Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Is there no local record store that's halfway decent around you? I find that locating a good one that has store pickup or halfway decent shipping options saves me a ton of money vs buying VMP, and I get the records a lot sooner. I understand that sometimes VMP IS the cheaper option in areas like Australia and parts of Europe, but hunting down a good record store pays off and you're supporting a local business.
No local record stores could swing by and pick up a copy? I know for many that’s not an option but if it is you’d eliminate the shipping cost all together.
There is, about a 45m drive away. When I'm not getting a VMP drop I'm getting it from there, and did so recently with a couple of Ariana records I wanted. Just noting that the VMP price is still coming in at under or around that price, so it's not always a case of overpaying for it. Sometimes it's just convenient and cheaper to nab it, rather than arrange a drive up there solely for that (not really any other reason to go there in current times). It is part of the benefit of the subscription though – free shipping that is – and with the prices being what they are now I'm not loathe to make use of it.

That said, RSD's first drop has an ungodly amount I'm interested in and they served me well last year, so I'll be back this one.

Is there no local record store that's halfway decent around you? I find that locating a good one that has store pickup or halfway decent shipping options saves me a ton of money vs buying VMP, and I get the records a lot sooner. I understand that sometimes VMP IS the cheaper option in areas like Australia and parts of Europe, but hunting down a good record store pays off and you're supporting a local business.
I know my two locals have this one on black for $35 and $40 respectively. So VMP is only about 8 dollars more for a "limited" version. So if I was dying for it I'd probably still go with VMP on this one. But with the original limited versions being 100-500 copies I doubt the VMP one will go up in value a whole heck of a lot... This release had a really high sticker price even on black... At least in Canada it did...

Last edited:
There is, about a 45m drive away. When I'm not getting a VMP drop I'm getting it from there, and did so recently with a couple of Ariana records I wanted. Just noting that the VMP price is still coming in at under or around that price, so it's not always a case of overpaying for it. Sometimes it's just convenient and cheaper to nab it, rather than arrange a drive up there solely for that (not really any other reason to go there in current times). It is part of the benefit of the subscription though – free shipping that is – and with the prices being what they are now I'm not loathe to make use of it.

That said, RSD's first drop has an ungodly amount I'm interested in and they served me well last year, so I'll be back this one.
Until recently I have been in the same position. My 'local' was a couple of towns away (funnily enough it was Banquet's physical shop) so usually online was the only other option, especially during lockdown.

I now have one at the end of my street and they are a cool bunch, even putting releases to the side for me for when I get there. With that being said, VMP is still usually cheaper for a lot of releases for me even if I was to pop down to the shop. Obviously I have to factor in the wait etc, but if its a release that im happy to wait for its always hard for me to not see VMP as the best option.

Until recently I have been in the same position. My 'local' was a couple of towns away (funnily enough it was Banquet's physical shop) so usually online was the only other option, especially during lockdown.

I now have one at the end of my street and they are a cool bunch, even putting releases to the side for me for when I get there. With that being said, VMP is still usually cheaper for a lot of releases for me even if I was to pop down to the shop. Obviously I have to factor in the wait etc, but if its a release that im happy to wait for its always hard for me to not see VMP as the best option.
That’s 28 quid though? For a single LP? Even with uk inflation taken into account that’s a bit rich for my taste.

I know my two locals have this one on black for $35 and $40 respectively. So VMP is only about 8 dollars more for a "limited" version. So if I was dying for it I'd probably still go with VMP on this one. But with the original limited versions bring 100-500 copies I doubt the VMP one will go up in value a whole heck of a lot... This release had a really high sticker price even on black... At least in Canada it did...
You also have to factor in likely possibly that there will be a defect with your VMP pressing and by the time it’s actually shipped they will be sold out so you would end up with a “free” defective copy plus $40 in store credit in which to by more over priced LPs with defects. Sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

I'm with you and jealous of your proximity to the new one lol. I certainly like the one nearest me and check their online store first when I'm looking for a record in general, but I can't suggest it's the case I'm driving into the city just to spend thirty minutes in the record store looking for something to buy. Which is what it would be at the moment since I'm not going anywhere to eat or watch a film, and having lived in that city a few times it's not exactly one I go to for the joy of walking around lol.

