Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Experts are saying the official death toll for COVID-19 is not reliable because it is under estimating the number of deaths. It does not include anyone who was not tested. Whether they died before they could be tested or died out side of the hospital.

However, the right wing media is reported that the official death toll is 'over inflated'.

No need to be an expert. As I already said, the first numbers in France didn't included people who died from the coronavirus outside of the hospitals. The death numbers are given by hospitals. So if someone dies at home, in nursing homes, jail, social structures, hotel, etc... These deaths are not included. Only this week French government started communicating on deaths in nursing homes (and the numbers are high, like very high).

EDIT: other countries are certainly doing the same. There is in fact no way to have an exact number. On a positive point, the numbers of people how were contaminated and are good now is also underestimated. Many people have the virus whitout any symptoms, others successfully fought the virus with no need to go to a hospital.

Last edited:
I have to figure out what I'm going to do for restocking on groceries.

They are advising to not go out to the grocery stores, but rather use curbside pickup or delivery.

Neither Market Basket or Shaws has either of those. The local Target and Walmart have curbside pickup but no groceries as they are older smaller stores. Amazon Fresh is not yet available in my area. Stop & Shop has PeaPod, but there is nothing but complaints about it, impossible to get scheduled deliveries and their website has been down for maintenance for at least 24 hours now.

My local Market Basket has had one of their employees pass away from COVID-19 :cry: :cry::cry::cry:

Other employees have tested positive and are in quarantine.
you could see if Instacart is available for any stores near you. I... wasn't going to use them all the time. I didn't want to cross the picket line since a lot of shoppers are striking for more pay. But my girlfriend didn't want me going out to the grocery store so we've been using them. I've just been tipping at least 20% if not more. You may not be able to find an open time to get an order delivered for a couple of days. We've been planning meals well in advance in order to place an order for a week from today, for example.

If you use this link you can get $10 off your order, you may have better luck in finding a store that has it since I'd imagine you have more stores near you. Oddly enough, the closest grocery store to me is a 1 minute drive but they're not on Instacart, so I've been ordering from a store a mile away instead - Instacart - $10 off and Free Grocery Delivery.
The best option is to use small stores if they exist near you, change your shopping patterns.

It's all about chance of exposure, and going to giant supermarkets is a recipe for disaster. We have a co-op we go to here for most stuff, and you can also try like asian grocery stores which are smaller and generally well stocked. Then save your trips to the big store for like once a month to stock up, and go during off times.

The best option is to use small stores if they exist near you, change your shopping patterns.

It's all about chance of exposure, and going to giant supermarkets is a recipe for disaster. We have a co-op we go to here for most stuff, and you can also try like asian grocery stores which are smaller and generally well stocked. Then save your trips to the big store for like once a month to stock up, and go during off times.
My Asian grocery actually closed for a couple weeks. I'm not sure why. I actually felt safer there because they were wearing masks and wiping down the conveyor belts after each use long before the other grocery stores were doing anything. I don't blame them if they wanted to reduce their exposure and risk of getting sick.

it's nice to live in a state with a competent governor and health department. this page is updated everyday at 11am and over the past few weeks as more data has been accumulated, more figures were offered.

our stay at home order was extended to May 4th this afternoon. infections and deaths are still increasing here of course but we seem to be doing well / have decreased the rates. i think the models have us about a week out from peak infection.

Last edited:
Interesting case study showing how COVID-19 spreads and why social distancing is really important in the fight. It details how a single person can set off a disastrous chain reaction.

One infected person with very mild symptoms resulted in at least 15 down-line infections and 3 deaths.

original publication:

And because I like charts, this is how they graphed out the case study:

1586384880194.png

Last edited:
No need to be an expert. As I already said, the first numbers in France didn't included people who died from the coronavirus outside of the hospitals. The death numbers are given by hospitals. So if someone dies at home, in nursing homes, jail, social structures, hotel, etc... These deaths are not included. Only this week French government started communicating on deaths in nursing homes (and the numbers are high, like very high).

