Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I have not heard this album before but sounds interesting. It has Barney Kessel, Red Mitchell, Benny Carter, etc as part of the side-men line-up. Modern Harmonic is the label that released Gábor Szabó's - Dreams.

goodbye_to_love4809235_2200x.jpeg

I have not heard this album before but sounds interesting. It has Barney Kessel, Red Mitchell, Benny Carter, etc as part of the side-men line-up. Modern Harmonic is the label that released Gábor Szabó's - Dreams.

View attachment 114762

just ordered a copy for the same reasons. also a KG cut.

View attachment 114762

I don't know this one either but I've been pretty thrilled with any and everything I've got from Modern Harmonic thus far. Most of it is Sun Ra, naturally, but even the non-Ra stuff has been quite good. Especially Dreams. That shit is magical!

View attachment 114762
I wonder why they changed the cover art.

Here's the original, which was used as recently as a 2016 Modern Harmonic reissue:

goodbye.jpg

View attachment 114762
I scooped this up with credit. Sounds absolutely phenomenal

View attachment 114762
just ordered a copy for the same reasons. also a KG cut.
I don't know this one either but I've been pretty thrilled with any and everything I've got from Modern Harmonic thus far. Most of it is Sun Ra, naturally, but even the non-Ra stuff has been quite good. Especially Dreams. That shit is magical!
Claudia Thompson may be my once a year store drop purchase.
I scooped this up with credit. Sounds absolutely phenomenal
same here! streamed it and enjoyed it and then saw it's a KG cut so there goes some of my store credit!

Y'all were laying it on thick with the peer pressure. So I overrode my classroom blue tooth speaker and played the first track in Robotics class (which drew some WTFs from my students) , and then bought it with Credit.

We're now back to listening to student-approved tracks from Glass Animals, Drake, and Prem Dhillon.

Ok? They're a business so yeah, you'd think that'd be the case. It was honestly stranger that for so long they said they wouldn't ever do re-presses of sold out exclusives.
I mean, the old company had a hard line on these sorts of things. No repressing exclusives, no multiple albums from an artist on the same track, etc. They could have easily made more money by not adhering to these policies, but they were put in place to add extra value to the pressing. Now they've removed that policy. Not saying its a bad thing, it just is what it is. Further distancing themselves from a "club" and towards a regular retailer.

Help me out here, am I crazy, didn't they used to offer "bundles" where you'd SAVE a few bucks vs now where they just charge you the same price if you bought them individually? What's the advantage of buying records as a bundle? If one gets delayed doesn't that also hold up the other? Am I missing something?

Help me out here, am I crazy, didn't they used to offer "bundles" where you'd SAVE a few bucks vs now where they just charge you the same price if you bought them individually?
Oh yeah, all the time.

And to answer your second question, I don't believe there is one now. Just serves to lock you in for more money.

Last edited:
Maybe because those orange-yellow sunset clouds weren't a good match for the pink vinyl? 🤷‍♂️

The new cover art is very beautiful but so was the old one. I can’t fathom they’d change the cover though just to match the vinyl color.

Maybe if the original cover assets were lost, but VMP has done scans to recreate original covers before (complete with ring wear oops) and like I said, there was a reissue of this album 5 years ago with the original cover.

I’m not criticizing the it, I’m more curious. It’s a pretty drastic change, I would have figured something would have been said but transparency and VMP is like oil and water.

The new cover art is very beautiful but so was the old one. I can’t fathom they’d change the cover though just to match the vinyl color.

Maybe if the original cover assets were lost, but VMP has done scans to recreate original covers before (complete with ring wear oops) and like I said, there was a reissue of this album 5 years ago with the original cover.

I’m not criticizing the it, I’m more curious. It’s a pretty drastic change, I would have figured something would have been said but transparency and VMP is like oil and water.
Changing the cover art is strange, since it was issued a few years back by MH with the original artwork

It is an odd choice, though as you say the new cover is also nice (and roughly approximates the look and feel of the original). Given that the original seems to be readily available, I honestly have no idea what the logic might be apart from designing a VMP exclusive that goes beyond the color of the vinyl.

Back