Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Not for sale anywhere here apart from the Adele store at £30. VMP works out at £33.60 shipped, so at the moment VMP would likely still be the cheapest option. Not that I’m going to pre order it.

Edit- and wouldn’t even get half a tank of ‘gas’ for that. England is expensive.

Not for sale anywhere here apart from the Adele store at £30. VMP works out at £33.60 shipped, so at the moment VMP would likely still be the cheapest option. Not that I’m going to pre order it.

Edit- and wouldn’t even get half a tank of ‘gas’ for that. England is expensive.
HMV UK have a clear vinyl version up for £35...

I had an email from Sound Of Vinyl this morning with it. Still expensive at £35.99 plus whatever postage would be.

I had an email from Sound Of Vinyl this morning with it. Still expensive at £35.99 plus whatever postage would be.

The black that VMP are selling is £29.99 though plus this is going to be in every store in existence, there’s no doubt even Tesco will have it on vinyl.

The black that VMP are selling is £29.99 though plus this is going to be in every store in existence, there’s no doubt even Tesco will have it on vinyl.

It's a mental pricing strategy, I'm sure they will press millions of copies & in 5 years time it will be widely available for £20 at the local Tesco. Adele will be a bit of an outlier though, one of those artists where fans will buy the vinyl when they don't own a record deck. In the lead up to Christmas it will sell at a premium.

From a VMP point of view though, the pricing doesn't seem that wild, either £30 + postage in the UK, or £33 from VMP. I wouldn't be surprised if the record company is charging top dollar & VMP instead of cutting their margin are just pricing based on what they pay.

I remember chatting to a record store owner a few years back who was complaining about record store day margins shrinking, but he also called out the price of the Beatles red & blue reissues. He said it's just not saleable with any real margin applied.

It's a mental pricing strategy, I'm sure they will press millions of copies & in 5 years time it will be widely available for £20 at the local Tesco. Adele will be a bit of an outlier though, one of those artists where fans will buy the vinyl when they don't own a record deck. In the lead up to Christmas it will sell at a premium.

From a VMP point of view though, the pricing doesn't seem that wild, either £30 + postage in the UK, or £33 from VMP. I wouldn't be surprised if the record company is charging top dollar & VMP instead of cutting their margin are just pricing based on what they pay.

I remember chatting to a record store owner a few years back who was complaining about record store day margins shrinking, but he also called out the price of the Beatles red & blue reissues. He said it's just not saleable with any real margin applied.

I dunno. I can’t agree with you here. The nearest shop to me here has it listed for €30. I can walk down there and pick it up. And they’re an expensive store, probably the closest to an old chain of record stores that we have. If they’re at €30 my proper local will be less. If it’s being listed at €30 by an expensive store here that’s already less than £30 and you’ve a lower cost of living and a lower rate of VAT. I’d wager that you’re going to be able to walk into Tesco or HMV and buy the black for £25 on release. It will be less again on Amazon. It will also be pressed in such volumes that if you’re not an Adele super fan you’ll be able to pick it up in a year for £20. I just can’t see any justification for what they’re charging.

I dunno. I can’t agree with you here. The nearest shop to me here has it listed for €30. I can walk down there and pick it up. And they’re an expensive store, probably the closest to an old chain of record stores that we have. If they’re at €30 my proper local will be less. If it’s being listed at €30 by an expensive store here that’s already less than £30 and you’ve a lower cost of living and a lower rate of VAT. I’d wager that you’re going to be able to walk into Tesco or HMV and buy the black for £25 on release. It will be less again on Amazon. It will also be pressed in such volumes that if you’re not an Adele super fan you’ll be able to pick it up in a year for £20. I just can’t see any justification for what they’re charging.

I get what your saying, I do see it being £20 everywhere before you know it, but retailers like Tesco & Amazon will sell stuff with very low margins & still make a massive profit through scale. It's Sony, how much did they charge for Alicia Keys, I think that was around $50. I suspect Sony, or the Sony distributors are charging more and that's seeing a bump in price. Hopefully nobody buys any & the price of vinyl goes down.

It's a bit weird that there are very few UK retailers showing this for pre-order & it's a UK artist.

I get what your saying, I do see it being £20 everywhere before you know it, but retailers like Tesco & Amazon will sell stuff with very low margins & still make a massive profit through scale. It's Sony, how much did they charge for Alicia Keys, I think that was around $50. I suspect Sony, or the Sony distributors are charging more and that's seeing a bump in price. Hopefully nobody buys any & the price of vinyl goes down.

It's a bit weird that there are very few UK retailers showing this for pre-order & it's a UK artist.

