What's Spinning

The Kenny Clarke Francy Boland Big Band - At Her Majesty's Pleasure.... (Black Lion Records/Polydor, 1971 First Pressing)

Well this is a really cool release. The story goes that as the American's arrived in the UK to play at Ronnie Scotts club, they were apprehended at Heathrow airport and Johnny Griffin was taken to lock-up for the night (turns out he owed tax). Luckily Boland was able to pay his fines and after a successful residency at Ronnie Scott's they decided to make an album (with each track referring to a different prison, or jail-related title). The line-up is killer and includes Johnny Griffin, Sahib Shihab, Ronnie Scott, Kenny Clarke, etc. The previous owner has taped a press release/review in the gatefold as well, which is pretty cool.

IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG

Julia Holter - Loud City Song [347/347]
signed

15974410224655285101022169776762.jpg

Saved my favorite album of the last 10 years to wrap up the collection challenge. It is (almost singlehandedly) responsible for my current music tastes, and I hope to still enjoy this decades later. I'm glad this album came to me at the perfect time in my life, sometime in mid-2017, when I wasn't quite sure what my goals in life were, in addition to music interests. It is the first album I brought to a concert to get signed. Many personal memories associated with this special album, and I hope more will follow. ❤

Logging off this thread for a while now.

Andrew Hill - Smoke Stack

Efad0nRXYAIjaqV.jpg

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#284: TV On the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

#285: Tyler, The Creator - Flower Boy

IMG_20200813_070327.jpg

One of my favorite albums of the 2010's. It's incredible to see Tyler's growth as a producer, arranger and songwriter. This is my favorite project of his (although IGOR is a VERY strong competitor), and I believed him when he told Rick Rubin he still hasn't made his GREAT rap album.

Back