Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Repost from the Anthology thread, because the convo went in a different direction once the Quincy Jones box was announced. I think it's cool to look back on our time as VMP members, and try to give it its fair weight in our path of music discovery and the building of our collections. Here's my case:

I'm planning on moving abroad over the next 1-2 years, so I've been thinking about how to move my collection lately. Due to the pain in the ass that such a task poses, I'll probably take only a portion of it with me, store a good bunch at my parents' house, and sell those records that I don't really spin that much in order to pay some of the moving costs. This got me thinking: How many VMP records would survive if I were to cut my collection in half?

Here's what I got:
According to Discogs, I have 72 VMP records, between Store Exclusives and ROTM. Out of those, I think I'd only keep 31(I bet that number would go down once I'm forced to pick which to keep between them and some other non-VMP records in my collection). Here's a list of what I would keep on a first glance (I put a star on those that would be absolute musts on my shortened collection, which narrows the list down to 14 albums)

-BVSC - ST*
-Local Natives - Gorilla Manor
-The Roots - How I got Over
-Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds
-Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider
-Fania All Stars - Live at Yankee Stadium*
-Willie Colón - The Hustler*
-Al Green - Call Me*

-Experience Unlimited - Free Yourself
-Oneness of Juju - Space Jungle Luv
-Shina Williams & His African Percuccionists - African Dances*
-Colter Wall - Songs of the Plains*
-Eddie Gale - Ghetto Music*
-Novos Baianos - Acabou Chorare*

-Max Roach - Percussion Bitter Sweet
-Charlie Rouse - Bossa Nova Bacchanal
-Darrell Banks - Here To Stay*
-DOOM - Born Like This
-Little Milton - Waiting for Little Milton
-Noname - Telefone*
-Kelela - Take Me Apart
-Nototiour BIG - Ready To Die
-Moses Sumney - Aromanticism
-Miles Davis - Sorcerer*
-Johnny Griffin - A Blowing Session
-Fugees - The Score
-Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
-John Lee Hooker - It Serve You Right to Suffer*
-NxWorries - Yes Lawd!*

-Nina Simone - Sings the Blues
-Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition*

Anyway, I just thought this was an interesting exercise, as it helps me see how many records I purchased out of FOMO, or with just little interest in the actual music. I encourage others to do the same. I would love to see how many VMP records would make the cut for you!

Repost from the Anthology thread, because the convo went in a different direction once the Quincy Jones box was announced. I think it's cool to look back on our time as VMP members, and try to give it its fair weight in our path of music discovery and the building of our collections. Here's my case:

I'm planning on moving abroad over the next 1-2 years, so I've been thinking about how to move my collection lately. Due to the pain in the ass that such a task poses, I'll probably take only a portion of it with me, store a good bunch at my parents' house, and sell those records that I don't really spin that much in order to pay some of the moving costs. This got me thinking: How many VMP records would survive if I were to cut my collection in half?

Here's what I got:
According to Discogs, I have 72 VMP records, between Store Exclusives and ROTM. Out of those, I think I'd only keep 31(I bet that number would go down once I'm forced to pick which to keep between them and some other non-VMP records in my collection). Here's a list of what I would keep on a first glance (I put a star on those that would be absolute musts on my shortened collection, which narrows the list down to 14 albums)

-BVSC - ST*
-Al Green - Call Me*

-DOOM - Born Like This
-Noname - Telefone*
-Kelela - Take Me Apart
-Miles Davis - Sorcerer*
-Fugees - The Score
-NxWorries - Yes Lawd!*

Anyway, I just thought this was an interesting exercise, as it helps me see how many records I purchased out of FOMO, or with just little interest in the actual music. I encourage others to do the same. I would love to see how many VMP records would make the cut for you!
Your exclusion of Biggie and DOOM disappoints to no end. Like sure Born Like This isn't his best, but it's a keeper for Dilla's beats on Gazillion Ear alone.

And the Score? Like right there you have two of the top 50 hip hop albums of all time in your discard pile...
I mean, all 3 records made my 31/72 list, so I would definitely keep them in most scenarios. Its just that those in bold type would be at the top of my priorities if I wasn't able to keep all of the records I wanted. I like all of them quite a bit, but there are some other records I'm more often in the mood of playing.

Here's what I got:

-BVSC - ST*
-Al Green - Call Me*

-DOOM - Born Like This
-Noname - Telefone*
-Kelela - Take Me Apart
-Miles Davis - Sorcerer*
-Fugees - The Score
-NxWorries - Yes Lawd!*

Did my wife put you up to this? It seems like some secret ploy to make me consider reducing my vinyl collection. Like how she recently tried to convince me to sell my VMP FutureSex/LoveSounds just because I haven't played it in 12 months.

I mean, all 3 records made my 31/72 list, so I would definitely keep them in most scenarios. Its just that those in bold type would be at the top of my priorities if I wasn't able to keep all of the records I wanted. I like all of them quite a bit, but there are some other records I'm more often in the mood of playing.
Well I got Ready to Die and The Score - Ready to Die got one spin then eventually sold. The score has been spun possibly 3 times and not in last 2 yrs.
So I get ya.

Did my wife put you up to this? It seems like some secret ploy to make me consider reducing my vinyl collection. Like how she recently tried to convince me to sell my VMP FutureSex/LoveSounds just because I haven't played it in 12 months.
You wouldn’t be short of takers - Apart from Madlib Flight to Brazil that gets most unsolicited offers via Discogs !

You wouldn’t be short of takers - Apart from Madlib Flight to Brazil that gets most unsolicited offers via Discogs !

I just looked up a bunch of them on 'Cogs and am now withdrawing my joke and considering selling a bunch of titles.
I could sell FutureSex/LoveSounds for $250? And NoName for $200? And DeLaSoul is Dead for $200? And why the hell is the standard press of Beyoncé worth so much? SMH.

Back