Vintage Furniture - The “In Love With Old Wood Things” Thread

We're tempted to buy a table and sideboard here to take with us to Oz as the stuff is so expensive out there!

If you’ve space in the container it’s definitely a good idea. Shipping vintage down there has to add zeros to consumer price and prices on new seem so high too!

I’d love an Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman at some point too but the market on those used in Europe is so overheated that you’re not really saving a huge amount on the silly money that Vitra ask for the licenced reproductions.

I’d love an Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman at some point too but the market on those used in Europe is so overheated that you’re not really saving a huge amount on the silly money that Vitra ask for the licenced reproductions.
We have a knockoff Plycraft eames chair but it needs some new padding and for the price it would cost to reupholster it nicely could just buy a new comfier chair. I do love the legit ones though. There’s a design with reach outlet near where we used to live. They had one on sale for….$6300 or something hah. The name “design within reach” always makes me laugh every time I look at a price tag in their store.

One of my other favorite pieces in my place is this "coffee table". It's probably a century old, possibly more... It's a tarred wood and iron trolly cart that a designer added a metal top to and sold at one of my local antique shops a few years back. It weighs about 500 lbs and it still rolls like It came off the factory line yesterday... They do not, make anything like this anymore...

20210625_175847.jpg20210625_175857.jpg20210625_175912.jpg

View attachment 103800View attachment 103799When I re-designed our kitchen I went with a MCM styled design. All the cabinets are teak with grain matched doors. So the grain flows across the whole length of the cabs.

Top of my wish list if I ever change my kitchen is no handles! I love handleless doors! But wooden cabinets with a white work surface is the plan. The kitchen is quite deep into the open plan living space so I probably will pick a lighter coloured wood than teak for it, maybe a light oak.

Top of my wish list if I ever change my kitchen is no handles! I love handleless doors! But wooden cabinets with a white work surface is the plan. The kitchen is quite deep into the open plan living space so I probably will pick a lighter coloured wood than teak for it, maybe a light oak.
Yeah I got the lowest profile handles I could find. But no handles would be way better.

Yeah I got the lowest profile handles I could find. But no handles would be way better.

Yeah I’ve noticed that there are a lot more kitchens around now that have the groove across the top rather than a separate handle. That’s pretty much exactly what I’d be after!

Your kitchen is pretty stunning though. Really fits in with the whole “vibe”.

Yeah I’ve noticed that there are a lot more kitchens around now that have the groove across the top rather than a separate handle. That’s pretty much exactly what I’d be after!

Your kitchen is pretty stunning though. Really fits in with the whole “vibe”.
Thanks mate, I should probably have "It's a vibe" emblazoned on my tombstone. It's definitely my thing...

View attachment 103800View attachment 103799When I re-designed our kitchen I went with a MCM styled design. All the cabinets are teak with grain matched doors. So the grain flows across the whole length of the cabs.
I'm going to offload your pictures and steal this because if you took the 2nd pic, put a small spice closet next to the door frame to the left of the oven, switched the oven and fridge positions, and put a pantry next to the right of the fridge, you'd have my kitchen design exactly. On the first picture, enlarge the window and put a column where your wedge counter is and that's also how our kitchen looks. You actually just gave me a great idea to get more counter room in our kitchen.

Back