The Needles & Grooves May 2024 Omniversal Spin Challenge Arkestra

My grandma had two movies that she loved, Gone With The Wind and this. She took a few of us grandkids to see this performed live as a play at the Fox theater in Detroit when I was probably six. The theater still is etched into my mind for how awesome it is inside.
AF1QipNQAWHRgcDpQhRRAZmOtfbNwooYBLe0h6zOA-no=s1328-w720-h1328
Nice. The Fox is beautiful. I haven't been in a few years, but I always try to see shows there when it works out. I saw Wilco there like 10 years ago.

On “The Second Stop Is Jupiter

A few years back when I started collecting again, the compilation that hosts this song was the first Sun Ra record I picked up. I'd been rather familiar with his 60s-80s output by this point, but none of the work he did with vocal groups in the earlier Chicago days. My favourite of these groups is The Cosmic Rays, who are captured here attempting this tune, which would eventually be incorporated into The Nu Sounds' "Spaceship Lullaby" instead. The chant also pops up in various live sets through the decades, but this particular version remains my favourite. For a completely different incarnation of the tune, look no further than this one right here from Pharoah Sanders' brief time as part of the Arkestra:

On “Sun Song

Titled "Spur of the Moment" in Sun Ra's original copyright filings, "Sun Song" was recorded in 1956 by Sunny and his recently christened Arkestra for his 1957 debut, Jazz By Sun Ra (which would be reissued in 1967 as Sun Song by Delmark Records). It's a straightforward little number that carries strong hints of the space jazz sounds Sunny would soon be exploring much deeper. This song seemed like the perfect pick for World Solar Energy Day.

Back