Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Speaking of “just looking”, I’ve been staring at the J Sikora Initial a lot lately. It would mean saving for a year or so, but ….

View attachment 203432
🤔
That's very cool looking, and not as expensive as I had guessed it would be. I mean it's still a fuck load of monies but it's not like... a FUCK LOAD of monies...

Someone buy this and tell me it sucks.

Oh lee actually I’ve been reading up about this fella a lot recently. You should consider it if you’re still thinking tube phono, it interests me a lot and is high up my list.. You could follow the sterophile advice and get the MM only first and pick up a SUT down the line if you fancied playing with MCs

That's very cool looking, and not as expensive as I had guessed it would be. I mean it's still a fuck load of monies but it's not like... a FUCK LOAD of monies...
And because I like audio gear to an unhealthy degree, what I really really dig about the J. Sikora line is if I wanted more at some point, you can upgrade the Initial to the Initial Max down the road. Adding a second… everything save the platter and motor controller. A second arm mount, a second motor, a second plinth. And you get this 112 lb beauty.

IMG_1981.jpeg

And because I like audio gear to an unhealthy degree, what I really really dig about the J. Sikora line is if I wanted more at some point, you can upgrade the Initial to the Initial Max down the road. Adding a second… everything save the platter and motor controller. A second arm mount, a second motor, a second plinth. And you get this 112 lb beauty.

View attachment 203466
I am fully behind this insanity. Do it.

Oh and uh, everyone wanted them to make a dust cover for the Degritter.
View attachment 203459
So um... they just released the new dust cover and it uh...
View attachment 203461
... Looks like a nu-buck straight jacket and costs $550 uh... GO GIT IT!
Digital Deck Covers will fabricate a custom nylon cover to your specs at a fraction of the cost. I use one to cover my VPI Traveler.

I don't have the space for a pre and a power. It's gotta be integrated, I'm out of room...
You likely have enough space under the JBL stands (if you still have those speakers) to consider a monoblock amp under each speaker. Of course, I’d advocate for a pair of Bryston 7B3’s, but a pair of Benchmark AHB2 amps would definitely fit. There are other Class D monoblocks that are similarly petite.

With the monoblocks, you could swap out the integrated for a full featured pre-amp (BR20 or BP19) or use the AVR as a preamp.

You likely have enough space under the JBL stands (if you still have those speakers) to consider a monoblock amp under each speaker. Of course, I’d advocate for a pair of Bryston 7B3’s, but a pair of Benchmark AHB2 amps would definitely fit. There are other Class D monoblocks that are similarly petite.

With the monoblocks, you could swap out the integrated for a full featured pre-amp (BR20 or BP19) or use the AVR as a preamp.
200w (12).gif

This will make you all laugh. Last time I flew to England I bought a teelings and yellow spot duty free and left them for my dad to bring over next time he took the ferry. He brought a cocktail making set and a bottle of cheap wine in a box and my whiskey is still in his garage somewhere. And he says he doesn’t need glasses…

Last edited:
I mean I still feel the need to point out despite the optics I've actually only upgraded my turntable once, my speakers once, and my amp never... I'm super fiscally responsmibibabble...
You do a lot of research on the board. We're mostly just sneakier about our upgrades so it seems like you're worse than us when it's probably the reverse. Although you did buy that fancy ultrasonic, so 🫣

I mean I still feel the need to point out despite the optics I've actually only upgraded my turntable once, my speakers once, and my amp never... I'm pretty much super fiscally responsmibibabble...
So we aren’t all getting Soundsmith Zephyrs for Christmas?

Back