create a lot of dimensionality on their own (I'm thinking planar,) I could see that being a good fit.
But with any speakers with an efficiency above like 85db, I'd imagine I'd prefer at least an A/B most of the time. Assuming all prices are equal.

The Maggies I had weren’t a good fit with Class D. The Maggies actually worked the best with my PrimaLuna.

The allure of D class (Allo Volt+ D) is low cost for me (around $150 usd) but I don't think I'm rolling the dice. Watching the used and vintage markets carefully.

Back