Steve Albini's Blues - Remembering a Legend

We all know the bigger names he produced but if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions of albums he was a part of that might not be as well known I am all ears.

In listening to some podcasts about Albini’s legacy someone mentioned a German group, 18th Dye that I was completely unfamiliar with. They put out a couple albums in the early 90s on Matador. Albini engineered their 1995 album, Tribute To A Bus and IT IS AWESOME!

I already ordered a copy off of eBay. Even on Spotify the drums sound gigantic.

Scout Niblett – Kidnapped By Neptune
Scout Niblett – I AM
Uzeda – Stella
The Ex – Starters Alternators
Shannon Wright – Over The Sun
Silkworm – Firewater
Tar – Jackson
Pussy Galore – Dial 'M' For Motherfucker
Dazzling Killmen – Medicine Me 7"
Oxbow – Let Me Be A Woman
Federation X - X Patriot
Big'n – Discipline Through Sound
Brainiac - Hissing Prigs in Static Couture
The Mentally Ill – Strike The Bottom Red
Don Caballero – American Don
Zeni Geva - 全体去勢
Veruca Salt – Blow It Out Your Ass It's Veruca Salt (note - weird this isn't more known or whatever, it's good, and I am not a big VS person AT ALL)
The Great Unraveling – The Angel Rang Virtue 7"
Cheer-Accident – Not A Food
Distorted Pony – Punishment Room
Jim O'Rourke, Tony Conrad, Richard Youngs, Faust & Keith Rowe – In God We Trust 7" (note: petty wild he was involved with these heavyweights, don't sleep on this)
Melt-Banana – Scratch Or Stitch

and just remember the name FACS.....

(I'll add more to this as time goes on)

Last edited:
The unreleased to the public Shellac album , that is awesome called "Furturist" . Story goes this was basically for a dance troupe, an oddity at first, and a bit more experimental than any other Shellac record, but it totally rips

They decided to release it, but only pressed it for friends. Everyone from Dave Grohl, to Bob Bert, to Rachel Grimes were sent a copy. If you find a copy anywhere, it was meant for a "friend" , meaning you own a copy on the list that is on the cover. Another part of the myth

I was posting my relistening the other day in the Spinning thread - only playing Big Black/Rapeman/Shellac for now - will eventually work in some other albums he worked on - but this will be in-between playing other stuff, so it will be a slow burn.

RIP

Shellac – To All Trains
Touch And Go – TG444LP, 2024

Cut by Robert Weston at Chicago Mastering Service
Injection Molded at Green Vinyl Records

05b4Jcz.jpg

J2foRGU.jpg

A couple more from The Guardian

Back