Guitar Players Thread

Don't feel like you need to learn anything in particular! Learning to play is definitely a journey, but it's always gotta remain fun. There are lots of ways to learn and play without traditional musical notation. Good luck to you and @Bsdmr2!
I second this. I have been playing for 32 years and I am proud to report that I am still learning :)

So, having never played one but looking at them for a few years, I ordered one of the St. Vincent Music Man guitars (the goldie). I'm hoping I like it, though, since it's through Sweetwater, I guess I can return it if I don't like it. It's got a couple month waitlist, but I've never owned a really nice guitar, have been playing since I was 11 (I'm 45 now), and wanted to treat myself.

Also, with that waiting time, I figure it'll show up by the time I'm done playing Elden Ring, haha.

Last edited:
I've been too pre occupied with trying to move into an apt, but I do play when I can. I'm no EVH, but I hope to get better eventually. Once I get settled in, I'm really going to start concentrating on just playing, even if it's only for 10-20 minutes a night. Right now, I only own 1 guitar: A 2011 Gibson LP Satin White Junior, with an ebony fretboard. It's a gorgeous beast.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1641720347445.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641720347445.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1641720316317.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641720316317.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1641720327899.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641720327899.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1641720338313.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641720338313.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1
I've long kept my guitars/amps/effects in the office and played there. My wife and I also have our desks/PCs in there next to one another. We both like to game.

She also likes to craft. Recently we redid our floors with vinyl planks. Since we were moving everything back and forth she asked what I thought about moving my guitar stuff out to the large room where I keep my stereo and records. Any way, it's going to work out nice. Putting an area rug with a nice leather and wood chair. My amps will live there and I got a 5-guitar case rack that will tuck in nicely next to one of my record Kallax. The only issue was my pedals. I have about 14 these days. At first I just put them on top of the Kallax but it was a little "meh".

My wife had an Ikea cube she doesn't use. So I got a $10 expandable spice rack/kitchen organizer and rigged that cube into a three-shelfer. To boot, I put some hooks on the back and out of the way for interconnect cables.

PXL_20220419_025235120.MP.jpg

If anyone cares....
Bottom shelf (clockwise starting from upper left): EQD HoofReaper/Wampler Velvet Fuzz/Gamechanger Audio Plus Pedal/MXR Timmy Overdrive/Big Muff Pi OpAmp/RimRock Effects Mythical Overdrive
Middle Shelf (same directions): Pro Co RAT/Wampler Ego Compressor/Boss DD-7/EHX Canyon Delay/Keeley Katana Boost/Ibanez TS808HW
Top Shelf (etc.): Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star Pad Reverb/EQD Hummingbird Trem/Keeley Omni Reverb // oh, and a dish from Kuwait w/ bunch of picks, tuner, and capo

PXL_20220419_025302763.MP.jpg
Cable management

There is still enough room for about 5 more standard-size pedals. On my short list of pedals is a Boss CE-2W Chorus, Radial Tonebone Twin City or BigShot ABY (haven't decided which but right now I used the Boss DD-7 if I really want to chain amps together in stereo, for which an actual ABY will be better suited), and a new reverb (leaning toward the Walrus Audio Mako Series R1, although the Strymon Bik Sky - for ~$130+ the Walrus - has been a contender, as well as the Source Audio Ventris [however, that may be leaning too hard on its app functions to really unlock its potential and I'm not sure I'm invested enough in a pedal to reach that potential]).

I've long kept my guitars/amps/effects in the office and played there. My wife and I also have our desks/PCs in there next to one another. We both like to game.

She also likes to craft. Recently we redid our floors with vinyl planks. Since we were moving everything back and forth she asked what I thought about moving my guitar stuff out to the large room where I keep my stereo and records. Any way, it's going to work out nice. Putting an area rug with a nice leather and wood chair. My amps will live there and I got a 5-guitar case rack that will tuck in nicely next to one of my record Kallax. The only issue was my pedals. I have about 14 these days. At first I just put them on top of the Kallax but it was a little "meh".

My wife had an Ikea cube she doesn't use. So I got a $10 expandable spice rack/kitchen organizer and rigged that cube into a three-shelfer. To boot, I put some hooks on the back and out of the way for interconnect cables.

