Which RCM would you get?

Which RMC would you get?

• Total voters
Regardless of brand, all of the “wand” type record vacuums work about the same.

I bought the VPI because they’ve been making record cleaning machines for nearly 4 decades. There’s only one other company I’m aware of that have been at it longer- Keith Monks. Parts and service are easily available.

The Pro-Ject will do a comparable job to the VPI. Don’t believe the claim that the record will be dry in two revolutions. VPI says this too. It’s really 4-5 revolutions, but I’m probably a little heavy handed with the fluid.

Also, don’t get hung up on the reversible direction. It won’t make a difference at all during vacuuming. You can do the same thing with a machine that doesn’t reverse by changing the position of the brush while spreading the fluid. Start straight perpendicular until the entire playing surface is covered. Then tilt the brush towards you for a couple of revolutions. Then rotate the brush away from you- this is the same as reverse as far as I can figure.

I wouldn’t by an Okki Nokki. Distribution is really spotty. Sometimes they are available. Sometimes they aren’t. I wouldn’t want to count on them for parts or service.

Other than that, get the one you like. A record cleaning machine is a real game changer.
Thank you for the advice! I think the last point you made “A record cleaning machine is a real game changer” says a lot, coming from you! Like getting a record cleaning machine would be a massive upgrade from the Spin Clean!

When you say ‘4-5 revolutions‘, are you talking about 4-5 rotations? Like you make sure the VPI 16.5 will vacuum your record in 4-5 rotations? And I’m guessing this is the case for you as you like to use a lot of cleaning solution on your disc?

I think I would also put a lot of cleaning solution on my disc and I would also really let the brush work itself into the grooves by the way I move it! And yeah, I think I would do around 4 rotations anti clockwise and 4 anti-clockwise, just to make sure it’s dry! Better to be safe that way!

I’ll definitely avoid the Okki Nokki! Thanks again for telling me that!

Thank you for the advice! I think the last point you made “A record cleaning machine is a real game changer” says a lot, coming from you! Like getting a record cleaning machine would be a massive upgrade from the Spin Clean!

When you say ‘4-5 revolutions‘, are you talking about 4-5 rotations? Like you make sure the VPI 16.5 will vacuum your record in 4-5 rotations? And I’m guessing this is the case for you as you like to use a lot of cleaning solution on your disc?

I think I would also put a lot of cleaning solution on my disc and I would also really let the brush work itself into the grooves by the way I move it! And yeah, I think I would do around 4 rotations anti clockwise and 4 anti-clockwise, just to make sure it’s dry! Better to be safe that way!

I’ll definitely avoid the Okki Nokki! Thanks again for telling me that!

Those who have never used a record cleaning machine won’t understand this, but here it is. Vacuumed records are truly clean- deep cleaned to the bottom of the groove. Dry cleaners (that stupid carbon fiber brush) just removes surface dust. Wet cleaners without the vacuum (Discwasher, A/T, Spin Clean) do a better job, but without the vacuum, some crud still remains in the grooves. Vacuum is the magic bullet to really clean records. Truly clean records are as good as a system upgrade.

There is no hard and fast rule about drying. I tilt my head so I can see the grooves in the light. Usually the dead wax is dry first and the outer grooves are dry last. You can’t say “X rotations and it’s dry”. Just watch and don’t over vacuum.

Also, I see everyone apply fluid in a random fashion with the platter turned on. This makes no sense to me. I put a thick line of fluid from the edge to the label with the platter off. Then I place the brush in the fluid and start the platter. I keep the brush upright for a couple of revolutions, then I rotate the brush towards me and then away from me for a couple of revolutions each. Then vacuum.

Those who have never used a record cleaning machine won’t understand this, but here it is. Vacuumed records are truly clean- deep cleaned to the bottom of the groove. Dry cleaners (that stupid carbon fiber brush) just removes surface dust. Wet cleaners without the vacuum (Discwasher, A/T, Spin Clean) do a better job, but without the vacuum, some crud still remains in the grooves. Vacuum is the magic bullet to really clean records. Truly clean records are as good as a system upgrade.
Great to know that a record truly isn’t clean until it’s been vacuumed! I’ll remember that, and this only makes me want to purchase a record cleaning machine that has a built-in vacuum, like the Pro-Ject VC-S2! That last sentence you said about how ‘truly’ clean records are as good as a system upgrade really stuck with me! That is so true! I couldn’t agree more on that!
There is no hard and fast rule about drying. I tilt my head so I can see the grooves in the light. Usually the dead wax is dry first and the outer grooves are dry last. You can’t say “X rotations and it’s dry”. Just watch and don’t over vacuum.
This is great advice too! It’s good to know that there is no particular rule when it comes to drying! Is there a bad consequence for over vacuuming? I don’t see the harm in over vacuuming but if you say ‘don’t over vacuum’, I guess there is negative implications if you do so!
Also, I see everyone apply fluid in a random fashion with the platter turned on. This makes no sense to me. I put a thick line of fluid from the edge to the label with the platter off. Then I place the brush in the fluid and start the platter. I keep the brush upright for a couple of revolutions, then I rotate the brush towards me and then away from me for a couple of revolutions each. Then vacuum.
I like this! I think I would also do the same! I would apply a thick line of cleaning liquid from the edge of the vinyl to the label, then I would dip my brush in the liquid and turn the platter on! When you say you rotate the brush towards you, then away from you after a couple of rotations, does that mean you are just switching the brush on one side, dragging it towards you for two rotations, then you switch and use the brush on its other side and drag it away from you! Like you are just tilting the brush on different sides, depending on whether you are dragging the brush towards you, or away from you?

