Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Haha yeah, I think I was the one who suggested that. TOTAL speculation but it still makes sense to me.
Or she’s finally going to release a new album this year and is gearing up to reissue her back catalog and told VMP to pull their remaining stock and give it to her! (Wishful thinking...)

This is unrelated to anything, really, but it is H I L A R I O U S to me that they're flogging Tennis, an album they probably have literally thousands of copies of, as a "sale" for $29. You can pick this album up pretty much brand new on Discogs for $15.

View attachment 29618
No wonder why it’s so cheap to get on Discogs brand new! 🤦‍♂️ Such a weak ass pick for an Essentials ROTM! 🙅‍♂️

Even though I didn’t like Tennis’ 2017 album. This upcoming album sounds promising

I do really enjoy Tennis’ two singles so far for their upcoming record however! “Runner” and “Need Your Love” are both absolutely stunning track!

“Runner” is shiny, dizzying, bright, sparkly synth, romantic track that has such a rich, charming, angelic sound! “Need Your Lovin” sounds like a psychedelic, timeless, old-school love-struck song! I love the twangy guitars in the background and those drums have such a kick to them! The caressing, sing-along, irresistibly chorus is so catchy and is bound to get stuck in your head!

I pre-ordered their album on the strength of those two singles! 🙉😊

I remember it being suggested it was pulled off the store so they didn't sell out before When the Pawn... so they could bundle them or summin'. Makes sense to me
Yeah I just looked back and remembered the other reason I thought that, Idler and Tidal went out of stock on the same day. The odds of that happening seems rather unlikely...

My 2019 VMP purchases with a quick 1-10 rating (cost, package, sound, and # of spins). Anything 6 and up, I'd be happy to repurchase. I keep trying to get better about this every year. And this is just like, my opinion, man!

RatingArtistAlbumCost
10​
Miles Davis / John ColtraneLive in Paris 1960
25​
10​
Al GreenCall Me
23​
10​
Van MorrisonVeedon Fleece
25​
10​
De La Soul3ft High and Rising
25​
10​
Mariah CareyDaydream
23​
10​
BB KingLucille
25​
10​
Art BlakeyThe Freedom Rider
25​
9​
Madlib & Freddie GibbsPinata
29​
9​
De La SoulDe La Soul is Dead
27​
9​
Nilufer YanyaMiss Universe
23​
9​
Handsome Boy Modeling SchoolSo…How's Your Girl
25​
9​
The Notorious BIGReady to Die
23​
9​
Dave BrubeckJazz Impression of Japan
25​
9​
QoTSASongs for the Deaf
25​
9​
Jorge BenAfrica Brasil
23​
9​
Aretha FranklinI Never Loved a Man
23​
9​
Ainslee WillsAll You Have is All You Need
23​
8​
Mort GarsonMother Earth's Plantasia
26​
8​
Juvenile400 Degreez
23​
8​
Blossom Dearies/t
25​
8​
GorillazDemon Days
23​
8​
CorneliusPoint
24.5​
8​
Run DMCRaising Hell
23​
8​
Angel OlsenAll Mirrors
25​
7​
Yusef LateefEastern Sounds
27​
7​
Broken Social SceneYou Forgot It in People
29​
7​
The Flaming LipsThe Soft Bulletin
25​
7​
Mobb DeepThe Infamous
31​
7​
Still WoozyWoozy Discography
22​
7​
MedBluMadlibBad Neighbor
23​
6​
Camp LoUptown Saturday Night
23​
6​
KnxwledgeHud Dreems
23​
6​
Flying LotusCosmogramma
23​
6​
OutkastSouthernplayalisticadillacmuzik
23​
6​
Method ManTical
23​
6​
Alice ColtraneJourney in Satchidananda
23​
6​
Danny BrownUknowwhatimsayin?
30​
5​
ToulouseExtended Plea
21​
5​
Muddy WatersFathers and Sons
23​
5​
Charles BradleyBlack Velvet
23​
5​
UGKRidin Dirty
23​
5​
Jim SullivanUFO
23​
5​
Jamila WoodsLegacy! Legacy!
23​
4​
Nat Turner RebellionLaugh to Keep from Crying
25​
4​
Robs/t
23​
4​
Joel RossKingmaker
23​
3​
TIKing
23​
Interested to see if your main issue with Joel Ross was the pressing/staticy noise? Or did you just not dig it?

Interested to see if your main issue with Joel Ross was the pressing/staticy noise? Or did you just not dig it?
Mmmmm the Rob Funky Way pressing sounded excellent and I really enjoyed the music on it, but it’s ranked low with Joel Ross! So I’m guessing Ponman didn’t like the music on it!

Not sure about Joel Ross though!?

Mmmmm the Rob Funky Way pressing sounded excellent and I really enjoyed the music on it, but it’s ranked low with Joel Ross! So I’m guessing Ponman didn’t like the music on it!

Not sure about Joel Ross though!?
The Kingmaker is a fan-fucking-tastic album imo. That package and press though... tsk tsk tsk.

Rob just wasn’t for me, which honestly I should have known bc I rarely enjoy funk. Definitely a FOMO swap that didn’t pan out.

The Kingmaker is a fan-fucking-tastic album imo. That package and press though... tsk tsk tsk.

Rob just wasn’t for me, which honestly I should have known bc I rarely enjoy funk. Definitely a FOMO swap that didn’t pan out.
Completely agree with you. Kingmaker was one of my favourites of the year and a killer debut, I constantly find myself humming certain tracks. The VMP pressing was a huge letdown. I thought the package itself was as to be expected (standard jacket etc) but the poor pressing and staticy transformer-ish noise just put me off. I also had a replacement but it took so long to get to me that once I opened it to find the same issue I just gave up on it.

I actually went to one of Ross' live shows (I believe @NathanRicaud went to the other date unless I'm getting mixed up?) and recorded bits of it on my iphone (so nothing fancy just using the voice recorder app) and I find myself listening to that more than the actual record which is a huge shame.

Completely agree with you. Kingmaker was one of my favourites of the year and a killer debut, I constantly find myself humming certain tracks. The VMP pressing was a huge letdown. I thought the package itself was as to be expected (standard jacket etc) but the poor pressing and staticy transformer-ish noise just put me off. I also had a replacement but it took so long to get to me that once I opened it to find the same issue I just gave up on it.

I actually went to one of Ross' live shows (I believe @NathanRicaud went to the other date unless I'm getting mixed up?) and recorded bits of it on my iphone (so nothing fancy just using the voice recorder app) and I find myself listening to that more than the actual record which is a huge shame.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the standard issue pressing of Kingmaker had the same problems that plagued the VMP exclusive as well.

Back