VNYL - What is this

tonythegamer

What is this? Why have they been spamming me everywhere I go? Are they even any good, because their prices seem a bit crazy low to promise quality?
3 records for 39$?

Also looks like their selection is “trendy” and “hip” new artists that I’ve never really bothered to listen to, so if for some odd reason I joined, I don’t know if I would even like the selections

https://vnyl.org/

I wonder if they still do those awful staged unboxing videos where people lose their shit over a Taking Back Sunday record. Those always gave me a good laugh.

I'm going to start seeing those because I posted in this thread aren't I?

I see them on ads on Instagram all the time. They're so dumb lol

They are at least starting to get exclusives which is more than some clubs are doing. But largely you don't want to pay $39 dollars for three records you can get for cheaper elsewhere.

They are at least starting to get exclusives which is more than some clubs are doing. But largely you don't want to pay $39 dollars for three records you can get for cheaper elsewhere.
Yeah, I started to search around for other people reviewing it, and found a lot of people saying it's not good. One girl who did it received the Carpenter's Greatest Hits, which is literally like a dollar store record find. Also saw a lot of people saying that VNYL is truly awful at matching things that you would actually like, even when you flat out tell them what you want.

Yeah, I started to search around for other people reviewing it, and found a lot of people saying it's not good. One girl who did it received the Carpenter's Greatest Hits, which is literally like a dollar store record find. Also saw a lot of people saying that VNYL is truly awful at matching things that you would actually like, even when you flat out tell them what you want.

That and no name pop punk bands. Probably wouldn't ever subscribe to it unless they ever had a release from one of my favorite musicians that I couldn't get elsewhere.

They get a lot of Soul Step exclusives (pressed just for them) but they usually send them out too soon and spoil the announcement, Melvin (owner and sole person at Soul Step) likes them, he said they are easy to work with :(

its basically normies first record subscription.. you get some trendy records from bands they would usually like, with a fake theme of "selecting your trend" to make it seem personally tailored. and then playing them on their crosleys. and marketed to hell and back from nick alt following every single vinyl instagram to giving any even small influencer a free box to unbox for youtube. even ignoring their infamously bad start up (where they gave old dollar store records instead of the big albums they promised and lied about their kickstarter... claiming to be a kind of netflix for vinyl but then found that was illegal). they have been known to not have the best record selection and people getting the exact same record even when they choose a different #vibe

this video from someone who would CLEARLY be in their target demographic (loves artists like halsey, taylor swift, lana del rey, etc):

its basically normies first record subscription.. you get some trendy records from bands they would usually like, with a fake theme of "selecting your trend" to make it seem personally tailored. and then playing them on their crosleys. and marketed to hell and back from nick alt following every single vinyl instagram to giving any even small influencer a free box to unbox for youtube. even ignoring their infamously bad start up (where they gave old dollar store records instead of the big albums they promised and lied about their kickstarter... claiming to be a kind of netflix for vinyl but then found that was illegal). they have been known to not have the best record selection and people getting the exact same record even when they choose a different #vibe

this video from someone who would CLEARLY be in their target demographic (loves artists like halsey, taylor swift, lana del rey, etc):

Actually, they have changed things up recently.

You don't select a Vibe that's a trend anymore. Now you pick between 5 or so exclusive pressings of the month. You get the 1 exclusive plus 2 curated picks. And yes, one of their other curated picks can be an other one of their exclusive. If you don't like any of the exclusives you can still pick an all curated options.

Their picks are getting better too. It's no longer just trendy bands and overstock they bought cheap. There are some real gems. I have gotten Tancred from them, Soccer Mommy, 311, Jimmy Hendrix, Metalica, Dana Fuchs, American Football, The Ting Tings, Kacy Muskgraves, Lovelytheband.

They take about 3 to 5 weeks to ship your order, but that is because they curate each order and write hand written notes. I have never had any issues with them over the last 2 years the quality of their offerings has definitely went up.

If you leave notes on your account of what you like they tend to following them. For example, I have instructions to pick female vocalists from indie, alternative and rock groups as well as country. And they do a pretty good job of trying to accommodate that request.

Last month I picked the Sun June Exclusive. They curated Neon Gold NGX: Ten Years of Neon Gold and Lovelytheband to go with it.

My only word of caution is for the most part they stick to new artist or things that have come out in the last decade. Only every once in awhile they throw out a pick where you get classics like Jimmy Hendrix. And you know what Jimmy Hendrix record they are giving you.

So if you are in to create digging and older music VNYL is not for you. If you like current alternative and indie music they do a great job lately.

Back