Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

i MIGHT give sylvan esso a pass because its an ROTM from 2014.... i think 7 years is enough distance to make another exclusive.. maybe should have said "hey we did this as a ROTM before but decided to give an older exclusive a new release since sylvan esso will never be repressed from us"

i MIGHT give sylvan esso a pass because its an ROTM from 2014.... i think 7 years is enough distance to make another exclusive.. maybe should have said "hey we did this as a ROTM before but decided to give an older exclusive a new release since sylvan esso will never be repressed from us"
It is interesting that they did a whole new version/color, rather than a straight reissue, in this case. Wonder if the pressing/mastering is any different... I have a standard black from years ago that I don't recall being anything special, sound-wise.

It is interesting that they did a whole new version/color, rather than a straight reissue, in this case. Wonder if the pressing/mastering is any different... I have a standard black from years ago that I don't recall being anything special, sound-wise.
It looks like Sylvan Esso is doing a reissue campaign for the debut in a couple different colors; VMP is most likely just getting a color variant. Dunno if the new release is remastered, I've just seen a couple pressings around.

Last edited:
It is an odd choice, though as you say the new cover is also nice (and roughly approximates the look and feel of the original). Given that the original seems to be readily available, I honestly have no idea what the logic might be apart from designing a VMP exclusive that goes beyond the color of the vinyl.
I tweeted at VMP asking about it but I doubt I'll get a response since -- for better or for worse -- that account is now just a generic #brand account as opposed to Storf using it to occasionally drop some nuggets of useful info.

This Claudia Thompson record is really fantastic. I am slightly worried about it being pressed at Third Man though, I haven’t had great luck with them. I have some store credit though so I’ll take the chance.

it actually looks like Thompson herself might be on the new cover whereas the old one depicted some other - white - woman. it isn't exclusive to VMP - there's a CD coming out in December, and its Amazon.ca listing shows the new cover

You’re absolutely right. I thought that was her on the original cover and the new cover was just a different pic from the same session but yeah on closer inspection it is totally a different (white) woman.

Found these details on Modern Harmonic’s page. Keep in mind this is for the CD version so I dunno if we’re getting the liner notes and other stuff:

Sultry and sophisticated songbird jazz backed by guitar icon Barney Kessel! Includes culturally corrected cover art & photos featuring the real Claudia Thompson, 2 CD only bonus tracks, and new liner notes from Laina Dawes.

“Goodbye to Love is both a collection of re-envisioned Jazz standards, crafted with a delicate touch and more importantly, introduces this young ingenue and highlights Claudia Thompson’s soulful voice to the world. On ‘Gloomy Sunday,’ Thompson's rendition is accompanied by a plaintive, soft, Spanish-inflected guitar, courtesy of famed guitarist Barney Kessel, that accentuates her measured vocal performance, suggesting that she understands the importance of this song. She makes this version, first recorded by Billie Holiday, her own through this softness, replacing the serrated, wisened edges of Holiday’s delivery by embodying a quiet desperation to recapture the love of a lost one. Thompson is careful about her vocal inflections, adding a nuance that allows the listener to dream of being with her, wanting to know who she is and why she is so lonely. Her desire is palatable, yet there is something in her voice that suggests that this woman has lived a life full of emotional entanglements and disappointments.” – Laina Dawes

• Finally issued on CD and featuring photos of the artist!

• Exquisite new liner notes by Laina Dawes that unravel the mystery behind this obscure release.

• Backed by jazz pioneer Barney Kessel’s stellar playing, Claudia’s perfectly tuned and wildly dramatic voice sparkles.

The Claudia Thompson has been a great morning stream, I am holding to limiting my vinyl purchases for a bit but thanks for the heads up!

VMP's page says this is a gatefold release so I could see those new liner notes being included inside. So probably the only thing the CD version has over the vinyl release are two bonus tracks. Modern Harmonic specifically cites VMP as the place to go for the vinyl pressing so I'm guessing it is a true exclusive, quite the rarity these days!

VMP's page says this is a gatefold release so I could see those new liner notes being included inside. So probably the only thing the CD version has over the vinyl release are two bonus tracks. Modern Harmonic specifically cites VMP as the place to go for the vinyl pressing so I'm guessing it is a true exclusive, quite the rarity these days!
True exclusive? I mean, I guess with this cover and in this color, but the 2016 press by Modern Harmonic (which was cut by Kevin Gray so very likely uses the same plates as this one) was available until very recently. It has been on my want list for a while and was in stock at Modern Harmonic and Amazon as recently as this summer, but I kept passing it up in favor of other items.

True exclusive? I mean, I guess with this cover and in this color, but the 2016 press by Modern Harmonic (which was cut by Kevin Gray so very likely uses the same plates as this one) was available until very recently. It has been on my want list for a while and was in stock at Modern Harmonic and Amazon as recently as this summer, but I kept passing it up in favor of other items.
Yes, if everything else is out of print and there's a new reissue that only VMP has, I consider that a true exclusive. There's no mention of Colemine or Newbury or whatever having their own variants like there is with just about every other VMP release so right now it sounds like it's either the new VMP reissue or finding an out-of-print copy somewhere, even if that might still be fairly easy to do.

Even the Hot Chip LNT I got with GB has some nasty pops and crackle. Such a disappointing service.
It’s just fucking preposterous at this point, they probably shipped out Grizzly Bear knowing damn well it was defective like the past 3 records. Luckily I got this one for free after the Wu Tang fiasco but I’m still hounding them until I get a clean replacement. For anyone who got Grizzly Bear, I would just go ahead and demand a refund simply because you’re 110% entitled to it after this last 4 month stretch.

Been relatively hands off with my vinyl the past month cause of the addition of a Hi-Fi streamer to my system but in the past two days I’ve received two records: Le Ren - Leftovers (Secretly Society) and Grizzly Bear and I’ve had to request replacements on both.

to be (not really at all but might as well try to be) fair..

on adeles official store its 40 dollars... and the shipping is 10 bucks... so compared to buying it from adele directly its not TOO much (still vinyl inflation is annoying and how could an artist as big as adele not have a place to distribute in the US which would be the only excuse for that expensive of shipping)

still completely stupid

Back