I think it's a little more nuanced than going with VMP or giving local businesses the finger, which is the vibe I sometimes catch. VMP are impulse buys I've often not considered or come across before. They pop up and it's like "huh, sure, let's pop that onto this month's delivery". I give them a skip around on Spotify to see if it's something I feel would be nice, but on the whole it's a little additional surprise tacked onto that which I've ordered as part of the sub. Sometimes that's a larger name like Madlib (for whom I only have Piñata atm), others it's people like Joshua Ray Walker or Dua Saleh.

For almost everything else outside of that random ~1-2 a month purchase and the swaps/monthly picks it's a smaller record store as and where it's available.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm lucky to have found a record store about a 15 minute drive away that stocks a lot of good shit with a decent shopify-powered storefront that allows for curbside pickup. Cuts down on the VMP overspending and I get records a lot sooner. Still waiting on my last silly VMP purchase (Promises) which arrived in-store at my local well before the VMP ship date (which is still TBD). For more rare stuff I find that rarewaves has a decent selection and their shipping to Canada is pretty cheap.

I find now that US stores are insane for shipping and I tend to just stay away and wait to see if my local will get it in, unless it's something like RTJ 2 which I spent way too much money on yesterday from TTL because I know I'll never see it around me probably ever.

Only problem with my local is that sometimes I have to filter through a lot of their more interesting new releases, as they tend to stock a lot of Wax Time/Jazz Wax stuff, but also they'll occasionally get some really amazing pressings I have to jump on right away.

Same, but in this instance it works out around the same as online here. Checked three stores (Banquet Records, Vinilo, Rough Trade) and they're: £28.99, £29 and £29.99. So with shipping it would put it easily over £30. VMP conversion puts it at around £28.50.

Yeah, I ordered a copy. I had it on pre-order originally from Deep Discount but they cancelled on release & I've never seen it at a reasonable price. It works out the same as the black version, & with VMP I know they will sort out a replacement if the pressing is bad.

It is expensive for a single lp, guess we are paying for BG to master some hip hop :)

That’s 28 quid though? For a single LP? Even with uk inflation taken into account that’s a bit rich for my taste.
Oh I completely agree, this isn't a record that I am getting anyway.

I'm with you and jealous of your proximity to the new one lol. I certainly like the one nearest me and check their online store first when I'm looking for a record in general, but I can't suggest it's the case I'm driving into the city just to spend thirty minutes in the record store looking for something to buy. Which is what it would be at the moment since I'm not going anywhere to eat or watch a film, and having lived in that city a few times it's not exactly one I go to for the joy of walking around lol.

I think it's a little more nuanced than going with VMP or giving local businesses the finger, which is the vibe I sometimes catch. VMP are impulse buys I've often not considered or come across before. They pop up and it's like "huh, sure, let's pop that onto this month's delivery". I give them a skip around on Spotify to see if it's something I feel would be nice, but on the whole it's a little additional surprise tacked onto that which I've ordered as part of the sub. Sometimes that's a larger name like Madlib (for whom I only have Piñata atm), others it's people like Joshua Ray Walker or Dua Saleh.

For almost everything else outside of that random ~1-2 a month purchase and the swaps/monthly picks it's a smaller record store as and where it's available.
Yeah I used to use Banquet only if I was going to Kingston anyway, and even then it would never be for a limited release as I never knew when I would be going. It's more of an "oh I've been meaning to get this" purchase.

I do find that the UK tends to be pricier than the US on average when it comes to records or at least the new releases that I tend to buy are. In fact, a lot of the time I notice that the $ sign is just swapped out for the £. Blue Notes store is a prime example where it costs $35 (£25) in the US or £33 in the UK ($46). This is the same for my local as well, I can almost always find the record cheaper online in the US (but then of course the international postage takes it well over).

Yeah I used to use Banquet only if I was going to Kingston anyway, and even then it would never be for a limited release as I never knew when I would be going. It's more of an "oh I've been meaning to get this" purchase.

I do find that the UK tends to be pricier than the US on average when it comes to records or at least the new releases that I tend to buy are. In fact, a lot of the time I notice that the $ sign is just swapped out for the £. Blue Notes store is a prime example where it costs $35 (£25) in the US or £33 in the UK ($46). This is the same for my local as well, I can almost always find the record cheaper online in the US (but then of course the international postage takes it well over).

A lot of America doesn’t have sales tax. And even the states that do it isn’t close to European VAT levels and is added in basket rather than on the list.

What I don't understand its how the prices of US records have gone up in the UK over the past year, when the exchange rate has gone in the UK's favour.

I bought Nilson Schmilson one pre-order for £60 in September, and the same stockists are now selling it for £75

How can they charge £50 for a $25 record:

Back