Tom Jones - "Thunderball"
Paul McCartney - "Live And Let Die"
Lulu - "The Man With The Golden Gun"
Duran Duran - "A View To A Kill"
The John Berry Orchestra - "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
Matt Monro - "From Russia With Love"
Rita Coolidge - "All Time High"
Blasphemy!

I dunno, what's your relationship to animation in general?
Estranged. Coming back around through the eyes of a 3 year old, but I'll be honest, my brush with Howl's Moving Castle has made me wary. I've never felt like I get the appeal of Japanese material in the first place. I keep looking for an explanation of it that will make it click for me in a way that it never has, but...hasn't happened yet.

I'm so glad there are other Blankies on this forum

SO EXCITED FOR KON.
Kon_03.jpg

Kon?

Estranged. Coming back around through the eyes of a 3 year old, but I'll be honest, my brush with Howl's Moving Castle has made me wary. I've never felt like I get the appeal of Japanese material in the first place. I keep looking for an explanation of it that will make it click for me in a way that it never has, but...hasn't happened yet.
I love Howl's (narrative mess that it is), but it's very much a vibes movie.

I dunno if Kon will be the one to change your mind, but I think he has a unique and influential filmmaking style and has had a number of creative concepts and specific images lifted wholesale by western filmmakers. The fact that he died unexpectedly and has such a short filmography makes him easy to approach.

Seinfeld is a hack (on top of being a creep and scumbag) who lucked out on being a namesake and mouthpiece for Larry David at his peak
Cool but his show was funny even after Larry David left. I am more of a LD fan than a Seinfeld fan but I still think Jerry’s stand-up was pretty funny in his prime, never my favorite but hardly a hack.

It’s a shame he seems to be moving into “comedians can’t be funny anymore because of woke liberals” portion of of his career, acting like Always Sunny and Curb Your Enthusiasm weren't on the air with new seasons in 2024.

He was pretty creepy, as a 35-year old man driving his Porsche to pick up his 17-year girlfriend from high school in the early 90s.

What's a good entry point, if not chronological?
Each of his works is pretty distinctive - the only suggestion I have is watching Paranoia Agent (his series) last, since it's kind of born from his scrapbook of unused ideas and thus has thematic connections to everything else he did.

I think Paprika was probably most Westerners' first exposure to Kon.

Chronological's as good an idea as any, though Perfect Blue, his first film, is also his most intense work by quite a bit.

Each of his works is pretty distinctive - the only suggestion I have is watching Paranoia Agent (his series) last, since it's kind of born from his scrapbook of unused ideas and thus has thematic connections to everything else he did.

Chronological's as good an idea as any, though Perfect Blue, his first film, is also his most intense work by quite a bit.
Tokyo Godfathers is probably the easiest to start out with compared to the rest of his work. I haven't seen Millennium Actress yet so i don't know how it compares to Perfect Blue and Paprika.

Tokyo Godfathers is probably the easiest to start out with compared to the rest of his work. I haven't seen Millennium Actress yet so i don't know how it compares to Perfect Blue and Paprika.
IMO they're all bangers, but Millennium Actress is the hardest one to categorize.

Tokyo Godfathers is probably the most digestible of the four, but I feel like it also has a higher proportion of people who bounce off of it because of its unusual tone.

What's a good entry point, if not chronological?
Depends on what you want out of a viewing experience!

Most of his works are dimensional in some regard.

Perfect Blue, his darkest film, is psychological as all hell and was a direct influence on several of Darren Aronofsky's works (he's even replicated some of Kon's scenes).

Paprika is a bit sprier and leans into sci-fi / dreamscapes. I revisit this one most. Absolutely batshit in the best way.

Millennium Actress lets Kon's love of cinema shine with its timeline and genre hopping storyline about documentarians exploring the life of a retired but once-beloved star actress.

Tokyo Godfathers is his most accessible as an off-kilter moralistic tale about social misfits at Christmas. Tugs the heartstrings.

I haven't seen any of his films, but it might be time to dive in. As I've been trying to get more into anime films the past few years, the is a big blind spot for me.

If you’re not already on my Plex, shoot me a DM.
Curious, do you boot those that are inactive? I think I was on yours a couple years back, but admittedly, our new kid got the best of me and I didn’t have much time for the classics. Hoping that’ll change but if you only want those that are very active, I understand.

Curious, do you boot those that are inactive? I think I was on yours a couple years back, but admittedly, our new kid got the best of me and I didn’t have much time for the classics. Hoping that’ll change but if you only want those that are very active, I understand.
I generally don’t, but I think I may have once done some paring down. If you lost access, hit me up.

Less active is fine with me, only got so much bandwidth to go around.

Back