View attachment 136144

If anyone cares....
Bottom shelf (clockwise starting from upper left): EQD HoofReaper/Wampler Velvet Fuzz/Gamechanger Audio Plus Pedal/MXR Timmy Overdrive/Big Muff Pi OpAmp/RimRock Effects Mythical Overdrive
Middle Shelf (same directions): Pro Co RAT/Wampler Ego Compressor/Boss DD-7/EHX Canyon Delay/Keeley Katana Boost/Ibanez TS808HW
Top Shelf (etc.): Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star Pad Reverb/EQD Hummingbird Trem/Keeley Omni Reverb // oh, and a dish from Kuwait w/ bunch of picks, tuner, and capo

View attachment 136145
Cable management

There is still enough room for about 5 more standard-size pedals. On my short list of pedals is a Boss CE-2W Chorus, Radial Tonebone Twin City or BigShot ABY (haven't decided which but right now I used the Boss DD-7 if I really want to chain amps together in stereo, for which an actual ABY will be better suited), and a new reverb (leaning toward the Walrus Audio Mako Series R1, although the Strymon Bik Sky - for ~$130+ the Walrus - has been a contender, as well as the Source Audio Ventris [however, that may be leaning too hard on its app functions to really unlock its potential and I'm not sure I'm invested enough in a pedal to reach that potential]).
Pedal talk is always welcome to me!

View attachment 131332
'
NEW PICKUP DAY!!!
Put in a Curtis Novak JM-HC Argyle neck pickup.
The paddle switch chooses rhythm or lead circuit.
The on/on/on switch next to it chooses series, parallel, or single coil. All three options are available in both circuits the way I wired it up.

I am absolutely in love with this :)
a) that pickup is killer
b) what. is. that. pickguard. where'd you find it?

I have been wanting to do a similar-ish setup on a guitar that i've been tinkering with dual-humbuckers but with coil taps/splits so that i can do series/parallel.

I went to see Bill Frisell this last week with his trio. Man that guy is so subtlety amazing. He can do much. He has so much vocabulary. It was cool to see him use how close he was to the pickup to change the tone so he could answer himself. Never really seen a guitarist use it that way.

I went to see Bill Frisell this last week with his trio. Man that guy is so subtlety amazing. He can do much. He has so much vocabulary. It was cool to see him use how close he was to the pickup to change the tone so he could answer himself. Never really seen a guitarist use it that way.
he really is a genius. his "gone, just like a train" is on my wishlist of albums-i-want-on-vinyl-but-it's-never-been-pressed. all of the NYC zorn-adjacent guitarists are complete masters -- frisell, ribot, frith (if you haven't seen the film frith did with evelyn glennie, "Touch the Sound", you should.)

Last edited:
I have seen Frith solo once. It was amazing. Have you heard the orchestral work Pacifica he did? Ribot many times with different projects.
i haven't but i will check it out! I'm usually not into ochestral work but those guys always surprise me

Seeing him at the end of May, very excited for this!

a) that pickup is killer
b) what. is. that. pickguard. where'd you find it?

I have been wanting to do a similar-ish setup on a guitar that i've been tinkering with dual-humbuckers but with coil taps/splits so that i can do series/parallel.

That pickup is dangerous, easily my favorite pickup on any of my guitars. He is teasing a dual gold foil humbucker that is a Guyatone and DeArmond pairing, so I am holding out for that for another project!

The pickguard was made by Quickguards. I unfortunately just ordered the last chrome paisley he has, but I know he has the design in other colors!

So I was trying to learn Hit is and Quit it last night before bed from this video. I got down the basic riff, I’m having trouble understanding some of the happier ones and pull offs in the riff. I also don’t know where to find the fingering for those power chords. Any help here?

So I was trying to learn Hit is and Quit it last night before bed from this video. I got down the basic riff, I’m having trouble understanding some of the happier ones and pull offs in the riff. I also don’t know where to find the fingering for those power chords. Any help here?

It looks like the power chords are all fingered the same way:
Index, ring and pinky fingers:
B5: X244XX
D5: X577XX
A5: 577XXX
C5: X355XX
G5: 355XXX

If you give me any time stamps for the video I can try to tab that specific part out for you

It looks like the power chords are all fingered the same way:
Index, ring and pinky fingers:
B5: X244XX
D5: X577XX
A5: 577XXX
C5: X355XX
G5: 355XXX

If you give me any time stamps for the video I can try to tab that specific part out for you

I’ll try to figure out this chords over the weekend.

Debated dropping this into the vmp.hip hip thread but ultimately thought it went better here

I was playing along with the new frisell album Valentine. Man that title track you can play almost any note and is sounds good. Makes me feel like I know what I’m doing.

Back