Overall, this is really good advice! I’ve learnt a lot just from this one post! I’m so happy and grateful that I have you when it comes to audio quality and cleaning @HiFi Guy! 🙏

What I really like about the Pro-ject VC-S2 ALU is that you do only one or two rotations when you turn the vacuum on, and that the machine has a button for both clockwise rotation and anti clockwise rotation! 👍
I've had my VC-S2 ALU for a few weeks now. I'll tell you right now that 1-2 rotations is only happening if you somehow master putting on the exact minimum amount of fluid on the record. And if you're doing that, you're probably not doing the best cleaning job. I also don't think that's exclusive to the Pro-ject, like HiFi said. But it's not like it takes a long time. A few rotations in both directions gets it done. We're talking about seconds here, not minutes. Sure, it might build up if you're cleaning like 20 records in a row, but most people only do a few at a time. It's not a big deal honestly.

Personally, I do like the the ability to run it in both directions. Logically, it's not needed, the vacuum will get all the fluid up going one direction. But I think about how I vacuum the carpet in both directions, and that logic makes sense. Certainly more of a "nice to have" than a need. Feels like it helps get things done a little faster, but it's probably more of a mental thing because I have something to do in halfway through, lol.

Is there a bad consequence for over vacuuming?
Generally static. The longer you keep running a dry record on a vacuum, the more you are generally building up static.

Other notes I'll give:
- I really like the metal arm tube and general construction. Wipes up spills easily, feels robust, looks nice.
- I also like that the machine isn't black, it's a little easier to keep it looking fresh without dust or dog hair. Not a functional thing, just a nice benefit.
- The platterless design was the single biggest sell point for me. Based on what I've read, the VPI likely has a slightly stronger vacuum, and in the US VPI certainly has a better service record if that ever comes up. But I just thought the platter design was so smart and that's what really sold me.
- If you have a lot of 45s or 10s, the ALU can be a little cumbersome. I'm using the plastic guards that came with my Squeaky Clean for 45s, and it's working nicely. The ALU also doesn't have a 45 large hole adapter. Not a big deal, I just eye ball it to get it centered and it's been getting the job done. But if you want to do 45s and 10s, you either need to spend semi big money on more arm tubes, or come up with some sort or solution to close off the tube for it create solid suction.
- On the fluid, I don't think it's quite as good as TTVJ fluid, but it's certainly not bad. Factor in that I don't have to worry about light exposure or really any storage concerns, and the extremely minimal trade off in deep clean is well worth the convenience in my mind. When it comes time to buy more, I think I'll be re-upping the Pro-ject fluid rather than going back to the TTVJ fluids.

For now, I'm extremely happy with the ALU. The only real test that's left vs the Pro-ject is the test of time. Those 16.5 units have years of proof of their ability to be a workhorse, even in a professional/commercial setting. Hopefully the Pro-ject will last for years to come, but we won't know that for quite awhile.

Have my eye on a Nitty Gritty 20th Edition to replace my spin clean eventually

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my VC-S2 ALU for a few weeks now. I'll tell you right now that 1-2 rotations is only happening if you somehow master putting on the exact minimum amount of fluid on the record. And if you're doing that, you're probably not doing the best cleaning job. I also don't think that's exclusive to the Pro-ject, like HiFi said. But it's not like it takes a long time. A few rotations in both directions gets it done. We're talking about seconds here, not minutes. Sure, it might build up if you're cleaning like 20 records in a row, but most people only do a few at a time. It's not a big deal honestly.

Personally, I do like the the ability to run it in both directions. Logically, it's not needed, the vacuum will get all the fluid up going one direction. But I think about how I vacuum the carpet in both directions, and that logic makes sense. Certainly more of a "nice to have" than a need. Feels like it helps get things done a little faster, but it's probably more of a mental thing because I have something to do in halfway through, lol.

