Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I havent listened to it yet, but the liner notes on the Ambrose Akinmusire are fantastic. Archie Shepp clearly has a way with words (just imagine getting someone of that calibre to write your liner notes!!!) and the stories he weaves into it are fantastic. Top class.

On a side note, VMP are peddling the 'increase in quality leading to an increase in prices' claim yet they STILL use those god awful non-lined paper inners. The Ceasar Frazier had a load of paper debit over it.

I havent listened to it yet, but the liner notes on the Ambrose Akinmusire are fantastic. Archie Shepp clearly has a way with words (just imagine getting someone of that calibre to write your liner notes!!!) and the stories he weaves into it are fantastic. Top class.

On a side note, VMP are peddling the 'increase in quality leading to an increase in prices' claim yet they STILL use those god awful non-lined paper inners. The Ceasar Frazier had a load of paper debit over it.
I played it yesterday night followed by Rollins. Both sound fantastic and were flatter than a hamster that had been run over by a tank. Was quickly followed up by VMP responding to an unrelated query on something else and fixing the issue within an hour of me raising a call. When they want to they can be a pretty spot on company.

I played it yesterday night followed by Rollins. Both sound fantastic and were flatter than a hamster that had been run over by a tank. Was quickly followed up by VMP responding to an unrelated query on something else and fixing the issue within an hour of me raising a call. When they want to they can be a pretty spot on company.

1600629426583.gif

Attachments

• 1C27F709-AE04-45B8-9B3B-017AD404CFB4.gif
    1C27F709-AE04-45B8-9B3B-017AD404CFB4.gif
    625.4 KB · Views: 0
Thats great to hear, I have been looking forward to this package, its one of the best I have had in a while. I have just cleaned and resleeved them but do need to check for warps (hopefully there are none).

To add to my Cesar Frazier rant, I opened up Colter Wall - Western Swing & Waltzes And Other Punchy Songs and its a fantastic package. Really thick, textured gatefold which has a pattern to the inside/opening, a 4-side liner notes sheet, coloured record (why oh why go for coke bottle clear though?) and........non-lined sleeve. Its crazy that so much money would go into this package (its clearly more costly than a standard jacket) yet they would use the cheapest option for an inner.

Thats great to hear, I have been looking forward to this package, its one of the best I have had in a while. I have just cleaned and resleeved them but do need to check for warps (hopefully there are none).

To add to my Cesar Frazier rant, I opened up Colter Wall - Western Swing & Waltzes And Other Punchy Songs and its a fantastic package. Really thick, textured gatefold which has a pattern to the inside/opening, a 4-side liner notes sheet, coloured record (why oh why go for coke bottle clear though?) and........non-lined sleeve. Its crazy that so much money would go into this package (its clearly more costly than a standard jacket) yet they would use the cheapest option for an inner.
Yeah I was railing about this yesterday on here. With all this talk of added value for the money etc, if I see a single paper lined inner from here on out from VMP I will fucking go ham on them.

Yeah I was railing about this yesterday on here. With all this talk of added value for the money etc, if I see a single paper lined inner from here on out from VMP I will fucking go ham on them.
I don't blame you, it's completely understandable. While I like a good deal as much as the next person, I'm happy to pay a premium price for a premium product. If VMP's strategy is to present themselves in-line with Analogue Productions and the like (which they are now doing with their prices) then you better believe that I will expect AP level of quality.

I don't blame you, it's completely understandable. While I like a good deal as much as the next person, I'm happy to pay a premium price for a premium product. If VMP's strategy is to present themselves in-line with Analogue Productions and the like (which they are now doing with their prices) then you better believe that I will expect AP level of quality.
Yes and this is exactly why I've got BVSC, Spiritualized and Fiona FTBC replacements on the way. Between $40-50 CAD each and distortion and pops on BVSC and Spiritualized and scratches due to paper sleeves on a $46 FTBC? No fuck that. At these prices they better be close to perfect (like pretty much every single AP or Mofi I get) or GTFO.

Thanks for reminding me to check on my Skull Session copy, which looks to be a bit dished/warped as well. Hopefully I can get a replacement.

This seems to be a common theme with VMP's Skull Session.

img_7309-jpg.62843

img_7309-jpg.62843
Skull Session was the most warped record I have ever had from VMP (maybe the worst I have ever from anywhere). Massive dishwarp which meant even a record weight did nothing. I was able to get a replacement which was actually ok.

I agree paper inners suck, but I'm guessing VMP probably doesn't have this level of control/input on their variants of widely released new stuff. If the artist/label has directed the plant to use paper inners for the release, it's likely gonna be that way for all of them - standard black, indie exclusive, Newberry, VMP, etc etc. - so I can't fault them there... unless I'm totally wrong on my assumption.

Now, for their true exclusives and ROTMs - yeah, paper sleeves are unacceptable, and the price hikes damn well should pay for that extra $0.03 worth of plastic for a good inner.

img_7309-jpg.62843
Yep I bought mine from a member and it was also warped. It flattened perfectly though so it's fixable thankfully but once again, if VMP wants to actually be considered high end, these sort of trash pressings from places like GZ and PRP has to stop.

Yep I bought mine from a member and it was also warped. It flattened perfectly though so it's fixable thankfully but once again, if VMP wants to actually be considered high end, these sort of trash pressings from places like GZ and PRP has to stop.
unless somehow all of these companies are and pressing plants are getting even more expensive because of covid and the economy and inflation that it might actually cost so much money to make a pressing

and can they just leave saddle creek already?

Back