Vincent Pho 700 setup

tvham

Kind of a dumb question but is there any potential long term damage by having the preamp sitting on top of the power supply? (see pic) I have room to have each on either side of my integrated amplifier but honestly prefer the look of them stacked. Thanks!

88633C6C-D7F5-4D50-80EE-39AC28839488.jpeg

Kind of a dumb question but is there any potential long term damage by having the preamp sitting on top of the power supply? (see pic) I have room to have each on either side of my integrated amplifier but honestly prefer the look of them stacked. Thanks!

View attachment 126337
Not a dumb question at all. The Vincent documentation shows the units stacked, and I agree it looks cool. But then Vincent specifically recommends not stacking the units, instead placing them as far apart as possible, for "sound quality." Maybe try an A/B comparison, first stacked, then separated, to see if you can hear a difference in the sound quality? If not, then stack 'em up!

Not a dumb question at all. The Vincent documentation shows the units stacked, and I agree it looks cool. But then Vincent specifically recommends not stacking the units, instead placing them as far apart as possible, for "sound quality." Maybe try an A/B comparison, first stacked, then separated, to see if you can hear a difference in the sound quality? If not, then stack 'em up!
Yeah, I was thrown by their recommendation then all the pics I see online show them stacked. Luckily I have room to spread them out a bit, I'll play with it.

Last edited:

My guess is that they’re in separate units to, as best as possible, isolate any electrical noise from the power supply colouring the sound of the unit. By placing them on top, or next to each other, you’re kind of undoing that. Whether it’s that big a difference or not in a set up I suppose will depend on the listener!

My guess is that they’re in separate units to, as best as possible, isolate any electrical noise from the power supply colouring the sound of the unit. By placing them on top, or next to each other, you’re kind of undoing that. Whether it’s that big a difference or not in a set up I suppose will depend on the listener!
Exactly, but I don't think stacking will cause any damage.

Yeah, I was thrown by their recommendation then all the pics I see online show them stacked. Luckily I have room to spread them out a bit, I'll play with it. Thanks again for the Vincent!
When they're stacked, try turning the volume up with nothing playing, to see if there's any hum. Try that with the units separated too, that might answer the question.

When they're stacked, try turning the volume up with nothing playing, to see if there's any hum. Try that with the units separated too, that might answer the question.
I went ahead and did this, both stacked and separated. There was a bit of hum but only when I turned the volume up way higher that I would ever listen to, and it was just as loud stacked and separated. So I think for now I'll leave them stacked as I like the look better that way.
Thanks all!

Back