Generally static. The longer you keep running a dry record on a vacuum, the more you are generally building up static.

Other notes I'll give:
- I really like the metal arm tube and general construction. Wipes up spills easily, feels robust, looks nice.
- I also like that the machine isn't black, it's a little easier to keep it looking fresh without dust or dog hair. Not a functional thing, just a nice benefit.
- The platterless design was the single biggest sell point for me. Based on what I've read, the VPI likely has a slightly stronger vacuum, and in the US VPI certainly has a better service record if that ever comes up. But I just thought the platter design was so smart and that's what really sold me.
- If you have a lot of 45s or 10s, the ALU can be a little cumbersome. I'm using the plastic guards that came with my Squeaky Clean for 45s, and it's working nicely. The ALU also doesn't have a 45 large hole adapter. Not a big deal, I just eye ball it to get it centered and it's been getting the job done. But if you want to do 45s and 10s, you either need to spend semi big money on more arm tubes, or come up with some sort or solution to close off the tube for it create solid suction.
- On the fluid, I don't think it's quite as good as TTVJ fluid, but it's certainly not bad. Factor in that I don't have to worry about light exposure or really any storage concerns, and the extremely minimal trade off in deep clean is well worth the convenience in my mind. When it comes time to buy more, I think I'll be re-upping the Pro-ject fluid rather than going back to the TTVJ fluids.

For now, I'm extremely happy with the ALU. The only real test that's left vs the Pro-ject is the test of time. Those 16.5 units have years of proof of their ability to be a workhorse, even in a professional/commercial setting. Hopefully the Pro-ject will last for years to come, but we won't know that for quite awhile.

Nice write up!

I mentioned this above, but I stumbled across some concentrate at a really nice price- Chisto- which means “clean” in Russian. It’s made in Ukraine.

One bottle makes a gallon. It normally sells for $50 but a dealer in California has it on sale for $25. Then he’s got a “buy one get one” special so 2 bottles for $25- to make 2 gallons. Free shipping too!

I made a batch last night. Chisto Easy Groove
is crystal clear, alcohol free and no perfumes. There’s no smell to it at all. I cleaned and listened to three albums last night- a brand new album, an album that I’ve owned since high school and an album I bought 4-5 years ago. It seems to do a really good job.

Here’s the listing on the US dealer’s site:

Here is the manufacturer's site:

I mentioned this above, but I stumbled across some concentrate at a really nice price- Chisto- which means “clean” in Russian. It’s made in Ukraine.

One bottle makes a gallon. It normally sells for $50 but a dealer in California has it on sale for $25. Then he’s got a “buy one get one” special so 2 bottles for $25- to make 2 gallons. Free shipping too!

I made a batch last night. Chisto Easy Groove
is crystal clear, alcohol free and no perfumes. There’s no smell to it at all. I cleaned and listened to three albums last night- a brand new album, an album that I’ve owned since high school and an album I bought 4-5 years ago. It seems to do a really good job.

Here’s the listing on the US dealer’s site:

Here is the manufacturer's site:

Thanks! I was waiting for your impressions, because Highend states it's in the US, but has some language quirks that made me a little suspicious.

How does it compare to TTVJ Vinyl Zyme? Or, if you've tried Audio Intelligent's No. 6 cleaner, does it perform comparably?

Thanks! I was waiting for your impressions, because Highend states it's in the US, but has some language quirks that made me a little suspicious.

How does it compare to TTVJ Vinyl Zyme? Or, if you've tried Audio Intelligent's No. 6 cleaner, does it perform comparably?

It seems as good as TTVJ and definitely better than AI #6. I really didn’t see the big deal about AI at all. One thing I have noticed is a total elimination of static electricity.

Highend is definitely in the US- Apple Valley CA. Super fast shipping too.

It seems as good as TTVJ and definitely better than AI #6. I really didn’t see the big deal about AI at all. One thing I have noticed is a total elimination of static electricity.

Highend is definitely in the US- Apple Valley CA. Super fast shipping too.
Where do you guys get your TTVJ from? Just that TTVJ website? Or are there other sellers?

And the best luck people have had at avoiding the scum that can build up in it appears to be pitch black storage spaces basically... yes?

And storing it in a cool dark place. If you are starting fresh though, you should really consider Chisto. You’ll have 2 gallons of fluid for $25 USD with the sale as opposed to 1 gallon for $50.

And storing it in a cool dark place. If you are starting fresh though, you should really consider Chisto. You’ll have 2 gallons of fluid for $25 USD with the sale as opposed to 1 gallon for $50.
It's enzyme based as well? I'm unfamiliar with that one, although I saw your post earlier.

Back