78mpr player

andy20066

can any recommended a cheap record player that can play 78s as i have some that need checking before i sell them

Maybe a dumb question, but would playing the 78s at 45 rpm be sufficient for your purposes? Surface noise, clicks/pops would still be noticeable, right?

can any recommended a cheap record player that can play 78s as i have some that need checking before i sell them

Do you have a turntable at the moment? A lot of even the belt drive ones can be sped up to 78 with very simple add on pullys and cartridges like the 2M have 78 styli that can be fitted to onto the standard cartridge body for the purposes you want to use it for.

yes but don't have an option to play 78s

What type is is? Mine doesn’t out of the box but I can buy an additional pulley that fits on top of the current one and turns the 45 to 78. Some of the direct drives ones don’t appear to but pressing a combination of buttons opens it up. And dependent on the cartridge you can clip the normal stylus off and put a 78 one on. Would likely be cheaper than a new special table and won’t be prone to wreck the records like the suitcase ones can.

https://wwhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PS-LX300USB-Turntable-Diamond-Connection/dp/B0015HOFZI?th=1w.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PS-LX300USB-Turntable-Diamond-Connection/dp/B0015HOFZI?th=1

Unfortunately, that's not going to support 78rpm.

Also, are the records you have shellac or vinyl? That will determine the stylus you need to use for playback.

shellac ones
Unfortunately, you'll need a table that both supports 78 RPM and has a cartridge with an available shellac-compatible stylus. I'm not sure there's a good way to do this super cheaply, but you should start by trying to find a used Audio Technica LP120, as that's probably the cheapest table available that checks both boxes. Then you will need to purchase this stylus, which should fit the AT95E cartridge that comes on the LP120.

Back