Turntable died - to repair or replace?

tvham

Last week my 4.5 year old Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB went from spinning perfectly fine to slowing WAY down (like 33 seems to be spinning at like 20, and 45 at like 30) I swapped out the belt and lubed the subplatter but that didn't work so I took it to a local turntable expert recommended to me from a couple of friends and he said he can't fix it. I'm having trouble finding anyone else in San Francisco who can look at it, and it's pretty damn frustrating!

I imagine it's something with the built in speed box but really have no idea as I'm clueless when it comes to such matters. I have an email out to Pro-Ject but they haven't gotten back to me yet but am thinking if it is the SB then maybe I can have someone swap that out, or get an external SB and override the built in one (though that kinda defeats the purpose of having the TT I have)

So hear I am thinking I might just get a new turntable to replace this one...at this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do but thought I'd to see if that's a crazy idea or if I have no other choice in the matter since I can't find someone to fix my existing table.

Thoughts?

Last week my 4.5 year old Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB went from spinning perfectly fine to slowing WAY down (like 33 seems to be spinning at like 20, and 45 at like 30) I swapped out the belt and lubed the subplatter but that didn't work so I took it to a local turntable expert recommended to me from a couple of friends and he said he can't fix it. I'm having trouble finding anyone else in San Francisco who can look at it, and it's pretty damn frustrating!

I imagine it's something with the built in speed box but really have no idea as I'm clueless when it comes to such matters. I have an email out to Pro-Ject but they haven't gotten back to me yet but am thinking if it is the SB then maybe I can have someone swap that out, or get an external SB and override the built in one (though that kinda defeats the purpose of having the TT I have)

So hear I am thinking I might just get a new turntable to replace this one...at this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do but thought I'd to see if that's a crazy idea or if I have no other choice in the matter since I can't find someone to fix my existing table.

Thoughts?
I'd try going to a hifi shop that sells the higher end Pro-ject tables. They might have a better idea of if it's worth fixing and what the cost should be.

However, if you've in a position to buy a new table, that's always fun. Especially if it's an upgrade.

Thoughts?
Was the turntable expert a Pro-ject dealer? I’d give a call to a local dealer and get their opinion.

I think a lot of my advice would depend on budget. If you’re just looking to pay around the same to replace it I’d exhaust all avenues in terms of speaking to Pro-ject and their local dealers trying to fix it. If you’re to properly upgrade then it might be a sign from the universe lol!

The us pro-ject distributor is:

Sumiko Audio - Hi-end products in North America

Was the turntable expert a Pro-ject dealer? I’d give a call to a local dealer and get their opinion.

No, he was more along the lines of an old school turntable guy who everyone swears by to get their tables up and running again. The problem is I called a local dealer and they recommended a similar guy who told me it would be a month until he could even look at it. I'm hoping Pro-Ject gets back to me with someone they would recommend fixing it.

I'd try going to a hifi shop that sells the higher end Pro-ject tables. They might have a better idea of if it's worth fixing and what the cost should be.

However, if you've in a position to buy a new table, that's always fun. Especially if it's an upgrade.

I'd prefer not buying a new TT right now with the holidays coming up but I can definitely swing it...and not sure if it's an upgrade or a lateral move but looking at a Fluance rt85.

I think a lot of my advice would depend on budget. If you’re just looking to pay around the same to replace it I’d exhaust all avenues in terms of speaking to Pro-ject and their local dealers trying to fix it. If you’re to properly upgrade then it might be a sign from the universe lol!

The us pro-ject distributor is:

Sumiko Audio - Hi-end products in North America
Thanks for this, I called one of the local shops that I didn't know carried Pro-Ject and the guy is at least going to touch base with Sumiko and see if he can help me figure out what's going on!

I'm hoping Pro-Ject gets back to me with someone they would recommend fixing it.
Glad you got in touch with a dealer. Pro-ject is pretty well known for not getting back in touch with US customers. This is honestly why manufacturers use distributors internationally. It's not just about moving product for sale, but also assisting with and managing service.

and not sure if it's an upgrade or a lateral move but looking at a Fluance rt85.
It's probably a general lateral move, but I haven't used both so I can't say for sure.

Back