Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I've only been able to skim the last 10 pages or so - do we think they had a real drop planned for today and had to scrub it at the last minute, so they put up a few spare copies of Tidal instead?

It's times like these I bet the VMP staff really misses the old forum.

I've only been able to skim the last 10 pages or so - do we think they had a real drop planned for today and had to scrub it at the last minute, so they put up a few spare copies of Tidal instead?

Oh yeah, I bet there's definitely been a slap on the back followed by a hearty, "Hey, at least those forum bloodsuckers aren't pissing in our own backyard right now!"

nope. They’re still just dangling you all on the FOMO string!

I've been out of the forum loop for a minute so feel free to RSR me if it's somewhere in the last 20 pages, but: has anyone else theorized yet that VMP has been sitting on some more Fiona exclusives for a while, but her team asked VMP to not put them up for sale until Fiona announces a new album? It's well known that Fiona Apple takes years to complete an album, so maybe that's the reason the answer to whether or not the exclusives will exist has always been "soon, hopefully, maybe", because VMP and Fiona's label have no idea when the album will actually be done and ready for announcement?

They teased a “drop” and then gave us a re-press of Tidal at a significantly increased price. They actually sent out an email saying “get it now for 15% off” but even with that “discount” it’s still higher than any previous price.

To add to the chaos, they left a metadata description on their latest article about Fiona announcing 1500 copies of When The Pawn coming next week. Storf quickly shot this down on Reddit and said it was a mistake and then tried to be ambiguous by saying “IF we still do that...”

All in all, big tease all around, but at least a few more people can get Tidal now.

Didn't you sign back up for what you thought was Fiona today? If so, seems you fell for the FOMO too.

No, absolutely not, I don’t know where you invented that from but it’s fundamentally untrue. In fact I’ve told Nathan several times today that I may or may not get Fiona, depends on my mood, I’m a bit ambivalent.

I signed up again about 6 weeks ago because I wanted to swap first month and get QOTSA and Aretha.

I bet Fiona is going to do a version of the album through her own website and VMP gets some kind of side deal. Maybe a coloured exclusive or some sort of alt artwork. They're trying to sell this a bit too hard if it's it's something that limited.

Think about it. You don't really need to fomo this album so bad if you're the only ones doing it. Just like QOTSA they felt the insecurity that a lot of people wouldn't subscribe if they knew a wide press would be available.

I mean When The Pawn is going to be released. The link for the article on the album has linear notes as part of the URL.

Learning To Embrace The Crazy

Could be they had this essay from "forever ago," realized Pawn wasn't happening, and threw it up on the site since it was already paid for. Either way, what a hilarious debacle. Par for the course I guess.

I bet Fiona is going to do a version of the album through her own website and VMP gets some kind of side deal. Maybe a coloured exclusive or some sort of alt artwork. They're trying to sell this a bit too hard if it's it's something that limited.

Think about it. You don't really need to fomo this album so bad if you're the only ones doing it. Just like QOTSA they felt the insecurity that a lot of people wouldn't subscribe if they knew a wide press would be available.

Does she even have a website? The only thing I can find is a link to a defunct Facebook page. Maybe she's about to go live with one?

Does she even have a website? The only thing I can find is a link to a defunct Facebook page. Maybe she's about to go live with one?
or she will just sell it through her label and stores just like every other wide release ever!

Yeah I know nothing about Fiona and her website but I just remember listening to the vinyl emergency podcast where the guy said he has it on very good record that when it drops she's going to do it by herself.

Anyway I really don't know why vmp needs to hush hush this if it's theirs alone and also why they need to try so hard to push it, especially if it's only a very limited number. Therefore I'm sure it's not a very limited number and I have a hunch they're not the only vendor and/or likely won't be able to deliver theirs as quick as the other place might be able to.

Please no one be stupid enough to pay $36 (or $40) for this album. It’s just a repress of an ROTM that actually hung around for quite a while originally and as such is highway robbery. At the very least hang off until the end of the month and do a swapsie for it.

It's been selling for $40 and up on Discogs and Reddit.
Yes, $34 is expensive - BUT how many single LPs are now $30, $35, $40?

I page through the VMP exclusives page, and I see many examples of highly inflated prices.

It's been selling for $40 and up on Discogs and Reddit.
Yes, $34 is expensive - BUT how many single LPs are now $30, $35, $40?

I page through the VMP exclusives page, and I see many examples of highly inflated prices.

Wait until the bloody last week of the month and add a track to swap and it’s $23! I got it in the middle last year as a swap a full year after its original release as an AoTM when there was still stock! Don’t buy into FOMO culture!

Back