Movies

The Fall Guy was big, dumb fun. I wish more people still liked big, dumb fun that didn't involve the Rock or Vin Diesel. But you put up Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt and it doesn't take much convincing to get me there.

Great point about the big, dumb, fun Hollywood blockbuster. I have a certain nostalgia for some of them.

I was super bummed to miss The Mummy make its triumphant return to theatres last month. I was at Paisley Park so I wasn’t too pressed about it. But in honor of big, dumb, charming flicks I watched The Mummy and The Mummy Returns back to back this week. Gods, everyone was so hot in that movie.

Finally caught The Iron Claw on Max. Beautiful, gripping and tragic. Lots of ways it reminds me of The Virgin Suicides. I understand the decision to leave the youngest brother, Chris out of film given the trauma the family suffered as a whole was unbelievably heartbreaking but it would have been better if they told the whole story.

Last edited:
Finally saw Your Name. and I finally fully "get" the Shinkai hype. Had only seen Weathering With You before which was really good but not mind-blowing. Had no idea how cosmic Your Name. would be, which feels highly appropriate given the reach of the aurora borealis at the moment (despite not being able to see it from inside Chicago).

Will be watching Suzume at some point later this month, since it's on Netflix, and have access to some of his earlier works on Criterion Channel as well.

Finally saw Your Name. and I finally fully "get" the Shinkai hype. Had only seen Weathering With You before which was really good but not mind-blowing. Had no idea how cosmic Your Name. would be, which feels highly appropriate given the reach of the aurora borealis at the moment (despite not being able to see it from inside Chicago).

Will be watching Suzume at some point later this month, since it's on Netflix, and have access to some of his earlier works on Criterion Channel as well.
Your Name is his masterpiece. I’ve seen it so many times and it it still slaps me around.

(edit: soundtrack also rules)

Last edited:
Back