EDIT: other countries are certainly doing the same. There is in fact no way to have an exact number. On a positive point, the numbers of people how were contaminated and are good now is also underestimated. Many people have the virus whitout any symptoms, others successfully fought the virus with no need to go to a hospital.

There are huge complexities in calculating death rates that give unfortunate scope for argument and it’s been rammed home by a sad event today. A good friend of mine lost his father this afternoon. He was 93, had advanced dementia and had fallen badly roughly two weeks ago. While in hospital, being treated he was tested and came back positive for COVID19 and his death certificate will reflect this- he will be one small part of the UK figures tomorrow whatever they are. Those figures cannot reflect that his chances of survival even before the pandemic were not especially good.

Just heard a report on grocery stores and employees wanting more protection while working on the front lines.

One of the thing that stood out to me in the story was that when Customers wear PPE while shopping, they often leave them in the grocery cart when they are done shopping. This is leading to store employees having to clean up PPE and being put at risk.

What is wrong with people. Why do people think its okay to take off their PPE and leave it in shopping carts. Someones got to pick up after you. Take it home with you and throw it out.

My wife and I were able to schedule a grocery curbside pickup for Saturday. It's the first time we've found an open slot in the schedule. Very grateful that it's an option.

Ohio cases are supposedly peaked as of Wednesday. Curious if that will actually hold true or not. Haven't heard from my doctor friends in a few days, but last check things were bad but not as awful as anticipated.

Meanwhile my power is out from a wind storm so I can't work besides email on my phone, which is frustrating.

Probably completely unreleased, or has been discussed before, but remember those 'Vaping' stories about people getting crazy lung damage and yet their was never a consensus on what it actually was, Vitamin A took a bad rap but was never concluded, not entirely sure what the other symptoms of that was but was wondering if there was a chance those 'Vaping' issues could've been this COVID-19?

It hasn't come up. But the answer is likely the same as those people who say they had COVID-19 back in November, December and January.

The answer is the timeline doesn't match up. The probability of it actually being COVID-19 is so low that it's just above impossible.

COVID-19 is highly infectious. So if it was around when the Vaping issues were happening we would have seen our healthcare system overwhelmed around that time as well. It was not.

My wife said there is talk of layoffs at her hospital during this. Sounds crazy at the surface, but her hospital is apparently losing money because so much of their income is from outpatient procedures, elective surgeries, and other things that have been put on hold through this. Probably not nurses, but techs and pharmacists would be the ones to be let go.

My wife said there is talk of layoffs at her hospital during this. Sounds crazy at the surface, but her hospital is apparently losing money because so much of their income is from outpatient procedures, elective surgeries, and other things that have been put on hold through this. Probably not nurses, but techs and pharmacists would be the ones to be let go.
Our local university hospital laid off 900 people, including some nurses, others have had their hours and/or pay cut 15-20%.

Yeah, I posted an article about that last week. Many hospitals in New York and New Jersey were having layoffs for the same reasons.

Because there are no elective surgeries and outpatient procedures and whatnot many of the people who working in billing are being laid off.

Cafeteria staff and gift shop staff are also being laid off because there are no visitors being allowed at this time.

Another major difference ins outpatient procedures are for the most part guaranteed money. People choosing to have them have insurance or are able to pay for the procedure.

When it comes to people with COVID-19 ending up in the ICU, if they don't have health insurance odds are they will not be able to pay. Hospitals will not get that income and will face bankruptcy. Our healthcare system is not built to handle situations like this.

The people without health insurance will also likely be financially ruined, have liens placed against their houses and have wages garnished for years to the rest of their lives.

Stupid robot check...

Anyways this article is about how people cured of COVID-19 are flaring back up with it in South Korea. Studies are going on now to determine why and how.

Right now it is believed that the virus can flare back up making you sick again rather than people catching the virus again.

This is realy scary if you think about it.

If it's anything like HIV, Herpes, chicken pox and what not, it may be possible to get flare ups later life. Like how chicken pox causes shingles. Herpes can cause cold sores.

Back