Vinyl Accessories?

• Thread starter Black Sheep Audio
  • Start date
B

Black Sheep Audio

Where do you guy/gals get those little circle bubble levels I see in many photo ?. I know there are the green ones on Ebay/Amz but it might take 3 months to get one from China, USPS, and would rather have white.

What are the best alternatives for the Zerodust ? Anyone recommend the Magic Eraser method, Blue Tac, Drum Pad gels, liquid stylus cleaner, or other ?

What is the best bargain record brush that works out there ?

I have a scale to use for stylus VTF.

Any other favorite vinyl accessories ?

Where do you guy/gals get those little circle bubble levels I see in many photo ?. I know there are the green ones on Ebay/Amz but it might take 3 months to get one from China, USPS, and would rather have white.

What are the best alternatives for the Zerodust ? Anyone recommend the Magic Eraser method, Blue Tac, Drum Pad gels, liquid stylus cleaner, or other ?

RE: blue tac....

Soundsmith recommends using it (DAP) and to very seldom wet clean

ZeroDust for sure is worth the money and I recommend, easy to use and easy to clean.
ZeroStat is optional in my opinion. I find mine well worth the price but I have static issues due to regional weather.
I have had a couple different Carbon Fiber Brush and they are all about the same to me. That said it is essential.
I also use a record brush on all my new records and sometimes some ones that have some clicks that just need a quick spruce in a jiffy. Right now I just got the generic Audio Technica one.

Before every side of a record I use the ZeroDust on the stylus and Carbon Fiber Brush on the record.

I actually got my levels from buying products online. Got some nice ones with my TV Mounts and one my little circle one with my Nest Thermostat (also came with a very handy small reversible Philips/flat screw driver).LOL

Every new album gets MoFi Sleeve and I like to keep all mine in Outer Sleeves that match also for consistency since I'm that OCD.

I used the magic eraser and it worked well but I like the ZeroDust better sitting on my console too. Plus a secret little upgrade rarely talked about is the magnifying glass on the lid that I use to look at the stylus and random stuff around the house when I need one.

The mirrored Hudson Protractor is nice. I have used paper and works but takes more time. I forgot how I did VTF but I did it manually somehow.

Why are you looking for an alternative for zerodust? The price (I see it selling for $40) or did you have an issue with it?

Honestly, I never heard of it - rare these days when a product that seems to be pretty well-regarded isn't somehow on the RADAR but maybe I've become too set in my ways and stopped looking. Looking at the reviews, I've seen some comparisons to blue tac/DAP and it bettering them. I think for the low-risk investment, I'm gonna give it a go.

Thanks (to you and others who mentioned it) for keying me in on something that looks cool.

Why are you looking for an alternative for zerodust? The price (I see it selling for $40) or did you have an issue with it?

Honestly, I never heard of it - rare these days when a product that seems to be pretty well-regarded isn't somehow on the RADAR but maybe I've become too set in my ways and stopped looking. Looking at the reviews, I've seen some comparisons to blue tac/DAP and it bettering them. I think for the low-risk investment, I'm gonna give it a go.

Thanks (to you and others who mentioned it) for keying me in on something that looks cool.

Frugality during covid, seems overpriced and some people think for a couple bucks you can accomplish the same results.

I agree the ZeroDust is overpriced but at the same time it is very useful, compact, and since it is easily cleaned should last a very long time. That and a good Carbon Fiber Brush in my opinion is almost a must if you want to preserve your stylus and records as long as possible.

Dust is the enemy.

I have seen a slightly larger version of this one on peoples tables to check table balance. This little one seems best for placing on the headshell.
Your query didn't specify. I use this for the plinth/platter:

I think the only potential knock on the zero dust is the possibility of wrenching the cantilever, either by pressing down too hard or with horizontal pressure. Just need to be gentle.

I use to use magic eraser but I never felt like getting crafty and concocting a case to put a piece of it in it. I ended up getting the Zerodust but I waited until the price dropped to $30 on Amazon. That was a few years ago and I feel like they use to be more expensive than the current $40.
I know there are more cost effective alternatives out there but the Zerodust just seems easier to use, plus the longevity allows it to be a good investment that will pay for itself over time.

Before every side of a record I use the ZeroDust on the stylus and Carbon Fiber Brush on the record.
am I using my ZeroDust wrong? I use it every once in a while, should it be used as often as after each side?

That is just what I do with the ZeroDust. I wouldn't say there is a right or wrong. I just do my best to avoid dust. Even just looking at the record after a couple passes with a carbon fiber brush some "stuff" can be left behind which in theory could be stuck to the stylus. As mentioned above I'm just OCD about it.

HiFi Guy right above this post suggests he doesn't like the ZeroDust and will just use a Magic Eraser. I trust his opinion as much as anybody. This is just my personal preference, and I originally used a magic eraser but it wasn't for me. Do what makes you feel comfortable, but in my experience at least consider keeping the stylus clean of debris.

Like I mentioned previously, I also bought a ZeroStat because I have a static issues in my environment, this forum covers a lot of ground across the globe so things can be different. Is mine because I live in St Louis USA or is it because I drag my feet across my carpet? A lot of things can come into play.

That is just what I do with the ZeroDust. I wouldn't say there is a right or wrong. I just do my best to avoid dust. Even just looking at the record after a couple passes with a carbon fiber brush some "stuff" can be left behind which in theory could be stuck to the stylus. As mentioned above I'm just OCD about it.

HiFi Guy right above this post suggests he doesn't like the ZeroDust and will just use a Magic Eraser. I trust his opinion as much as anybody. This is just my personal preference, and I originally used a magic eraser but it wasn't for me. Do what makes you feel comfortable, but in my experience at least consider keeping the stylus clean of debris.

Like I mentioned previously, I also bought a ZeroStat because I have a static issues in my environment, this forum covers a lot of ground across the globe so things can be different. Is mine because I live in St Louis USA or is it because I drag my feet across my carpet? A lot of things can come into play.
I agree. I tried both ZeroDust and Magic Eraser and felt like the ZeroDust did a better job. I could be fooling myself but that's my opinion even though just like you I value @HiFi Guy's opinions.

I think the only potential knock on the zero dust is the possibility of wrenching the cantilever, either by pressing down too hard or with horizontal pressure. Just need to be gentle.

Yeah, you definitely have to be gentle, but it has worked beautifully for me.

The chemicals on the Magic Eraser scare the hell out of me. That stuff eats through everything. I just have a good carbon fibre brush.

The chemicals on the Magic Eraser scare the hell out of me. That stuff eats through everything. I just have a good carbon fibre brush.

Yeah those chemicals are both magic and scary. Someone caught my car in the car park the other week and a wet magic eraser took all the paint transfer off. I’m not sure I want that scary magic stuff on my stylus...

Back