Weight vs Clamp

batkins

I have a Pro-Ject Debut turntable with the standard metal platter. I've been considering a weight or a clamp. Ideally, this would help correct some (minimal?) warps and maybe help counter some environmental vibrations due to having a crawl space. From my limited knowledge and internet searches, I've been thinking clamp. I was looking at the Record Doctor Record Clamp. Anyone have any info, good or bad, on this product? Or any info in general on using a clamp vs a weight with a Pro-Ject debut table?

I personally prefer a clamp as opposed to a weight as it doesn't add any more significant mass to the platter or stress on the motor but that's just me. I've been using this guy for a few years and it's a champ of a clamp. It performs some minor miracles on warps.

Last edited:
I have a Pro-Ject Debut turntable with the standard metal platter. I've been considering a weight or a clamp. Ideally, this would help correct some (minimal?) warps and maybe help counter some environmental vibrations due to having a crawl space. From my limited knowledge and internet searches, I've been thinking clamp. I was looking at the Record Doctor Record Clamp. Anyone have any info, good or bad, on this product? Or any info in general on using a clamp vs a weight with a Pro-Ject debut table?

I run pro-ject’s own clamp (imaginatively called Clamp-It) on a debut carbon. Nice looking and does the job well.

If a manufacturer makes a clamp for table as @Joe Mac ’s post suggests, use it. Otherwise michell is the way to go as @Yer Ol' Uncle D suggests.

Re: weight check your manufacturer’s recommendation in regards to them for the reason’s stayed above.

A clamp is better for repairing warps.

I do use both but for the coupling/vibration reduction, I don’t notice a discernible difference in the two. I bought a weight because my table (a u-turn) is not clamp ideal (in fact my manufacturer recommends you not use them) as it has a composite spindle.

Yeah as @Lee Newman suggests I’d stick with the manufacturers clamp. I don’t think that table should have a weight on it. The acrylic platter upgrade is a bit heavier than the platter you are running but not significantly. The bearing isn’t up to taking too much more weight than that. For example, when I got a much heavier 3rd party sub platter upgrade I also had to upgrade the bearing and the bearing housing.

I had a JA Michell clamp for my Pro-ject Debut, but sold it when I got my VPI which came with a screw-on clamp. As others have said, clamps do a better job than weights when it comes to flattening warps for playback. It’s the reason I’ve never Worried much about warped records from VMP.

I also have the Pro-Ject Clamp-It for my Debut Carbon. It's stupidly expensive but it does look really nice (even though it's a fingerprint magnet) and it seems to work well. When I was shopping around, some on the old forum told me they had been using Michells with their Debut Carbon but once or twice it popped up mid-rotation, which is terrifying.

I have the project debut carbon. I had the Mitchell clamp and still have the clamp-it. Just want to chime in that the manufacturer clamp is superior in this case. The Mitchell can pop off with a big warp. The felt washers make it too high to clamp the spindle.

I have the project debut carbon. I had the Mitchell clamp and still have the clamp-it. Just want to chime in that the manufacturer clamp is superior in this case. The Mitchell can pop off with a big warp. The felt washers make it too high to clamp the spindle.
You can make your own thinner felt washers. That’s what I did.

Thanks for all the info. Anyone have any experience with the Record Doctor clamp? That $100 price tag for the Pro-Ject is a bit much. The Record Doctor, to me, looks comparable and it's $30. Might just have to bite the bullet and give it a shot. It seems to get good reviews online.

You can't go wrong with either; but the benefit of the weight is my viborg had that tiny bubble to ensure your player is totally centered. so theres that...

Thanks for all the info. Anyone have any experience with the Record Doctor clamp? That $100 price tag for the Pro-Ject is a bit much. The Record Doctor, to me, looks comparable and it's $30. Might just have to bite the bullet and give it a shot. It seems to get good reviews online.
I’ve been using the Record Doctor clamp for a couple of months now and have enjoyed it, very light and easy to use. I’m using it on a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and have had no issues. I bought the clear one, so you can still see the label through it, really like the looks of it!

Back