Yeah there is just the one place here showing it for pre order at €30. But then all our stores bar them are indies so the site just gets updated when they have time between customers lol.

I think you’ll see more as the day goes on given it’s still early enough here but I think even if you avoid Tesco/Amazon and go to your local you’re getting this record below £30. Also bear in mind that VMP are charging that in a VAT free environment which none of the prices we’ve been mentioning here that are cheaper have the benefit of.

Yeah there is just the one place here showing it for pre order at €30. But then all our stores bar them are indies so the site just gets updated when they have time between customers lol.

I think you’ll see more as the day goes on given it’s still early enough here but I think even if you avoid Tesco/Amazon and go to your local you’re getting this record below £30. Also bear in mind that VMP are charging that in a VAT free environment which none of the prices we’ve been mentioning here that are cheaper have the benefit of.

That's true. It was a no brainer ordering from VMP at the beginning of the year, but not so much now.

I've been toying with the Marvin Gaye release all week, I wish that one was VAT free. (These records are definitely becoming too expensive).

That's true. It was a no brainer ordering from VMP at the beginning of the year, but not so much now.

I've been toying with the Marvin Gaye release all week, I wish that one was VAT free. (These records are definitely becoming too expensive).

Yeah they’re totally becoming too expensive. The box set today and the Bowie one next month are going to wipe me out completely. I’m kinda glad I got into this game almost a decade back when some prices were vaguely sane, I’d shudder to think how much more it would cost to build my collection if I was starting today!

Adele would never be a no brainer here, I’ve never understood the appeal, but I hope whomever is excited enjoys it!

I imagine they will begin to show up today and over the weekend.

Amazon now has it listed for £29.99.
Rough Trade has the standard at £29.99 and the clear at £35.99.
Resident Records has the standard at £29.99 and the clear at £35.99
Banquet is the cheapest I have seen, with £26.99 for the standard and £33.30 for the clear.

Of course, theres postage to be added to Rough Trade, Resident and Banquet unless you are picking it up in-store, which adds a bit.

As an FYI, im not actually looking to get a copy, I was just staggered by the fact that £30+ is now becoming the norm for a new release.

I imagine they will begin to show up today and over the weekend.

Amazon now has it listed for £29.99.
Rough Trade has the standard at £29.99 and the clear at £35.99.
Resident Records has the standard at £29.99 and the clear at £35.99
Banquet is the cheapest I have seen, with £26.99 for the standard and £33.30 for the clear.

Of course, theres postage to be added to Rough Trade, Resident and Banquet unless you are picking it up in-store, which adds a bit.

As an FYI, im not actually looking to get a copy, I was just staggered by the fact that £30+ is now becoming the norm for a new release.

Yeah a double would historically have been about €27 here (so I’m guessing about £25 over there).

I’m not so surprised to be honest with the increasing costs of all the raw materials of record production, increased haulage and freight costs and the fact that demand is far outstripping supply right now.

Hopefully things will begin to come back again as the world recovers over the next few years.

Yeah a double would historically have been about €27 here (so I’m guessing about £25 over there).

I’m not so surprised to be honest with the increasing costs of all the raw materials of record production, increased haulage and freight costs and the fact that demand is far outstripping supply right now.

Hopefully things will begin to come back again as the world recovers over the next few years.
My worry is that distributors and labels will say “people are buying double LPs for $50 now. Why would we go back to charging less?”

VMP is not going to lower their membership costs at this point, for example. Local stores are taking less margins to try to stay competitive with bigger stores. I know Blue Note raised their prices slightly but some smaller places aren’t passing that onto customers so they just take the hit. All that combined with bad QC and everybody returning records is a bit worrisome for the state of vinyl in a few years.

My worry is that distributors and labels will say “people are buying double LPs for $50 now. Why would we go back to charging less?”

VMP is not going to lower their membership costs at this point, for example. Local stores are taking less margins to try to stay competitive with bigger stores. I know Blue Note raised their prices slightly but some smaller places aren’t passing that onto customers so they just take the hit. All that combined with bad QC and everybody returning records is a bit worrisome for the state of vinyl in a few years.

Yeah totally. I’m defending £25/€27/$30 upto £27/€30/$35! $50 outside of audiophile is fucking nuts!

Insane. At least a lot of the $45+ VMP 2LPs don’t seem to sell out. But $50 for a regular ass GZ pressed album is crazy.

Yeah XL aren’t known for quality pressings, everyone else is doing it cheaper and it’s bloody Adele, there will be millions of them. I do sometimes see everyone on here panicking to get an online preorder in here and unless it’s something rare think “chill it, it will be in your local for less in a week or so and you won’t have to pay shipping”

Back