Vinyl Me Please Classics

Could be Roberta Flack (though the clues don't fit exactly per se) or Lena Horne sounds like. But depends on which Freddie King album it is.
Could also be someone completely different than Hathaway or King Curtis was "important" to.

Either this Freddie King - My Feeling For The Blues

Or this:

I'm really only interested in what the 1971 soul/jazz vocalist is.

If the 1969 Blues albums is Freddie King is a Blues Master, James Booker played on that as well. Do we know any albums he arranged though?

A bit of a long shot, but what about Esther Phillips - From a Whisper to a Scream ? I can't find Curtis in the credits for that one, but he's got arranging credits for other music with her around that time.

Donny Hathaway arranged My feeling For the Blues and Lena Horne's Natures Baby.
King Curtis produced/arranged Freddie King is a Blues Master & on My Feeling for the Blues. He also was on Quiet Fire by Roberta Flack — but I don't think that Roberta Flack album is really what I would call a "Jazz/Soul Vocalist" .

Donny Hathaway arranged My feeling For the Blues and Lena Horne's Natures Baby.
King Curtis produced/arranged Freddie King is a Blues Master & on My Feeling for the Blues. He also was on Quiet Fire by Roberta Flack — but I don't think that Roberta Flack album is really what I would call a "Jazz/Soul Vocalist" .
I don’t think it’s a stretch to label the album jazz/soul vocalist. There’s jazz undertones and a shit ton of jazz players played on it and Roberta Flack is firmly a jazz/soul vocalist.

They did also label Dorothy Ashby as soul jazz and that’s a bit of a stretch for the Rubiyat album too.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to label the album jazz/soul vocalist. There’s jazz undertones and a shit ton of jazz players played on it and Roberta Flack is firmly a jazz/soul vocalist.

They did also label Dorothy Ashby as soul jazz and that’s a bit of a stretch for the Rubiyat album too.

True. I think it's a bit of a stretch compared to Lena Horne anyhow. It could certainly be either but for the sake of guessing I'm leaning Lena.

aretha at fillmore would be killer -- combine it with king curtis to make the concert experience complete

It's in mono not stereo like the Morgan, plus it's recorded about 10 years before, so hard to compared SQ-wise. It's also more bebop era jazz whereas the Morgan is straight mid-60s hard bop. Definitely a wonderful record with an all-star lineup though but if you expect it to sound like Take Twelve it's not gonna be quite the same.
Mine doesn't say it's mono anywhere. But when I flip the mono switch on the preamp... sure enough. Just curious how you knew. This was lost on me.

Mine doesn't say it's mono anywhere. But when I flip the mono switch on the preamp... sure enough. Just curious how you knew. This was lost on me.

Because there weren't any original stereo tapes, which is typical of mid-50s sessions, the stereo version were all electronically rechanneled artificial stereo. But also it's obvious to me while listening to it that it was in Mono.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the album yet but I think the liner notes booklet by Ashawnta Jackson is one of the best so far. She really dug deep and it's refreshing to see references made to the source material (I have read all but 1 of the books she quote and certainly recommend them, they are great).

I'm giddy with excitement at the idea of playing the album, if it's as good of a pressing as the Classics tend to be this is going to be a hell of a good release.

I don't disagree but Wikipedia lists her as soul, gospel, and jazz. So it would be some good misdirection.

Considering the last two Aretha ROTMS he just called her “soul” it would be a huge huge stretch IMO if it’s Aretha. The in print Speakers Corner is great anyway, that makes it even less likely. Not like Donny Hathaway either where they’ll put a mono mix out of their pocket to differentiate

Considering the last two Aretha ROTMS he just called her “soul” it would be a huge huge stretch IMO if it’s Aretha. The in print Speakers Corner is great anyway, that makes it even less likely. Not like Donny Hathaway either where they’ll put a mono mix out of their pocket to differentiate
I have the Speakers Corner and it's great. Just saying it's a possible selection because nothing else seems to quite fit.

If the 1969 Blues albums is Freddie King is a Blues Master, James Booker played on that as well. Do we know any albums he arranged though?

A bit of a long shot, but what about Esther Phillips - From a Whisper to a Scream ? I can't find Curtis in the credits for that one, but he's got arranging credits for other music with her around that time.
The Pure Pleasure version of Esther is amazing.

I don’t think it’s worth discussing as a possibility. Mega reach guess. If it was that the clue wouldn’t have been “soul/jazz vocalist”.

Fair points. I am certainly not a Photoshop expert. You are probably right about the extent of scanned originals.

Labels like Prestige, Jazzland and many other small to mid level labels of the day did a terrible job of keeping original cover materials, if they ever had them - many times it went straight to the printer and no one cared to get it back. Verve and Impulse stuff probably went up in smoke, as Atlantic probably did.

Major labels tend to have stuff. I understand that WEA and Sony owned stuff is mostly all there. Blue Note archives contain pretty much all the original imagery, but reissue labels must specifically ask and force the label to dig, as default is to send a .jpeg of whatever quality is on file. I would imagine in many cases it is just easier to work on what is given, particularly if running up against a release date, rather than wait for the label to find better.

Given how many times record labels have changed hands over the decades, nothing is a surprise. And let's be realistic - 50, 60 year old images and negatives are not always in great shape.
I still remember when the BN Anthology came out and VMP used the blown up CD artwork for Dexter Calling. They told everyone it was the artwork BN provided and insisted that nobody could find the original cover photos. A little while after they magically found the artwork after enough people complained.

I don’t doubt that it’s still an issue with VMP. They cropped Blossom Dearie just to remove the Verve logo. They don’t seem to want to do the legwork (or pay for it) to do a lot of great album covers. Compare it to a label like Sam Records who go the extra mile for their reissues…

Back