Tracking Force Question

spieg16

Hey All,

I have an ortofon 2m red, and i've been noticing a super annoying issue where, when I'm walking around my living room, there's certain spots that will make my tonearm jump and cause a skip. I had the tracking force set to 2.0g (ortofon recommends 1.6-2.0) and this was happening. I decided to just see and if I added a little weight to it if it would fix the issue, and lo and behold it did. I upped it to 2.20-2.25g. I know that having the tracking force too high can cause stylus/record wear faster, but I'm wondering how major the 0.25g increase would be considered. Am I actually endangering my collection/stylus, or is it a relatively minor difference?

Also, just to add in, i did check and make sure that the turntable is completely level in all directions, and it's sitting on a very heavy cabinet full of vinyl.

Hey All,

I have an ortofon 2m red, and i've been noticing a super annoying issue where, when I'm walking around my living room, there's certain spots that will make my tonearm jump and cause a skip. I had the tracking force set to 2.0g (ortofon recommends 1.6-2.0) and this was happening. I decided to just see and if I added a little weight to it if it would fix the issue, and lo and behold it did. I upped it to 2.20-2.25g. I know that having the tracking force too high can cause stylus/record wear faster, but I'm wondering how major the 0.25g increase would be considered. Am I actually endangering my collection/stylus, or is it a relatively minor difference?

Personally I wouldn’t go that far above the recommended guidelines, I have my tracking force to the upper end of the recommended but not above. The issue you have is an isolation one, vibrations are getting to the table as you walk by. I’d be looking at ways of isolating the turntable from that vibration (isolation platforms/boxes) instead. Or if it’s certain areas could it be a loose floorboard(s) instead? Could that be an easier fix?

Hey All,

Did you set the tracking force using the scale markings on the counterweight, or did you use a digital gauge?

I did it with the scale markings on the counterweight. Do you think it's worth picking up a stylus gauge?
Those scale markings aren't always accurate. Unless you tested it with a gauge, it's unclear what the tracking force is actually set at.
2.25 g on the counterweight might really be 2.0 g. I use this digital gauge, only $16 shipped from a decent company, there are similar units available on amazon:
My point is you might not be exceeding the recommended tracking force, in which case your fix is fine. I don't know whether exceeding the recommended tracking force could be a problem for the stylus or your records.

Last edited:
Back