New Music Friday!

I always pay attention when @Twentytwo says that an album is his favorite and damn, "Autonomy" is a killer of a record. Can't believe I missed Stephanie Lambring but glad I know now!

I still haven't worked my way back to Autonomy but Hypocrite is almost certainly going to by #1 for the month and is a strong contender for AotY among what's been released during the first 1/3 year.

Radar List, 3rd May 2024
  • Desiderii MarginisBathe In Black Light (Dark Ambient)
  • Die Anarchistische Abendunterhaltung (DAAU)Musik Für Animierten Tonspurfilm (Early Electronic / Soundtracks)
  • Jan JelinekSocial Engineering (Electronic / Electro / IDM / EBM)
  • Kamasi WashingtonFearless Movement (Funk / Jazz / Blues / Soul / Gospel)
  • Lapsed PacifistHypatia (Ambient / Downtempo / Dreampop)
  • NSI.A Day Or Two (Electronic / Electro / IDM / EBM)
  • ULVTHARM7Uthras (Dark Industrial / Mythical Ambiance)
  • Unearthly RitesEcdysi (Death)

Radar List, 3rd May 2024
  • Desiderii MarginisBathe In Black Light (Dark Ambient)
  • Die Anarchistische Abendunterhaltung (DAAU)Musik Für Animierten Tonspurfilm (Early Electronic / Soundtracks)
  • Jan JelinekSocial Engineering (Electronic / Electro / IDM / EBM)
  • Kamasi WashingtonFearless Movement (Funk / Jazz / Blues / Soul / Gospel)
  • Lapsed PacifistHypatia (Ambient / Downtempo / Dreampop)
  • NSI.A Day Or Two (Electronic / Electro / IDM / EBM)
  • ULVTHARM7Uthras (Dark Industrial / Mythical Ambiance)
  • Unearthly RitesEcdysi (Death)
Mythical ambiance as a tag has got me going 👀👀👀

New Iron & Wine and St. Vincent are very good. I had the lowest expectations for both since I don't think either have released a good album in a while. Iron & Wine is the better of the two IMO, it's much more folksy than his recent works and the addition of strings on a few songs is beautiful. I didn't like St. Vincent's too much at first but it's growing on me. This new one is easily better than Daddy's Home and Masseducation. She can go even heavier/darker if she wants, but the "lighter" songs harken back to some of her earlier albums so it still works.

New Iron & Wine and St. Vincent are very good. I had the lowest expectations for both since I don't think either have released a good album in a while. Iron & Wine is the better of the two IMO, it's much more folksy than his recent works and the addition of strings on a few songs is beautiful. I didn't like St. Vincent's too much at first but it's growing on me. This new one is easily better than Daddy's Home and Masseducation. She can go even heavier/darker if she wants, but the "lighter" songs harken back to some of her earlier albums so it still works.
I, too, was surprised with the new I&W album and share your sentiments. It's one of the best of the year for me at this point.

I, too, was surprised with the new I&W album and share your sentiments. It's one of the best of the year for me at this point.
I absolutely LOVE Our Endless Numbered Days and The Creek Drank the Cradle so when he released The Shepherd's Dog I was repulsed. What is this??? Horns? Saxophones? Drums??? no!! get outta here. I like some of that album and subsequent albums since, but he had lost that magic IMO. I also believe his voice is too soft for a lot of instrumentation and is better with less around it. This new one strikes a nice balance musically.

I came to Iron and Wine late. Ghost on Ghost was the first one I got. I bought it because my wife convinced me to go see him live… Beast Epic was the first I got new. I absolutely love all his music.

I get that this album strikes a different balance from his former work, but it also feels like an extension of the live album from last year, Who Can See Forever.

Radar List for 5.3.24

Mdou Moctar – Funeral for Justice
Blockhead – Luminous Rubble
Luke Stewart – Unknown Rivers
Jorja Smith – Falling Or Flying (Reimagined)
Amy Aileen Wood – The Heartening
Kamasi Washington – Fearless Movement
The Deep Dark Woods – Broadside Ballads Vol. III
Adeem the Artist – Anniversary
Jharis Yokley – Sometimes, Late At Night
Ibelisse Guardia Ferragutti & Frank Rosaly – MESTIZX
Rachel Chinouriri – What a Devastating Turn of Events
Ibibio Sound Machine – Pull the Rope
B. Dolan – The Wound Is Not The Body
Elkka – Prism of Pleasure
Ruth Theodore – I Am I Am
Dan Rincon – Spotlight City
John Carpenter – Lost Themes IV: Noir
Nubiyan Twist – Find Your Flame

Radar 📡 List for 5/3:

Broadcast - Spell Blanket - Collected Demos - 2006-2009
Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism
Ibibio Sound MachinePull the Rope
Kamasi Washington - Fearless Movement
Mdou MoctarFuneral for Justice
MISSIO - I Am Cinco
Jessica Pratt - Here In the Pitch
Sia - Reasonable Woman
Frank Turner - Undefeated
Hana Vu - Romanticism
WILLOW - empathogen
Charlotte Day Wilson - Cyan Blue

This one wasn't on any of the lists I used to build mine...

Library music so it's not top tier Soul Assassins beat wizardry, but it's a solid listen.

Holy fucking shit! The 🆕 Mdou Moctar slaps!! 🎸🔥🤘
They have really achieved something cool with this album, in replicating the vibe of their live performance in a studio album. I feel like the way this is best represented is in all the gradual tempo shifts by the drummer in the more energetic tracks. Their live show is so entrancing because you feel like your on this roller coaster ride as things speed up and slow down so naturally, but of course that is so hard make seem natural.

Can't wait to see him in June, for the 5th time. I love how every time I've seen him he's played at a larger venue, and filled it. This time I'll actually be in MA seeing him in a festival setting. I'm not usually a festival-goer, but I'm pretty psyched to see him affect a larger audience, and to hear the music on full blast. It will be quite a shift from seeing him in 2018 with like 40 people at an art gallery space.

Last edited:
The Lemon Twigs have done it again!!!

1aadb802-e868-4a03-a1af-44a5773febd6_text.gif

Back