The Needles & Grooves May 2024 Omniversal Spin Challenge Arkestra

May 10 - Where Pathways Meet

I wasn't sure what I wanted to play, so I just grabbed this one.

Korn – The Path Of Totality
Music On Vinyl/Roadrunner Records – MOVLP2054, 2011/2020

Pressed at Record Industry

RroENn.jpg

S9qa1m.jpg

May 12 - Smile

"Give Birth to a Smile" is the only track on the album that features all 4 members of Pink Floyd...the other 3 are uncredited because Roger is a dick.

Ron Geesin & Roger Waters – Music From The Body
Import Records – IMP 1002, 1970/1976

Cut at Sterling Sound
Plated at Tracy-Val Corporation
Pressed at Superior Record Pressing Corp.

6WEQanD.jpg

7b6BSoX.jpg

The full movie doesn't appear to be on Youtube anymore...so here's the trailer.

May 14 - Pink Elephants On Parade

This album contains Sun Ra's version of song along with some other spectacular covers by The Replacements, Tom Waits, Bonnie Raitt, Los Lobos and others. It's also the sole Sun Ra entry in my collection, although that will change after listening to some of the tracks played so far. Really enjoying this month.

Various Artists ~ Stay Awake: Various Interpretations of Music from Vintage Disney Films

IMG_7397.jpeg

May 14 - Pink Elephants On Parade

This album contains Sun Ra's version of song along with some other spectacular covers by The Replacements, Tom Waits, Bonnie Raitt, Los Lobos and others. It's also the sole Sun Ra entry in my collection, although that will change after listening to some of the tracks played so far. Really enjoying this month.

Various Artists ~ Stay Awake: Various Interpretations of Music from Vintage Disney Films

View attachment 202864

Compilations can be hit or miss, but this one is definitely a hit!

On “Great Balls Of Fire

A longtime hidden gem of the vast Omniverse, "Great Balls of Fire" was the B-side to 1958's "Hours After" 7". While neither is present on this cut, the A-side of the single introduced Arkestra stalwarts Ronnie Boykins and Marshall Allen (who leads the Arkestra to this day) into the omniverse. This calypso-tinged blues tune B-side is actually a rehearsal recording (one of the better ones in the vast archive of a man who recorded damn near everything!) and foreshadowed some of what was to come with the release of Jazz In Silhouette and The Nubians of Plutonia shortly after. It's estimated that only 275 copies of the 7" were pressed in 1958. "Great Balls of Fire" wouldn't see release again until Evidence's 1996 collection The Singles. This one seemed like a good pick for International Firefighters Day.

On “I'm Gonna Unmask The Batman

A little taste of the funner side of the Omniverse, this one is a cover of a Lacy Gibson tune. Gibson recorded for Saturn Records but without the involvement of Ra and the Arkestra. Sun Ra's partner Alton Abraham was credited as co-writing this one with Gibson. This particular version is from a 1974 Philadelphia radio broadcast with Sam Bankhead credited as the vocalist. The song would remain a staple in Arkestra setlists for decades to come. Figuring it might give folks a good chuckle, I chose this one for World Laughter Day.

Before landing on "I'm Gonna Unmask The Batman," I'd originally been considering "Joker is Wild" from the Batman and Robin album credited to The Sensational Guitars of Dan and Dale - a rotating cast of sessions musicians brought in to cut quick and dirty cash grab albums based on current cultural trends. This particular session had booked The Blues Project, but Al Kooper declined to attend his father's 50th birthday. Sunny was brought in to replace Kooper on keys and brought saxophonists John Gilmore and Pat Patrick along for the ride.

May 13 - My Favorite Things

The Tragically Hip "Phantom Power" (1998 Universal; 2023 25th Anniversary edition)
The Tragically Hip have a "greatest hits" set called Yer Favorites. There are 5 tracks from this album on that set. Anyway, the Hip are one of my favorites and this record is right up there as well.

IMG_1199.JPG

May 8 - Advice To Medics

Iron & Wine - Light Verse

Accidentally skipped this prompt, so here's one out of order. I'm making this one work by connecting the prompt to album closer "Angels Go Home," which is what a medic is trying to make the angel of death do- go home without this person. (Yeah, it's a stretch, but who's going to stop me?!)

1000149288.jpg

Back