What's Spinning

Here’s one that makes no sense. I grabbed this via PIFSGIVING from @JohnnyCashFan. I already have the Grundman cut but I figure - it’s Purple Mother Effing Rain with bad ass cover art so why not? Plus it’s pressed at GZ. I mean a picture disc pressed at GZ… what could go wrong?! This thing sounds really damn good. Dead quiet vinyl. Very dynamic. Go figure. I’m done. Switching to 8 tracks. Peace. 655DA57E-27E0-4E96-909A-34AE74B1F401.jpeg

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Dave Digs Disney (Fontana, 1958 First UK Mono Pressing)

Yesterday would have been Brubeck's 101st birthday! Brubeck took his family on a trip to Disneyland and became inspired to release a full album of Disney tunes, so much so that he ran over to a Disney phone booth to call his producer. The irony is that all of the tunes of the album were already in the groups repertoire, but at the time playing Disney songs was seen to be below the skills of a jazz musician. Brubeck released this to huge success and a few years later we started to see Disney tunes in albums regularly (Miles Davis' 'Someday My Prince Will Come', John Coltrane's 'My Favorite Things', etc)
IMG_1653.JPG

Back